PDA

View Full Version : Water Tank

hitchup
03-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Found out a few minutes ago, that we can take our unit into the dealership on our way north. They can supply us a space in their parking lot, but it only has power. We have to bring our own water.

So the question of the day. Do we plan on filling the tank as full as possible or is 1/3-1/2 okay? David has always drained the tank to keep the weight down. With the new TV, we don't have that concern. But am curious does the water sloshing ever cause issues at 1/2 tank or less? Or does it actually drive better?

Vickie

rverdlm
03-16-2007, 07:55 PM
We usually drive with the tank 1/3 full, but if we are going to be dry camping we fill it up completely. I don't think I can tell the difference with respect to the towing. I just normally leave it 1/3rd full to save some weight.

Hobo
03-16-2007, 08:10 PM
The sloshing never bothers anything. In fact it is good for the black tank to have a little water in it to slosh around.

As far as how much water you need?, well depend on how long you plan to stay. If it is just 1 night with shower for 2, 1/2 a tank would be plenty.
Bringing a jug or water from town now and then I have spent 3 weeks dry camping on a tank of water.
rick

Motor31
03-17-2007, 09:40 AM
We travel with 1/3 tank. If we need to dry camp, depending on how long we'll be doing so, we'll fill it more. We have filled completely for dry camping of more than 4 days and do so as close to the camp location as possible to be as easy on the rig as we can. It's quite a bit of weight to be boucing around all day. I noticed no real difference in the way the trailer handled other than it was heavier for start and stop.

Keep in mind that it does take a while to drain the tank if you use the drain valve and it's a lot of water on the ground. We do flush the tank at least every other month so we don't keep the same water in it all the time.

hitchup
03-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks all, that gives us something to consider. We could stay in the dealership if they have room, in a RVP about 30 min away or leave the RV & are within walking distance of a motel. Either way, we're only hoping they will need our unit one or two days at the most.

Vickie