PDA

View Full Version : Generator opinions

2 DA WDS
12-05-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm thinking about getting a generator for occasional boondocking and to power my fridge and furnace in my stick house during power outages. I was wondering what some of you use. I would plan on carrying it in the truck bed. Do you go all out and get one big enough to run everything or a smaller lighter one that will run maybe one a/c and the tv?

billr
12-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Tom,

I have a Honda EU3000 and find it serves our needs. Will power 1 AC or any other needs no problem. Very quiet and economical. Is a bit heavy at 140lbs.

Heard many like the Honda EU2000 , hooking two together.

Cheers,
Bill

hitchup
12-05-2006, 08:29 AM
We had multiple power outages during our first summer in SC. So we bought one (5500?) from Home Depot for our other 5er. It couldn't handle one AC & one small TV on a load. So it went right back for credit.

We continued our research & found a Yamaha 6600 at Wise Sales before winter hit. They shipped it to us at David's jobsite. Price was higher than the first one, but the same as 2- Honda 2000 w/connector.

We gave it a good workout this summer when we were without power for more than 24 hrs thanks to Hurricane Ernesto hitting Williamsburg. We ran it over 7 hrs & still didn't run out of gas.

It fits in the bed of the truck during transit & sits under a slide when we're parked. It's heavy so we don't move it too often. :shock:

http://www.wisesales.com/YamahaGenerators.html

JudyGail
12-05-2006, 09:24 AM
We continued our research & found a Yamaha 6600 at Wise Sales before winter hit. They shipped it to us at David's jobsite. Price was higher than the first one, but the same as 2- Honda 2000 w/connector.

I'm curious... how many decibals does the 6600 run?

Motor31
12-05-2006, 09:35 AM
The generaot size depends on what you plan to use it for. Since you are thinking of running your house on it you need to compute the load you'll put on it and get the power to match (exceed) that load. In the case of your house you may be ahead getting a contractor style gen set of about 5,000 or higher as those units are quite a bit cheaper than an RV style set. You also won't be so worried about noise bothering your neighbors in that case either.

For the RV, what do you plan to run with it? If you are planning to run an AC unit you'll need a Honda 3000 (or 2 Honda 2000's) or the equivalent in the Yamaha brand. If you do not plan on running the AC qa single Honda 2000 will run everything else in the MS. Since the electric water heater and the fridge are power hogs I set them to run on propane when boon docking. They don't use that much gas and the generator will run quieter and far longer without those loads.

The Honda's and Yamaha's are both quiet units and fuel efficient for RV's but may not be big enough to run your stick house depending on what you have for appliances. If you need the AC on in your house you'llneed a really stout generator.

JudyGail
12-05-2006, 09:37 AM

I'm curious... how many decibals does the 6600 run?

Never mind, I looked it up. At 73-1/2 decibals, I don't want to be parked near your rig when you're running the generator.

Tom, I'd suggest that if you are going to be parking near other people, you find a generator that runs 65 dBA or less. Some campgrounds won't allow you to run a generator that is higher than 65.

We'll be boondocking nearly all the time after we retire and we've got our big generator (Kubota 7000) to do the heavy duty work like running our 220 Washer/Dryer and then we've got a Yamaha 2000 for those times we need to run the little A/C or the microwave or when it's cloudy and the solar panels aren't doing us much good.

JudyGail
12-05-2006, 10:14 AM
...and then we've got a Yamaha 2000 for those times we need to run the little A/C or the microwave or when it's cloudy and the solar panels aren't doing us much good.

Sorry.... it's the Honda 2000 we have.

2 DA WDS
12-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need a 3000. All I want to run at the house would be the fridge and furnace. The Illinois ice storm only knocked us out for a day this time and the firplace and a propane heater kept us warm this time but a litle power would have been nice.

bobvp
12-05-2006, 11:42 AM
I bought two of the Honda EU2000 and the kit to connect the two. together. I like the fact that they are small, quite, and fuel efficient. They are easy to lift into the bed of the truck or place inside the basement, one on each side. I plan on making two tie down places so that they don't move around while traveling.

While at home, I can hook both up and run the furnance, frig and freezer. I would also like to install those special breaker panels near my house panel to hook up the generators whenever we have a power failure. In this way, I can select what will be used on my generators.

hitchup
12-05-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm curious... how many decibals does the 6600 run? Never mind, I looked it up. At 73-1/2 decibals, I don't want to be parked near your rig when you're running the generator.

That's ok, we don't boondock. If we did cross paths, we'll just plan on parking next to you & using your Kubota to run our big screen. 8)

BTW: The RVP we're in won't let anyone use a generator unless the power is out.

Vickie

JudyGail
12-05-2006, 02:29 PM
That's ok, we don't boondock. If we did cross paths, we'll just plan on parking next to you & using your Kubota to run our big screen. 8)
Vickie

Okay, but it'll cost ya a gallon of diesel. :D

fiverdriver
12-07-2006, 09:37 PM
I ordered my trailer with the "gen prep" which gave me the empty box up front with a 50 amp plug inside.

I have two Honda 2000's hooked together along with a six gallon gas tank using a tee fitting to supply both generators and have them sitting inside the front generator box plugged into the 50 amp receptacle.

On our recent 5 month trip I used them only once at the Albuquerque balloon fiesta where we dry camped for a week.

They were very quiet, ran the microwave, TV, Espresso machine, etc with no problems and used very little gas. Actually I found that I only needed one to run everything but the microwave so usually just cranked one up.

At 47 pounds apiece they are ideal for tossing into the back of the truck and having power wherever you need it.

tomriley
12-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Tom,

We chose 2 - Honda 2000i units and the associated "parallel" kit, which work great for our needs. Unless there is a need to run the A/C, we usually only run one of the units. They have an "Econo" switch which causes the generators to adjust their throttle setting to the load, such that under lights loads, they are almost idling, whereas they will speed up when something like the microwave comes on-line.

They are very quite, easy to start, very fuel efficient, and light enough that one person can easily lift them in and out of the truck bed. I secure then down with a tie-down strap when traveling.

2 DA WDS
12-08-2006, 05:10 PM
I see that a few of you have 2 hondas and a parallel kit. Why, isn't that more expensive than 1 3500-4000?

rverdlm
12-08-2006, 09:24 PM
I don't know about cost, but I can easily carry 2 2000i's and I can't carry a 3500-4000 or lift it on or off the truck.

cptxguys
12-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Tom,
Also take a look at the Yamaha Generators. We have the Yamaha EF2400is. We have two of them. We use one when we don't need the A/C and use two (with a parallel plug) in the summer. We chose the Yamaha over the Honda becuse we can power more with one unit, it has a longer run time, and has a fuel guage.

I've constructed the parallel kit myself. You can see phots on my website or directly via the Yahoo link - http://new.photos.yahoo.com/cptxguys/album/576460762310621090

In addition, I constructed an extended run fuel tank. I can run approximately 30 hours (under load) without refueling.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/cptxguys/album/576460762310621090

My first attempt with only one fuel barb in the cap was not successful, I needed a method for the tank to vent so the air would escape and the fuel would siphon into the tank.

Last I checked, Duration Power offers tanks for Honda, and was working on tanks for Yamaha generators.

http://durationpower.com/store//index.html

FWIW, I purchased both units from wise sales. They are also great for parts and accessories. - www.wisesales.com We also purchased hour meters, generator covers, and the additional fuel caps for the extended run tanks.

Info on the EF2044is - http://www.wisesales.com/YamahaEF2400iS.html

Both units fit easily in the bed of the truck. I have a roll top cover to protect them from rain during transport.

I have 'field tested' a single unit. It was capable of running the 15K BTU A/C (or heat pump), along with the refrigerator, power converter (I don't know what 'stage', and TV. However, If I'm going to be using a power 'hog' like the A/C, I prefer to use both generators in parallel.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

berghild
05-26-2007, 03:02 PM
i do not know if this subject is too old to post on but i will try. Can We run the Honda 3000 in the generator prepped compartment or does it have to be a re3gular RV generator to be closed up in there?
we would like the remote start feature on the Honda 3000 and according to the stats, it rusn a couple decibles quieter than even the 2000's. anyone with any experience on this? we have a 2000..but may go to bigger unit.
the Yamaha sounds good too ...how many decibles does that one run? and I bet it was less expensive. cyndy

billr
05-26-2007, 03:59 PM
We have a eu3000 Honda, it works great, can run one AC and a few other items. It is very quiet. I don't think it can be used inside a closed compartment, it req air around it for cooling. It doesn't have a regular exhaust pipe it has a vent like finned area at the top, so no way to route the exhaust outside. The built in units draw the cooling air from an area below them and they need the compartment closed.

I installed mine on a slider unit and slide it out to run, and stow it away when not needed. Works great for me.

There are pics here on a post of mine http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1238&highlight=

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Bill

berghild
05-26-2007, 11:42 PM
thanks for your input. slider sounds like a cool idea. we didn't know that the gen prep would take up a lot of space.....that stinks...we don't want the onan... makes too much noise.
shoot now what to do. don't know how far along construction is and do can't picture all the stuff about the plugs etc.....maybe when we get there!