PDA

View Full Version : Clogged filter

mrkgrysngr
11-01-2006, 07:57 AM
My Duramax went down the day before yesterday and I was able to have it towed to a dealership here in Idaho. At first they thought it was the injectors by the way I had lost power. Would only run about 18 MPH. They called late yesterday afternoon and said that no codes had been set and it looked like it was just a clogged fuel filter.

Questions: Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can a clogged filter actually cause the truck to go into "limp" mode like that?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you all might have.

Mark

westx
11-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Yep it happened to me with my 2003, Changed filter and everything is OK

billr
11-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Yup! It can. Mine was ok though when I had the Injector problems, the filter was replaced not too long before.

Good to hear only a filter!

Cheers,
Bill

Hobo
11-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I had my truck limp to a stop last fall when I was caught in a cold snap in TX. I had stopped for the night with only had 1/4 tank. The next day I headed out and all was fine till 5 miles down the road and my fuel was jelling. I turned around but didn't make it back to a station before I was at a complete stop.
I sat on the side of the road for 45 minutes till it warmed up were I could pump fuel though the filter with the primer pump. Started up ok and I put in some additives with the next fill up. Had the filter changed 4 months later under a recall but had no problems at the time.
Hope your problems are behind you.
Rick

cptxguys
11-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Mark,
This is a common issue with early Duramax engines. If you wish, you can read about it on the diesel page forums - http://www.thedieselpage.com/

We have an 2005 3500 D/A and had the fuel filter clog at 18,000 miles and go into limp mode. It gave a fuel rail low pressure code on the diagnostics.

We now change the filter with each oil change and haven't had any issues.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Robert

cptxguys
11-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Mark,
This is a common issue with early Duramax engines. If you wish, you can read about it on the diesel page forums - http://www.thedieselpage.com/

We have an 2005 3500 D/A and had the fuel filter clog at 18,000 miles and go into limp mode. It gave a fuel rail low pressure code on the diagnostics.

We now change the filter with each oil change and haven't had any issues.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Robert