PDA

View Full Version : Roadside Assistance

friz
02-17-2019, 08:10 AM
Good Sam's is offering Roadside assistance for $79.99 for 39 hours more. Usually leary of this sales tactic so I thought I would ask here. Is that a good deal? What Roadside Assistance do you use and how much? Obviously I need/want it. Have been out of RVing for 12 years. We will be on the road in a couple of months.

Notanlines
02-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Friz, look at your insurance policy. Geico is our carrier and their roadside assistance is a fraction of the $79.

wingnut60
02-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Have had GS for many years, has worked well for us--2 big tows, one in Canada that would have been over $2k. Have you ever had a breakdown with your RV previously? Some have written is hasn't worked in their case and were really mad about it; others have said like me, it works. If you are worried about your tires or your engine getting old, might be worth a shot. Just remember, there are only a limited number of sources for help that you might need, and all the roadside assistance plans work off those same sources when you need help.

friz
02-17-2019, 01:34 PM
Friz, look at your insurance policy. Geico is our carrier and their roadside assistance is a fraction of the $79.

GEICO is also our auto carrier. Several years ago one had to have full coverage to get roadside assistance at no additional cost. Otherwise no roadside assistance offered. I do not have full coverage. Also, would my truck and 5th wheel be covered at the same time? If my truck breaks down I would not like to leave the 5th wheel on the side of the road.

friz
02-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Have had GS for many years, has worked well for us--2 big tows, one in Canada that would have been over $2k. Have you ever had a breakdown with your RV previously? Some have written is hasn't worked in their case and were really mad about it; others have said like me, it works. If you are worried about your tires or your engine getting old, might be worth a shot. Just remember, there are only a limited number of sources for help that you might need, and all the roadside assistance plans work off those same sources when you need help.

OK, you got me. What is GS? Not really discussing the pros and cons of roadside assistance. Pretty much sold on the concept. More interested in Good Sam's offer and what others pay. Thanks anyhow.

Friz

GlennWest
02-17-2019, 08:02 PM
We have Cloachnet. Not as cheap as some others but great reviews and they will tow my truck if needed.

Dr. D
02-18-2019, 04:35 PM
I have had a bad experience with GoodSam RV Roadside Assist. I recommend AAA.

wingnut60
02-18-2019, 10:25 PM
friz--GS = Good Sam. Affinity Corp, parent company of Camping World, Gander Outdoors, Good Sam Insurance and lots of other money-generating things. Ever read Trailer Life--that is Affinity.

elliott-maine
02-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Bad experience with GS, Great experience with Coachnet.

MTK46
02-26-2019, 05:56 PM
Use to but that was back in 2002

JonnyRidinDirty
05-01-2019, 11:01 AM
AAA is the known one.. But definitely check your insurance to keep it simpler

wingnut60
05-08-2019, 07:07 PM
AAA has a checkered history of tows for RVs, so I have read on several forums...no personal experience.