PDA

View Full Version : Tire recommendations

whmayhew
07-16-2018, 01:07 AM
My Goodyear G114's are 6 years old and should be replaced. What would you recommend for a good, safe tire?

chevman
07-16-2018, 10:36 AM
I think what you have has been a good safe tire. I would buy what has worked for you already.

chevman

Notanlines
07-16-2018, 11:20 AM
I would simply read what you wrote and go from there. Why would you want to change brands after a six year run?

Cummins12V98
07-16-2018, 11:39 AM
Personally I would go 8 years with those tires!!!

Stick with GY as they are the only ones that will take care of damage and not require an insurance claim.

Stripit
07-16-2018, 11:49 AM
I agree with all the posts, Goodyear did well by me and many others when a tire fails for some reason. I think for the money you get a good tire that was built for the job. I would replace with the same brand and size.

WRWGN
07-16-2018, 02:20 PM
I agree. I had an issue with sidewall separation on two of the GY tires on my truck and GY replaced all 6 of them. I've not had any issues with any of the GY trailer tires I've had.

Mtntrek
07-16-2018, 02:58 PM
More of the same.
For a trailer that was going to only sit at resort and not travel, I might have a slightly modified suggestion.

porthole
07-17-2018, 09:32 PM
Although I am a fan of the GY G-114, and a victim of a catastrophic failure, I will limit my tires to 5 years, and replace them with G-114's

whmayhew
07-22-2018, 03:14 PM
I drive tractor trailer and we run all Chinese tires pulling 100,000 pounds plus. I have not put any miles on our camper. This is Porkchop's old one. We are going to Yellowstone from Maine early next May and just thinking ahead. The Chinese tires are a lot cheaper. Was just trying to pick out a reputable brand. I heard that Sailun are pretty good. Just wanted a second opinion.

wingnut60
07-22-2018, 04:49 PM
Ran 17.5 Sailuns on my last '05 36TKE for over 15000 miles and a trip to AK--they were in great shape when I traded for the '15.
My previous F450 ran the 19.5 Sailuns and had over 60k on them when traded for the '17 and lots of tread left.
I will seriously consider them again when the time comes.

Cummins12V98
07-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Just an FYI if anyone cares the Sailun tires are Made in China. From what I have read they have a good track record. I will stick with GY's for my RV's and Michelins on my Vehicles.

wingnut60
07-22-2018, 07:26 PM
Yep, Sailuns are Chinese made. I was skeptical when first thinking about them, but numerous reports of them lasting and have yet to read of one that blew out (surely it has happened, just not mentioned that I have seen), I decided to try them. They did better than the Michelin XTAs that had tread separations on 2 of 4 on my previous '05, and Michelin would have nothing to do with replacing/compensation. My current '15 has the OEM GY G-114s and noticing some uneven tread wear--not from alignment. When it comes to replacing them next summer, will be hard pressed not to use Sailuns.

Simple Tire:
Sailun S737 H------$147
Michelin XTA J------ 370
GY G-114 H-------- 347

Based on my experience with one set (also had Sailun 19.5s on the last 450) I can see that it is easy to get 2 sets for much less then Mich/GY pricing.
Not saying Sailuns are only way to go, but they seem to be holding up very well overall.
I neglected to say that there is also the mounting charge to be considered when buying from Simple Tire, but that would apply to the others as well. I believe the out-the-door price on M & GY are sometimes over $400 each.

Notanlines
07-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Also as an FYI, on the other two 5th wheel forums I follow the Sailuns always come to the top. Goodyear and Michelins of course will always peak, but as pointed out the money matters also.

Cummins12V98
07-23-2018, 09:49 AM
"My current '15 has the OEM GY G-114s and noticing some uneven tread wear--not from alignment."

Sounds like mine. Contact GY Customer Service. Ask to speak to the GY Rep in your area. Take it to a GY "OWNED" store!!! That is where I got chumped a bit by going to a independent GY store.

They pro rated 3 of my tires and the California Rep that I contacted after the dust had settled on the 3 tires had the 4th replaced for free on our return trip to SoCal.

This is what they look like prior to loosing the center tread and after. I had just checked the tires with a IR gun 15 minutes prior to seeing tread fly off.

If your tires are around this date code they are probably de laminating. Center tread comes off but outside does not. They don't blow unless you simply ignore them!

https://i.imgur.com/XMiNP5hl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/E9MuSjFl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/V8TGrL5l.jpg

porthole
07-23-2018, 01:14 PM
Take it to a GY "OWNED" store!!! That is where I got chumped a bit by going to a independent GY store.

Along those lines.

If you have work done at a GY owned store, getting work done that relates to the initial service is not that big of a deal.

If you go to an indy, good luck trying to get something taken care of at another indy.

If you have work done at an indy and they damage your fancy aluminum wheels - you have no recourse through GY and your battle will be with the indy owned store.

Stuckonsimple
07-23-2018, 03:16 PM
I agree with all the posts, Goodyear did well by me and many others when a tire fails for some reason. I think for the money you get a good tire that was built for the job. I would replace with the same brand and size.

I’m on board with that too!!

elliott-maine
07-23-2018, 04:51 PM
At just a few hundred dollars more than the Goodyears, you can buy 17.5 inch rims and Sailun tires. I did it, and like the security of the additional plys and weight carrying capacity. Simpletire.com is the best place to shop.

pearly44
07-23-2018, 07:44 PM
Be VERY careful. You can't put bigger rims and tires on your rig and not experience problems. Just today I had to rescue a newly obtained rig on I-95 S. in Florida due to mismatched rims and tires. The tires actually touched each other in turns because the previous owner of this newly acquired rig put 17s on a rig that came with 16s. The guy got down the road less than 15 miles with his new purchase and experienced two blowouts.

elliott-maine
07-23-2018, 08:16 PM
The Sailun 17.5" tires are actually a little less in diameter than the 16" Goodyears, so you shouldn't have any problems.

wingnut60
07-23-2018, 09:11 PM
I did the change from 16 to 17.5s—probably the best upgrade I have ever made. And if the tires were too close after the change, they were too close before.

porthole
07-23-2018, 11:11 PM
GY 17.5 G-114’s are within 1/4” of GY 16” G-614

mobilesuites40
07-25-2018, 12:38 AM
Sailun are my go to tire, second set in 8 years(replaced at 5 years), no issues on my previous 5th wheel 36 Teton . Tires still looked good when replaced at 5 years, didn't want to push past the 5 years with any tire.

Cummins12V98
07-25-2018, 07:44 AM
At just a few hundred dollars more than the Goodyears, you can buy 17.5 inch rims and Sailun tires. I did it, and like the security of the additional plys and weight carrying capacity. Simpletire.com is the best place to shop.

Tires in pic ARE 17.5's and do have a superior track record as do the GY "G" 16".

Even Sailun's have problems.

wingnut60
07-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Ron,
I am sure that any tire can have a problem, I just have not heard yet of a blowout with a Sailun...hopefully, someone that has had a bad experience will chime in.
Joe

Cummins12V98
07-26-2018, 09:12 AM
Ron,
I am sure that any tire can have a problem, I just have not heard yet of a blowout with a Sailun...hopefully, someone that has had a bad experience will chime in.
Joe

I have read about a couple on other forums, but like I said they do have a good track record.

Difference is they will not pay for damages as GY will. So that would mean an insurance claim.

Nice to have choices!

wingnut60
07-26-2018, 09:26 AM
GY damage reimbursements is certainly a consideration. Michelin is out of running with me due to attitude on tread separations.
Do you have a link to a Sailun blowout discussion?
Joe

Cummins12V98
07-27-2018, 02:12 PM
GY damage reimbursements is certainly a consideration. Michelin is out of running with me due to attitude on tread separations.
Do you have a link to a Sailun blowout discussion?
Joe

No, just have to trust me.

Mtntrek
07-28-2018, 11:57 PM
Ron,
I am sure that any tire can have a problem, I just have not heard yet of a blowout with a Sailun...hopefully, someone that has had a bad experience will chime in. Joe
Nothing but trouble free miles on the last set of 5 I purchased for last trailer (Travel Supreme). Current owner still pleased with them also, spare has never been used, 4+ yrs. Can't honestly say I've ever heard a cross word on Sailun's by anyone running them. Perhaps some China bias by others (to be expected). A solid value in my pocketbook.

porthole
07-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Here is one saliun failure from my other Camp group.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/71816-Sailun-Blowout?highlight=Saliun+blowout

wingnut60
07-30-2018, 09:54 AM
Thanks. Read thru it all--going to chalk it up to 'it happens' and can to any tire. I'm going to be faced with replacing the G114s next summer and considering the GY warranty as a big part of the consideration.

Mtntrek
07-30-2018, 03:22 PM
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/71816-Sailun-Blowout?highlight=Saliun+blowout
Interesting read, thanks for posting.
I'm slightly impressed the tire hung together that long and didn't scatter. sigh. Still a pretty good track record.
Thanks. Read thru it all--going to chalk it up to 'it happens' and can to any tire. I'm going to be faced with replacing the G114s next summer and considering the GY warranty as a big part of the consideration.
Good points. Yeah, the warranty is indeed a little like an insurance policy in a way. Pay it now or later... And GY appears to honor theirs. A decision we'll all have.

CALinSC
07-30-2018, 05:56 PM

Here is a copy of the official report.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=PROD&prodType=T&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=SAILUN&stats=3490717%2C0%2C0%2C1%2C0%2CSAILUN&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.make=DYNAMIC+TIRE&searchCriteria.prod_ids=3490717

wingnut60
07-30-2018, 09:24 PM
That is an intriguing report of...not very much. Can't imagine if I had lost all 4 relatively new tires to 'deterioration' I would have been working hard with the distributor/Sailun to get some satisfaction.
But thanks for linking to that, not sure what to make of it.
Guess I started this by stating I "had not heard of problems with Sailuns" can't say that any longer.
Joe

CALinSC
07-31-2018, 11:14 AM
That is an intriguing report of...not very much. Can't imagine if I had lost all 4 relatively new tires to 'deterioration' I would have been working hard with the distributor/Sailun to get some satisfaction.
But thanks for linking to that, not sure what to make of it.
Guess I started this by stating I "had not heard of problems with Sailuns" can't say that any longer.
Joe

The reasons for posting that NHTSA report was multipl. It shows where to look for official reports and the difficulty encountered when the manufacturers are in China.

In this case, Dynamic is the OCM tire provider for Hartland trailers. It's the only Sailun complaint I could find. Tredit, another large OEM tire provider that also handles Sailun tires has never filed a complaint against the Sailun brand.

Jimfla
08-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Goodyear will only pay if the tire is under 4 years old I had 2 blow out they were 5 years old wouldn’t pay anything .

wingnut60
08-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Hadn't heard of the time limit, good to know. Thanks.
Joe

Mtntrek
08-09-2018, 02:11 AM
Goodyear will only pay if the tire is under 4 years old I had 2 blow out they were 5 years old wouldn’t pay anything .
Hmm, we'll assume that is from the mfr. date stamp too? Sheds more light on "timed out" theory, sigh.

Thanks.

Cummins12V98
08-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Hmm, we'll assume that is from the mfr. date stamp too? Sheds more light on "timed out" theory, sigh.

Thanks.

I would highly advise calling GY Tech support. "Under 4 years" what does that mean, 3 years, 11 mo and 29 days??? I don't think so.

They replaced my Dad's at 6 years around 07 and paid the damages.

wingnut60
08-09-2018, 11:17 AM
I wonder about calling GY tech support:

"Say, my GY-114s are 6 years old--will you pay for any damages incurred from a blowout'?"

What do you think the answer would be?

CALinSC
08-09-2018, 01:15 PM
I wonder about calling GY tech support:

"Say, my GY-114s are 6 years old--will you pay for any damages incurred from a blowout'?"

What do you think the answer would be?

They will want to inspect the tire. (What's left of it).

porthole
08-09-2018, 06:16 PM

When I had my blowout the tires were 5 years and 2 months by date code and 4 years and 9 months by purchase date.

Not only did I receive reimbursement for the failed tire I also received reimbursement for the remaining 4 tires.

porthole
08-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Goodyear Tech Support is not the department to call when you have a blow out and damage.
Goodyear Property Damage Division is the department that will handle the claim.

Cummins12V98
08-10-2018, 10:36 AM
Goodyear Tech Support is not the department to call when you have a blow out and damage.
Goodyear Property Damage Division is the department that will handle the claim.

TRUE!!!

I can tell you from personal experience go to a GY "OWNED" store!!!

wingnut60
08-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Reply from GY on query as to warranty and I also asked about incidental damage:

Thank you for contacting our web site.

All Goodyear tires come with a six year limited warranty. During the first 12 months or 2/32" of tread wear, whichever comes first,
tires removed from service due to a covered warranty condition will be replaced with a comparable Goodyear product free of charge,
mounting and balancing are included.

Tires not eligible for free replacement that are removed from service due to a covered warranty condition will be replaced with a
comparable new Goodyear tire on a prorated basis for up to six (6) years from the date of purchase. (Without proof of purchase the
date of manufacture will be used to determine eligibility.)

Felicia S
Consumer Relations

Did not address my question as to incidental damage.

porthole
08-10-2018, 12:25 PM

That is because incidental damage is not covered by the tire division. As I mentioned above, damage is covered by the "property damage division"
(*800-322-4682‬)

Property Damage Claims Team
Attention Dept. 805
200 Innovation Way
Akron, OH 44316
800-322-4682 (phone)
888-307-1920 (fax)
pdct@goodyear.com (e-mail)

I was reimbursed for 5 tires (only one damaged and inspected), a wheel, body damage, and ancillary items.

I started my claim sometime in April 2015, around the 15th.
By the time I got my estimates together it was May 19th when I sent my claim request which included the following:
Attachments:

• Goodyear questionnaire
• Trailer Tire & Wheel, receipt for original tires and wheels (quantity 5)
• Risko RV, damage estimate
• Risko RV, receipt not available for estimate charge, $107.00
• Mason Tire, receipt for tire replacement
• Trailer Tire & Wheel, estimate for replacement rim and tire
• Duraflaps, estimate for mud flaps (does not include bracket)
• Home Depot, estimate for storage tube

At this time I only had the tires replaced, none of the other damage repair was started.

04/12 Blowout
04/15 Tires replaced
05/19 Claim sent to Goodyear
05/20 Goodyear release sent
05/21 Goodyear release returned
05/27 Goodyear check received

wingnut60
08-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Thank you.

Cummins12V98
08-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Reply from GY on query as to warranty and I also asked about incidental damage:

Thank you for contacting our web site.

All Goodyear tires come with a six year limited warranty. During the first 12 months or 2/32" of tread wear, whichever comes first,
tires removed from service due to a covered warranty condition will be replaced with a comparable Goodyear product free of charge,
mounting and balancing are included.

Tires not eligible for free replacement that are removed from service due to a covered warranty condition will be replaced with a
comparable new Goodyear tire on a prorated basis for up to six (6) years from the date of purchase. (Without proof of purchase the
date of manufacture will be used to determine eligibility.)

Felicia S
Consumer Relations

The will not cover road hazard.

Thanks for posting that!!!

Jimfla
08-11-2018, 10:44 AM
I didn’t just stop with the dealer distric manager called corporate I was told commercial tires were only 4 years from dot date.

wingnut60
08-11-2018, 11:33 PM
Are we talking about commercial tires when used on an RV?

Mtntrek
08-12-2018, 01:19 AM
Hmm, they are listed on the GY commercial truck / trailer site.
https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/tires/product-details.html?prodline=160807
i wonder if some folks have purchased optional insurance / warranty coverage, as the stated GY documentation is fairly "limited" after 12-mo. replacement then, pro-rated ??
As with most companies PR folks can make exceptions.

Cummins12V98
08-12-2018, 08:37 AM
They specifically say "Trailer Use Only". The warranty is 6 years.

porthole
08-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Are we talking about commercial tires when used on an RV?

I never gave any thought as to whether my tires were commercial or not as far as warranty and or coverage.

When I purchased my first set of tires I went for the 17.5's as my original rims were only 80 psi rated. Figured if I needed to buy rims I may as well buy what was then the number 1 rated (and priced) tire for my toy hauler. I was choosing between the G-614 or G-114.

Take it for what it is worth, if you have a blowout with either of the 614 or 114 and have damage, and you limit yourself to what the dealer tells you, so be it.

I've listed my personal expeierence, which covered 100% of the damage and 5 new tires from one blowout. I did the work myself so I did not get compensation for my time. But my estimate for the body damage was from a dealer. I was able to purchase the parts and decals and do that myself. In the end I came out ahead.

My expeierence is not unique. I have several friends that have had blowouts with 614's and got exactly the same response I did. Full compensation for the tire and damage. None of them thought to use the "my other tires have the same mileage and age" thing that I did, so they didn't get all new tires.

And in each case the "property damage" division of Goodyear gave the same request, "do not contact your insurance company ,we will cover all the damage".

i wonder if some folks have purchased optional insurance / warranty coverage

I guess you could say I did, since I purchased tires that were twice the cost on the competitors's :cool:

Sudsysr
01-20-2021, 12:52 PM
Looking for specs on hi spec rims 17.5. On 2014 MS. Needed for spare rim.

Tires

Looking at continental htl2 Eco plus
Also hankook th 22
Living in Ont Canada

wingnut60
01-20-2021, 01:49 PM
Try this link:

http://www.hispecwheel.com/products/765/Series-03

Believe the Series 03 is what you are looking for--as to tires in 17.5"--if you want the 17.5" wheel/tire, I suggest you go to the 235 size and get the 6005#rated tire. Then get the 6050 wheel from Hi-Spec.
Over 10 years and 1000s of miles towing a Suites, I only had tire problems with GY and Michelin--both tread separations--also used Cooper/Sailun and only had one nail flat on those two brands. Then Continentals are good also, but pricey.
Changing a 16" Suites to 17.5" is usually a great way to have peace of mind on blowouts.

Sudsysr
01-20-2021, 02:52 PM
Have 17.5. On my trip back to Canada my spare rim went missing. I'm trying to provide specs to have a steel rim as spare.
Hankook DT 22 are speed rated 65. Leaning to continental. Sailun none around.

Cummins12V98
01-21-2021, 10:58 AM
Have 17.5. On my trip back to Canada my spare rim went missing. I'm trying to provide specs to have a steel rim as spare.
Hankook DT 22 are speed rated 65. Leaning to continental. Sailun none around.

Sounds like Continental is the way to go if having issues with GY "H" tires. Stop by Discount Tire they can get them for you.

monaj02@frontier.com
03-02-2021, 07:12 AM
What tire pressure to run on Saiun 17.5 tires

CALinSC
03-02-2021, 09:03 AM

If they are the same designated size as the tires listed on the vehicle certification label, the correct cold inflation pressures will also be depicted on the certification label.

If they are "plus sized" tires a new recommended cold inflation pressure needs to be established. The correct procedure is for the plus sized tires to have a cold inflation pressure that will provide the load capacity the OE tires provided. Optional pressures will start at what has been established and stop at tire sidewall max.

Cummins12V98
03-02-2021, 02:28 PM

Weigh your rig and use the weight/inflation chart for your tires then add 5psi.

CALinSC
03-02-2021, 11:06 PM
Because most 17.5" tires fitted to RV trailers may be described as commercial, does not open the door for inflating them to commercial tire values. FMCSA regulations are not applicable with FMVSS standards.

MTK46
03-08-2021, 04:14 PM
They will want to inspect the tire. (What's left of it).

Except for the first one I lost because of tread seperation, there wasn't any thing left of the other GY blowouts I had on my Teton.
One of many caused $4k+ of damage.
I don't run GY on anything I own.

Bobplouhar0@gmail.com
09-29-2021, 08:35 AM
Cummins thanks for the Dually tire pressure input my ram had20,000 miles on it when I bought it the front tires had cupping on outside tires so I did invert them like you said the cupping was to bad to salvage so I put new on front pulls down the road beautiful now I will rotate like you said in future for now I am running 65 psi in rear fully loaded and 70 in front I did have a 2016 f-250 3/4 ton this Ram 3500 long box handles my 16,000 pound rig beautiful the Dually is all the difference what brand tires on my truck would you recommend for me in the future thanks again

Cummins12V98
09-29-2021, 10:44 AM
Cummins thanks for the Dually tire pressure input my ram had20,000 miles on it when I bought it the front tires had cupping on outside tires so I did invert them like you said the cupping was to bad to salvage so I put new on front pulls down the road beautiful now I will rotate like you said in future for now I am running 65 psi in rear fully loaded and 70 in front I did have a 2016 f-250 3/4 ton this Ram 3500 long box handles my 16,000 pound rig beautiful the Dually is all the difference what brand tires on my truck would you recommend for me in the future thanks again

If your truck is 2wd 70 front is fine but if 4x then you need to run 80psi all the time. When solo I drop my rears to 30psi. Be sure to get the front aligned to 1/64" toe or you are just wasting your front tires.

Depending on your actual rear axle weight 65psi may be too much. that psi is for full RAWR of 9,750#. Use weight/inflation chart and add 5psi to the rears.

I like Michelins for my truck. 45k even tread wear on all six and lots of tread left at 45k.

Notanlines
09-29-2021, 06:46 PM
We also like Michelins and Continentals. No problems with either.

Bobplouhar0@gmail.com
09-29-2021, 07:13 PM
If your truck is 2wd 70 front is fine but if 4x then you need to run 80psi all the time. When solo I drop my rears to 30psi. Be sure to get the front aligned to 1/64" toe or you are just wasting your front tires.

Depending on your actual rear axle weight 65psi may be too much. that psi is for full RAWR of 9,750#. Use weight/inflation chart and add 5psi to the rears.

I like Michelins for my truck. 45k even tread wear on all six and lots of tread left at 45k.

Thank you for your input I went to cat scales with my 3/4 ton ford and drive axel was 6840 steer axel was 4800 trailer axel was 12280 1b that ford was 4x4 crew have not been to scales with my 2018 Ram crew 3500 Dually 4x4 and yes I’ll get allinement to 1/64 toe

Cummins12V98
09-29-2021, 07:39 PM
Thank you for your input I went to cat scales with my 3/4 ton ford and drive axel was 6840 steer axel was 4800 trailer axel was 12280 1b that ford was 4x4 crew have not been to scales with my 2018 Ram crew 3500 Dually 4x4 and yes I’ll get allinement to 1/64 toe

RAM's spec is 1/4" and really eats up the tires!

OneReallyOldGuy
07-08-2022, 08:46 AM
My G114’s (17.5) are starting to wear funny. I found this thread and as usual you guys are a treasure trove of information. It never even crossed my mind that Goodyear would cover trailer damage in the event of a blowout.
They are OEM on my 2019 suites. Never been balanced or rotated. There are no weights on them so I assume DRV does not balance them. Manufacture date stamp is 3518. I think at 4 years old they need to go. Your opinions? They are wearing on the outside edges and one is starting to cup pretty bad. I’ll try to attach a picture.
I’ve never bought heavy duty trailer tires so when you say go to a Goodyear company store do you mean the same place you buy passenger car tires?
Also where do I get an alignment done? Is it necessary?
Thanks,
Phil

Cummins12V98
07-08-2022, 08:59 AM
I advise calling GY and asking for the phone number for the GY Rep in your area. Talk to him and he will tell you where to take the tires to. Look at your other tires does it look like the center three ribs are higher than the outer two? Look at the pic I posted on the first page.

GY owned store will be much more fair with you on the pro rating. The rep has more control as to what they will do for you.

CALinSC
07-08-2022, 12:06 PM
My G114’s (17.5) are starting to wear funny. I found this thread and as usual you guys are a treasure trove of information. It never even crossed my mind that Goodyear would cover trailer damage in the event of a blowout.
They are OEM on my 2019 suites. Never been balanced or rotated. There are no weights on them so I assume DRV does not balance them. Manufacture date stamp is 3518. I think at 4 years old they need to go. Your opinions? They are wearing on the outside edges and one is starting to cup pretty bad. I’ll try to attach a picture.
I’ve never bought heavy duty trailer tires so when you say go to a Goodyear company store do you mean the same place you buy passenger car tires?
Also where do I get an alignment done? Is it necessary?
Thanks,
Phil

My best recommendation about your tire wear is to get an experienced tire installer to inspect them. You'll get a lot of different answers here because there are several different trailer conditions that will cause your tire wear.

Balancing is basically a product of tire manufacturers. When tires are used for trailer positions, balancing is seldom necessary. New tires have colored balancing dots on their sidewalls. When properly matched to the wheels they will not need any other balancing.

Balancing trailer wheel assemblies requires a hub centric adapter.

There are a lot of manufacturers now building 17.5" trailer tires. Most are less expensive than the GYs and just as reliable. Sailun comes to mind.

porthole
07-09-2022, 06:51 AM
Last year two of my GY tires cupped like many I’ve seen recently.
Had alignment checked at MOR/ryde (no issues)
Replaced with Continental’s, not taking a chance with another blowout.

OneReallyOldGuy
07-10-2022, 12:35 AM
Cummins, did you go back with GY after your tread issue? If so, any more problems? Mine do look like the first pics you posted. The Goodyear web site lists Discount Tire as an authorized dealer. I’ve bought tires there exclusively for at least 15 years. Since they also sell continental I’ll start there. The Michelins I have on my truck have 55k on them so it’s about time to replace them too. I bet the salesman will start to drool when I show up looking for 10 high dollar tires.
There is a Goodyear truck center in the city we’re close to so I’ll get them and a GY rep involved too.
Thanks guys
Phil

Cummins12V98
07-10-2022, 01:21 AM
I finally parted ways with GY on their G114's. Running too close to the limits of the tire they simply don't hold up with tread separation being the problem.

I am a BIG fan of their ENDURANCE line for lighter trailers.

YES get with your rep then he will direct you to the place closest to you he has control over.

Get the new set of tires from them and then if going to Continentals sell the GY's on Craigs List.

OneReallyOldGuy
07-11-2022, 07:02 PM
Mine don’t seem to be as raised in the center as yours. I’ve attached a pic of each one. Your thoughts?
Although getting them prorated then selling them isn’t practical it’s a good idea I’ve nowhere to store them until they are sold.

Cummins12V98
07-11-2022, 07:52 PM
I am not so sure they will pro rate those. Have you replaced your shocks? What year is the RV? What cold psi are you running? Have you ever had it aligned?

OneReallyOldGuy
07-11-2022, 07:58 PM
Never replaced the shocks. Never had it aligned. It’s a 2019. Got it in August 2018. I run 125psi cold as per the plate on the coach. Looks like they have been run under inflated doesn’t it?
Phil

porthole
07-12-2022, 08:59 AM
Never replaced the shocks. Never had it aligned. It’s a 2019. Got it in August 2018. I run 125psi cold as per the plate on the coach. Looks like they have been run under inflated doesn’t it?
Phil

Yours look better than mine and almost the same age.
I have two that look good and two the a cupped and questionable.

Cummins12V98
07-12-2022, 09:43 AM
Shocks should still be fine but honestly they are the bottom of the barrel Monroes. If you ever want to put on their best RV shock the number is 555001.

I would assume the alignment is fine but who knows. Guess I would get with the area rep and send him some pics and see what he says.

The only issues I have seen with these tires is tread separation and yours look fine.

You could try to move a good looking tire to a bad looking location and see if it starts looking the same.

OneReallyOldGuy
07-12-2022, 12:41 PM
Shocks should still be fine but honestly they are the bottom of the barrel Monroes. If you ever want to put on their best RV shock the number is 555001.

I would assume the alignment is fine but who knows. Guess I would get with the area rep and send him some pics and see what he says.

The only issues I have seen with these tires is tread separation and yours look fine.

You could try to move a good looking tire to a bad looking location and see if it starts looking the same.

The shock number you listed is Monroe’s also?

I’ve never considered rotating them. I might try it. I’m not sure how much longer I should trust these 4 year old tires. We’re doing a lot of traveling this summer in Wyoming, Idaho and Utah. Hot and dry.

Thanks,
Phil

Cummins12V98
07-12-2022, 02:22 PM
The shock number you listed is Monroe’s also?

I’ve never considered rotating them. I might try it. I’m not sure how much longer I should trust these 4 year old tires. We’re doing a lot of traveling this summer in Wyoming, Idaho and Utah. Hot and dry.

Thanks,
Phil

YES Monroe. I bought mine on Carid

Personally 4 years is not an issue. They are guaranteed 5 I believe.

OneReallyOldGuy
07-12-2022, 02:46 PM
That gives me some piece of mind. Thanks Cummins and thank you Duane.

Cummins12V98
07-12-2022, 05:45 PM
Happy to help!!!

rclemons55
08-30-2022, 12:38 PM
17.5 toyos 5 years old doing well

Cummins12V98
09-03-2022, 12:48 PM
17.5 toyos 5 years old doing well

Curious are they Japan or China made?

rclemons55
09-03-2022, 05:48 PM
i was offered a choice between an american company made in china(hercules) or a japanese company with a plant in georgia (toyo) i chose the latter although they were actually built in japan. very happy so far,

Cummins12V98
09-04-2022, 08:54 AM
Should be good. They do make tires in China that would not be on my RV.