PDA

View Full Version : Trying to run refrigerator on the road

Notanlines
04-23-2018, 12:21 PM
We are getting ready to leave south Florida and head home to Tennessee. Of all the things we went over with the walk-thru tech we did not ask if it was possible to run the refrigerator while travelling down the highway without the generator running. This is our first RV with a residential fridge and I never gave it a thought on the walk-thru. I have my doubts, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

wingnut60
04-23-2018, 02:07 PM
It will run ok for about 4-6 hours, then the batt(s) will be getting low. The truck will help some, but it didn't keep up on ours. If you are going from FHU to FHU, the converter will recharge easily overnight. It will help to shut the fridge off while traveling, and not open it--everything will stay cold for several hours. If you aren't going to have power at the next stop, then the gen will be necessary. Also, probably need to shut the icemaker off if not hooked up to elec. Keep in mind, every time you discharge the batts, you are using up some life.
Do you have any solar?

Notanlines
04-23-2018, 02:48 PM
Joe, we do not have solar. We virtually never boondock so saw no need. How will I know if the fridge is running off the batteries (inverter) after we unhook and hit the road?

wingnut60
04-23-2018, 04:05 PM
The fridge control lights will remain on if you have it on the inverter. Should be automatic, you would not know the difference.
In our case, the fridge was the ONLY item in the trailer running off the inverter, and there should be a small monitor in the electrical operating area closet to turn the inverter on/off and check status. Ours was the small 1000watt Magnum inverter; some of the newer ones have a larger inverter/converter combined.

Notanlines
04-23-2018, 04:22 PM
Joe, now we are getting somewhere. I think I have a good handle on it now. And yes, we have the electrical closet controls. Thanks!

wingnut60
04-23-2018, 04:46 PM
You may have a manual buried somewhere in the lit package. The remote control is an MM-RC and the inverter is a Magnum Energy MMS1012, if it is like ours.
This may be changed/different in a '17 over a '15 model like ours.
Joe

Notanlines
04-23-2018, 06:03 PM
Nope, you're correct. It is a MMS1012 model. Our package had "disappeared" while sitting on the lot. Imagine that! but we have done an admirable job of running down and replacing most of the literature.

porkchop
04-23-2018, 06:12 PM
Mine is 100% factory stock everything. It always runs 8-12 hrs with no problem, just with the truck charging things. FHU most every night, but I would not hesitate to let it sit over night. Good luck

Bill

Dapperdan
04-23-2018, 06:40 PM
Jim, we have the same model Joe has, we never had a problem running our fridge while traveling. We now have solar on the roof but that was for another reason. Not sure why Joe had troubles with his inverter running the fridge for longer periods, maybe "abuse" to the batteries before he bought his trailer.

Just make sure you have your inverter controller set to the "on" position when you disconnect shore power and you should be ok. The "on" button is in the center and when in the "on" position there is a little light in the upper left that should be lit.

https://i.imgur.com/zwECGckl.jpg

Dan

Notanlines
04-23-2018, 07:39 PM
The help I've received today has put a smile on DW's face. Makes for a happier trip home....:p

Dapperdan
04-23-2018, 08:24 PM
Glad we could help Jim! :mrgreen:

Dan

Cummins12V98
04-24-2018, 10:22 AM
Towed from SoCal to DRW area without connecting to shore power once. We stopped for a couple 3 hour naps but left the truck running. Upon arrival the freezer was at 0 and the frig 38 just as they were when departing.

Truck should keep the frig running with no issues!

Notanlines
04-24-2018, 06:21 PM
We are probably leaving on Tuesday. I'll report back when arrive in Germantown.

clev
04-25-2018, 07:55 PM
FWIW, I have six 6-volt batteries for a total of 660 amp hours, the ME-RC remote, and the 2800 Magnum. We tried to run our Dometic (non residential) on the inverters while traveling, and the few times that we did that, we arrived with nearly dead batteries. That's not good when you're going into a dry camp rest area, or Walmart's.

wingnut60
04-25-2018, 08:17 PM
clev,
Are you talking about the new solar setup, or previous setup?
Joe

clev
04-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Hi wing. Previous set up. I think that I posted my complaints on the SOITC forum. I'm getting ready for my first run with the new setup this Friday. We left last Wednesday, but the carrier for our generators broke and we had to return home. Just bought a swivel wheel carrier, so we should be good to go. Looking forward to trying out the solar.

wingnut60
04-25-2018, 10:55 PM
Hope it works as designed. Be safe and have a good trip.

porthole
04-26-2018, 08:54 AM
Terry, did you look to see if the manual gives a breakdown of energy use between using the Dometic on line power versus 12 volt DC /propane?

Maybe Moore efficient to run on portholedc when traveling?

porthole
04-26-2018, 08:55 AM
Those of you with the Magnum 1012, don’t you also have a separate transfer switch that is in play?

clev
04-26-2018, 09:03 AM
No, Duane; although I have read the manual for basic operation and wiring, I haven't noticed anything about power management. I mentioned wiring because the fridge went out last year, and even though a tech repaired it, after he left the gas didn't work. Following wiring diagrams, I found that he had switched a couple of wires on the main panel in the rear.

Muddflap
04-30-2018, 11:07 PM
Those of you with the Magnum 1012, don’t you also have a separate transfer switch that is in play?

I have the Magnum CSW 1012 with CSW-TS 15 transfer switch.

Notanlines
05-01-2018, 05:33 AM
Many thanks to all who posted info. We left the RV site yesterday morning at 7:00 and arrived at our first stop at 4:30. Fridge was as cold as when we left. Easy peasy! Hooked up, ready to go. I simply turned the switch on the control (just as pictured earlier) to ON and away we went. Sure made travelling easier, and less worry.

porkchop
05-01-2018, 09:30 AM
The transfer switch does not come into play when just switching from shore power to invertor. The invertor takes care of everything on it's own.

Bill

Muddflap
05-01-2018, 10:09 AM
The transfer switch does not come into play when just switching from shore power to invertor. The invertor takes care of everything on it's own.

Bill

From the owners manual for my transfer switch:
“The CSW-TS15 is a 15-amp AC transfer switch that is designed to automatically switch the AC load connections between Utility power (or generator) and the AC output of Magnum’s CSW1012 inverter.”

Some inverters may have built in xfer switches or may be wired into the generator xfer switch. Otherwise, unless your inverter is a continuous dedicated power supply for the circuit that it’s connected to, it must have a transfer switch.

Dapperdan
05-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Many thanks to all who posted info. We left the RV site yesterday morning at 7:00 and arrived at our first stop at 4:30. Fridge was as cold as when we left. Easy peasy! Hooked up, ready to go. I simply turned the switch on the control (just as pictured earlier) to ON and away we went. Sure made travelling easier, and less worry.

You're the second guy I've come across that didn't know about the on/off inverter switch. When we were at MORryde getting the risers I talked to a fellow who was very frustrated because his fridge didn't work while traveling. I asked him if his inverter was "on" and his answer was "yes", he had checked it on the inverter itself in the basement. When I told him about the remote switch in the couch he was flabbergasted!! It's too bad some of the dealers don't go through EVERYTHING with their customers.

Dan

Notanlines
05-02-2018, 05:15 AM
I'm not going to say that the tech didn't go over that, but it may be that he thought that because of our experience with other 5v'ers we knew about such things. (There is just the slightest chance that I forgot about this part also:mrgreen:)
Last year our neighbor in Florida voiced a wish that his Montana 3850FL had a black tank flush like most other RV's. I casually mentioned that I would install it for the meager fee of $50. He asked if we could do it before he and DW left for the season and I said no problem. I walked him around to the street side, opened the service panel and pointed out the connection. As I held my hand out for the fifty he just belly-laughed and remarked that in four years he never new about the rinse. And no, he never parted with the $50.

Cummins12V98
05-03-2018, 09:22 AM
First trip out with our new 39TKSB3 we went to Eastern WA where it was in the 90's. We arrived and the frig was NOT cold like when we departed. I fired the gen and it kept tripping, reason was the frig was taking too many amps along with the AC. Later I read about the switch in cabinet next to door and now all is well!!!

Texas 250
05-27-2018, 12:16 AM
Where is the remote Inverter switch located in the coach, I cannot find. Thanks

Notanlines
05-27-2018, 06:08 AM
Texas, if you look back on page one of this thread, a fine guy named DapperDan posted a photo of the panel. When you look at the photo the switch is located on the black switch ABOVE the one with the L-2 lit up. It is the one with the little green light burning. The on/off switch is right in the middle. Three little buttons on the left, three little buttons on the right, and the on/off in the middle.
That should take care of you.

Texas 250
05-27-2018, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the information but panel inside the coach does not have them controls.

porkchop
05-27-2018, 08:07 AM
Mudflap said" Some inverters may have built in xfer switches or may be wired into the generator xfer switch. Otherwise, unless your inverter is a continuous dedicated power supply for the circuit that it’s connected to, it must have a transfer switch.

That's exactly what I said. The invertor handles it's self. No other transfer switch required.

Bill
__

Texas 250
05-27-2018, 11:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, I think mine will work like Muddflap describe in the previous post.