PDA

View Full Version : SRW or DRW?

Donnyb9
07-19-2017, 07:39 AM
I have done lots of research and am looking at getting a 40 foot 5er to live in and also drive around the country. I will also need a truck to pull it. I need suggestions on what to get for a truck. The 5er has the following weight specs:
Dry weight = 15,000 pounds
GVWR = 17,000 pounds
Hitch weight = 2880 pounds

I think I need a one ton truck, and would like to get a diesel. I would like a 4 door (crew cab) with a LWB.
Will I need SRW or DRW?
Any other suggestions?

Stripit
07-19-2017, 09:12 AM
A single rear wheel truck would more than likely be overloaded when your planning on moving with your trailer loaded for full time living. Use the gross vehicle weight of the trailer as what it will more than likely weigh once you move in and then use at least 20% of that gross weight as the pin weight, some could go up to 25% depending on the trailer.

Bikersarge
07-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Definitely need a 1 ton truck, the GVTW isn't much different but stability with the dual tires will make a big difference. GMC's come with factory Air bags and some of the other Manufacturers may offer also.

wingnut60
07-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Bikersarge,
You sure GMC have the air bag option? Thought only Rams had it...

rorr1821
07-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Get the DRW you will be much happier. Give the RAM and Cummins with the Aisin transmission a hard look. A great truck with power to spare. The RAM with the Aisin has the high output engine which gives you more power. Ram has factory air bag option and puck system for bed hitch. Had a 2016 and if I needed another truck for towing would buy another.

Stevencoles
07-26-2017, 09:25 AM
With a larger rig you will regret it if you don't go with a dually. We have been running a Ford F-350 6.7 liter deisel and it pulls our 38 footer like a dream.

Bikersarge
07-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Bikersarge,
You sure GMC have the air bag option? Thought only Rams had it...

Oh, my Now that I have said that, somebody told me they did but now that you mentioned RAM they might have been confused when they told me and I might have been spreading fake news unintentionally :smile:

But I will find out.

oldbird
07-30-2017, 03:08 PM
I used a SRW for a long time until I got blown by a side wind over a whole lane in WY on I80. Dually's are much more stable!