PDA

View Full Version : Cost to Tighten Wheel Lug Nuts

Jack Jerico
06-07-2017, 06:24 AM
DRV New owners are instructed to tighten 5th wheel lug nuts every 50 miles to specification the first 200 miles of use. Does anyone have experience as to how much this should cost if performed by a dealer while the unit is at the dealer for other repairs. Does $125 sound OK?

wingnut60
06-07-2017, 07:21 AM
Actually, no. Should take less than 5 min/wheel with a torque wrench. They are charging you a minimum 1 hour labor...
Go buy a torque wrench for about $50-60 and proper size socket and you will be able to do this yourself from then on.
You might consider a cordless impact wrench to help you on the road if you need to change a wheel/tire--I have had a Craftsman 19.2 volt cordless impact wrench for several years--it will torque to near specs and you finish off with the wrench.
Personally, after one re-torquing, I don't bother again unless I remove a wheel.
Joe

Stripit
06-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Joe is correct, having your own torque wrench is one of those tools you will own for a long time once you buy one. I spent about $60 at NAPA to get mine many years ago. Whenever a wheel was removed, they got re-torqued and then some miles later re-checked. In the course of owning your trailer having a tire or more than just one tire off is not uncommon. Even if your physically unable to do it yourself, having the wrench and asking a fellow camper to assist you will save you money in the long run. Plus you will get to meet someone new and not have to pay the dealer, that in itself is a big PLUS in my book!!

chevman
06-07-2017, 07:48 PM
I almost made other campers use my torque wrench and air compressor before leaving back to their homes each April. Air is usually needed more than the torque but peace of mind is awesome.
chevman

Jack Jerico
06-08-2017, 03:00 PM
I appreciate the insight.