PDA

View Full Version : electric brakes does not work

Shortline1
05-29-2017, 10:00 PM
is there a fuse on a mobile suites between the plug & the brakes? I just bought it & have not pulled it yet. I asked a friend to move it for me, he told me the brakes do not work. I have bought a old 1 ton dually to pull it with. I know my plug is good. The trailer is a 140 miles away. I don't want to have a brake problem as I have never pulled 15,000 pounds before with a pickup. thank you for any help.

porkchop
05-30-2017, 08:27 AM
Electric or hydraulic brakes? Could be tow vehicle incompatible with trailer. You mentioned purchasing an old dually. Make sure you have the correct settings to operate the brakes. You may need a CAM operator for the brakes.

Bill

Cummins12V98
05-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Dead batteries?

Stripit
05-30-2017, 04:55 PM
How long has it been sitting, not unheard of that mice eat wires and could have cut through the wires for the brakes? Is the main power switch (12 volt power) cut off in the control panel where the switches are for the front legs? Not sure if it kills the power to the brakes but maybe.

Shortline1
05-31-2017, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys I will check those suggestions out.

oldbird
06-01-2017, 09:29 AM
Check the fuse by the hydraulic brake fluid reservoir. If that fuse is blown the brakes will not work.

wingnut60
06-03-2017, 09:25 PM
What year is the trailer? Most problems are from bad grounds or bad connections with the plug on the trailer harness, or loose wire nuts in the junction box in the pin where the harness is connected. Not unheard of to have cut wires where they come out of the axle or thru the backing plates.

Shortline1
06-04-2017, 02:31 PM
I had a new brake controller installed before picking up the trailer. The brakes worked on the trailer, just not as good as i'am used to. I tried adjusting the brake controller. but did not help much. I finally went on to Texas & used the brake controller by hand when needed. I could stop the truck & trailer using the brake controller alone. I will check with the installer on Monday! Of course the trailer will still b in Denton, Tx.

ChrisCarl
06-23-2017, 03:24 AM
Dead batteries?

That's my thinking.