PDA

View Full Version : Newbie doing research

msquare
04-16-2017, 04:42 PM
I was wondering if someone could guide me towards more information on ideas / concerns that I need to consider when trying to find the right rig for us. I will be starting from scratch - i.e. new truck / trailer. We are wanting to down size and quit paying such high property taxes. I prefer a 5th wheel vs a "tiny home".
Lots of questions a few answers as of yet. It seems the more trailers I look at the more confused I get. So other than budget I am open to all info!

Stripit
04-16-2017, 05:05 PM
Home many people are planning on living in the new to you trailer? Why not investigate used? Many great well cared for used rigs are out there, combo units too, truck and trailer. One of the couple dies, gets sick or they are just too old to safely travel, or have to stop traveling the rig goes up for sale. For the most part, any bugs have been fixed, and you get to meet the owners and see if they took care of the unit like you would have. Just a suggestion as opposed to looking new.

wingnut60
04-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Most advice says to decide on fifth wheel first, then buy the truck to pull it--many have done it the other way, only to find themselves limited to towing less than they wanted.
Remember, if looking at NEW units, the 'dry weights'/'ship weights' are invariably very optimistically LIGHT. And if a salesman's lips are moving, he is probably embellishing the truth--would be rare to get a caring, knowledgeable sales person.
In looking at any fiver, take the gross weight rating (GVWR) and multiply it by .2--that will be very near the pin weight of the fiver when loaded for travel/living. Then, you have the estimate of the weight you will place on the rear axle of the tow vehicle.

Living in it? Can be very claustrophobic if used to a large home--the floorplan needs to be very livable for your wife--and you, of course. Washer/dryer? 2ACs--absolute necessity in TX, maybe 3 if you end up with one of the 43-45ft fivers.

Good online places to look at fivers: RVTrader.com ; pplmotorhomes.com ; rvt.com

start a good notebook when you find a unit you feel good about--its kind of like looking at houses--no notes/pics, things get blurry.

Have fun in the search...