PDA

View Full Version : Routes from AZ to SC ?

Scott N.
03-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Our first trip with our new 5th wheel is from Arizona to South Carolina.

It looks like I have 3 major routes. I-10, I-20 or I-40....

Does anyone have any suggestions on which would be the best for our first long trip? We are looking for the easiest stress free travel. I am concerned about steep climbs and descents. I can't find a good web site that shows elevation changes so I am reaching out for advice from experienced RVers.

wingnut60
03-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Don't know where in AZ you are starting out--if you travel north of Phoenix, there is 1 really tough, long pull going to Flag.
I-40 from Flag is not too bad as I remember, but there are also some long pulls, but not tough.
I have just recently traveled I-10 from Baton Rouge to Lafayette--very rough.
Also recently I-30 DFW to Shreveport, very nice.
Also recently I-40 Little Rock to Memphis--some very rough areas and also construction.
Not sure if this helps, but just about any where you mention but TX, the roads tend to be tough on RVs--not that there aren't some bad areas in TX, just not the norm.
I find myself traveling a lot in the passing lanes just to avoid the semi ruts and potholes, but try to move right when I note traffic gaining on me.
Takes a lot of attention to what is just ahead to keep from having a severe jolt...