PDA

View Full Version : 5th Wheel Storage

SanibelLovers2
06-10-2016, 09:22 PM
For the past two years, we have been storing our 5th wheel in a three-sided, roofed building that is open on the front. The shelter houses perhaps 10 large campers. The cost is significant ($1150/yr). The area is in the mountains of southwest VA, where there can be some heavy winter weather as well as some hot summer weather.

Because of the cost, we are considering buying a high-quality cover and storing it outside for less than half the annual cost. This is our first 5th wheel and we are now second-guessing ourselves as to whether this is really a wise move.

We would really appreciate some advice from those of you who have much more wisdom and experience than we do. Do covers really do the job or should we stay with the shelter? Thanks for your time and information.

Kenw50
07-13-2016, 09:47 AM
My Opinion only!
I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada so you may appreciate the large amounts of snow, cold weather that we get here. Most people park them in outside storage yards and not worry about them. Make sure your unit is winterized properly, batteries out and have external UV protection, waxed, polomar etc. Some place tires on wood, cover tires and good to go

SanibelLovers2
07-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Ken, thanks so much for your response. We have decided to stay with the covered storage as we are 72 years old and will not be buying another one. On that basis, we decided we'd better take the best possible care of this one. We invested too much in it, not to take good care of it at this point. Thanks for your input.

wingnut60
07-13-2016, 10:56 PM
Might not be pertinent to your situation--but if you have the room/space to build a canopy, you should be able to pay for a permanent cover with about 3 years of lot rentals, maybe 4. I am 73, and hope to get another 10 years with the Suites.
A simple peaked metal canopy 16x40 shouldn't cost more than $4500, if you don't put in a concrete slab.
But, then again, less than $100/month ain't bad for covered storage.
Joe

Kenw50
07-14-2016, 09:45 AM
I understand your situation as presented and wish you the best of luck.