PDA

View Full Version : New member trying to get educated

pmwoodward
10-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Hello,

My current setup is a tent and a screen house. I actually also own a tent trailer which has not been used in years as I currently have no proper tow vehicle for it. My purpose in joining is to become educated in 5th wheels. My mortgage is ending in a couple of years and finances will soon make owning a 5th wheel possible soon. I am also getting somewhat close to retirement. My plan is to buy a 5th when possible and keep it on a seasonal RV park until I retire at which time I will buy a TV and snowbird to see if this is what my wife and I want to do full time. If so, we will sell our home and hit the highway. I have read quite a bit so far and have much more to learn.

Cheers,
Paul

wingnut60
10-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Paul,
Welcome to the 5thwheelforums.
Very good to plan ahead and sounds reasonable as you state it. I would work on getting something out of the tent trailer, as it isn't being utilized, before it becomes unsellable
Hope it works out for you. Keep us in the loop as the plan progresses.
Whereabouts is home?
Joe

pmwoodward
10-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the welcome. I live outside of Boston. Most of the 5th's I seem interested in are about 10K lbs empty and around 14K lbs GVWR. I am thinking an F350 diesel dully would be the best choice, perhaps gas. The gas version tops out somewhere just above my needs, but it is close. One concern seems to be the overall poor quality inherent in all RV's in general. Paying more does not seem to improve things, or so I have read.

Cheers!
Paul

Stevencoles
10-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Diesel is the way to go and it really does seem that you get what you pay for, yes all have problems but if you go too cheap you can't full time and you will be frustrated living in the unit.