PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Minnesota

SlowNnice
05-23-2015, 02:55 PM
We purchased a 2014 and took delivery 12/2013. We are full timers and I am a manager for large Heavy Industrial construction. My wife and I sold three (3) homes and moved into this to reduce the constant moving of our stuff. We just sold it all.

We love the DRV 43 foot Cincinnati and still have a lot to learn about the unite. My latest search has been centered around hooking up two Honda EU3000is generators. I have purchased a parallel kit and the combined unit is 48 Amps but comes with a plug that does not match my RV hook up plugs (30Amp or 50 Amp)

I am trying to figure out how to hook it up to my DRV "Gen Prep" that I paid for with the RV (We had it built for us)

Hopefully I will find some answers on here. This looks like a good site.:)

Tim Griffin

wingnut60
05-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Well, that is a huge trailer, and would guess you have 3 ACs?
Have not heard of anyone here or on the SOITC putting together what you have--did not know that the 3000s could be paralleled. Guess you have a good reason for not having the 6500 Onan in the gen bay?
Remember, that a 50amp RV service is 120volts on each leg, not 240volts. I don't think you can feed the 240volt output from the gens into the 50amp plug, but I am not an electrician. There are adapter plugs for the 30amp output to a standard extension cord, but that isn't what you are needing.
Welcome to the forum, and let everyone know what you find out to do to get it working.
Joe

hitchup
05-23-2015, 05:15 PM
We had a Gen Prep for our 2006 Elite. It would have needed additional dealer prep installation to work with an onboard generator. So to simplify, DH built a pull-out shelf and we lifted up a Yamaha 6600 generator.

To use, he pulled out the shelf and unplugged power cord from CG pedestal and ran it to the generator. He had to get a small adapter plug that converted the 50amp plug to fit the 30amp on the generator. We still carry the plug around, but don't need to use it as we have a factory installed 6500kw Onan in our 2014 MS Estates.

SlowNnice
05-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Thanks Wingnut. Yup, two (2) HVAC 15,000 BTu Heat Pumps and one (1) HVAC 15,000 BTu AC Only. I got two Honda EU3000is units to save on gas and enjoy the quiet running of the Honda. When we run just one generator, it is extremely efficient. Yes, I simply use a 30 Amp twist on plug for that application, Most of the time while in the upper Midwest we do not need to run the AC except during the hottest part of the day. and a 3 kw does fine.

The Reliance HPK3001 Parallel Generator Kit creates the ability to use the two EU300is Generators to output to a single source 6KW @ 120 volts for a total of 48 Amps. Thankfully they do not produce 240 Volt. The oddball plug on the kit is a CS6370-style receptacle. I think I may need to purchase a matching receptacle at my Gen Prep junction box then plug in with a matching extension cord (CS6370-style)

wingnut60
05-23-2015, 08:04 PM
SlowNnice,
Very good info on the gens--will certainly come in handy some day. What are you towing with?

SlowNnice
05-24-2015, 10:26 AM
Wingnut. I have an F-350 Dually King Ranch with an 8 Ft bed. It appears to handle the weight with little effort and drives comfortably. I probably should have put the Gen info on the appropriate forum heading for Generators. But thanks.