PDA

View Full Version : Waste dumping problems

Lbryant
05-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Hello,
I have a 1997 Damon Esaper with an enclosed underbelly. We are new to camping, so bear with me! We have one outlet that drains the black and grey water. When I go to empty the tanks, there must be a leaky valve farther up under the underbelly because even though both tank valves are closed, when I take off the cap I get a bath, you can imgaine my frustration and embarassment at this! Will we have to cut a hole in the underbelly to put a new valve in? Looking for any suggestions for fixing this yucky problem. The only part that is visible is about 8-10 inches of the main line. If I need to post a pic I can..

Thanks a million!

Lana

netjam
05-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Not an uncommon problem. The easiest fix to go to an RV parts store and buy a valve that fits on the end of your dump outlet. It won't fix your leak but it will keep you dry. They run $25-35 and work well. I used one for a year before getting the dump valves replaced.

wingnut60
05-09-2014, 09:01 PM
As netjam said--there are several valves available that will attach to the drain line just like the hose, and you can use that to stop the 'baths' you get until the upstream valve can be replaced. I have one on my Suites permanently--cut into the 4' line, glued a valve in, and now have a failsafe closer in case the others fail.
Having a problem such as yours can sure take the fun out of RVing...
Joe

billr
05-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Add the extra valve like both here said for sure. Every unit I have has one. To replace the bad Black valve, like you said open up the belly and after a good flush out and dry out....cut off you should be able to bolt in a new one.

Check the cables and replace if stiff while you are in there.

Good luck!

hitchup
05-10-2014, 10:06 AM
DH has added a Flush King valve to every 5er we've owned on the exterior sewer connections.

Since it has a clear section, he can also check what's coming out as he drains. Then he adds a PVC extension that makes it easier to pull the clean-out when the slides are out.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/flush-king/20522