PDA

View Full Version : DRV Furniture Replacement

BHB
01-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Have you replaced your couch or your recliners with something else.
I would like to replace my couch and my 2 recliners with a love seat or some type of wall huger tv seating recliners.
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3 #4001

netjam
01-23-2014, 07:18 PM
In my 07 Elite Suite I put in 2 Lazyboy loveseats. Easy swap.

Slow Six
01-23-2014, 08:11 PM
We replaced the INFERIOR DRV furniture with four Lazy Boy wall away recliners. So far we are pleased with the change.

Gemstone
01-24-2014, 07:41 AM
I took the queen size hide-a-bed couch out in pieces...just too bulky to handle alone. Only one recliner was purchased when the rig was new, but it was just replaced....an Amish rocker and antique recliners now fill the space.

Regards
Gemstone

Cummins12V98
01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
When we traded our Avion Platinum for our current DRV the deal included swapping the couch and two chairs.

The Avion's furniture was far superior to the DRV's. It is FlexSteel top quality cream colored leather. Looks so much better than the cheap recliners and gaudy couch that came in the DRV.

Only negative is before we pull in the slides I need to flip the couch on it's back.

We most likely will be ordering a 15 this year but we will really look over what DRV offers.

Gemstone
01-24-2014, 06:46 PM
"We most likely will be ordering a 15 this year but we will really look over what DRV offers".....

So make your best offer, then look at the your cost for the DRV furniture, add 30% or more for the mark up, then do a delete from the order, and provide your own better quality furniture.

We did that with the flimsy mattress and 1 recliner, wish I would have deleted more DRV provided junk....if there is ever a next time.....

Regards
Gemstone

Cummins12V98
01-24-2014, 07:37 PM
"We most likely will be ordering a 15 this year but we will really look over what DRV offers".....

So make your best offer, then look at the your cost for the DRV furniture, add 30% or more for the mark up, then do a delete from the order, and provide your own better quality furniture.

We did that with the flimsy mattress and 1 recliner, wish I would have deleted more DRV provided junk....if there is ever a next time.....

Regards
Gemstone

Good ideas thanks!

ponch
01-26-2014, 06:20 AM
gemstone what mattress did you go with?

Gemstone
01-26-2014, 01:06 PM
We've gone thru 2 mattresses since '06. Originally took the queen out of the house, then went to another queen, and just recently, a 125 lb, 14" gel-foam queen (made in USA) we bought thru Costco. UPS delivered it, I dragged it in, and cut the wrapping, it unfolded in minutes......Best sleep we've both had in years. If you are interested in gel-foam, go to sleeplikethedead.com for reviews. We went thru Costco specifically for their return policy. Lots of foam mattress suppliers, want any returns either unopened or re-packaged in the original packaging...something I believe would be impossible given the compressed condition of the mattress upon arrival.

Regards
Gemstone

Cummins12V98
01-27-2014, 07:31 PM
When we went full time we took the King sleep number from our house. I installed the pump below the bed and drilled two holes for the tubing and installed plastic grommets in the holes. Works great.

Be sure to drop pressure if you travel to higher elevations before you head out.

Gemstone
01-28-2014, 04:15 PM
"Works great"....until the pump fails...then hold on to your wallet.

Regards
Gemstone

Cummins12V98
01-29-2014, 11:02 AM
"Works great"....until the pump fails...then hold on to your wallet.

Regards
Gemstone

Have owned the bed for around 10 years. Pump has been no problem. It's been bouncing down the road now for over 2 years.

If the pump goes bad the wallet will not have a problem buying a new one since it is the best bed we have ever had and won't be without one.

terry and jo
01-29-2014, 06:32 PM
I have to agree with Cummins on this one. While our experience with Select Comfort beds have been about 10 years but not traveling, we've never had as good a bed before. Jo and I both need different settings and even the temperpedic mattresses don't work for both of us.

With the Select Comfort, Jo sets hers at about 45 to 55 and mine is almost always on 100. Not many beds can have such raving reviews as the Select Comfort mattresses. In fact, Jo even likes the RV style Select Comfort better than the home model we had.

Also, the cost of new pumps and remotes seems to be very minor compared to the costs of other "systems" associated with RV's.

Terry

Gemstone
01-30-2014, 09:38 AM
"the cost of new pumps and remotes seems to be very minor compared to the costs of other "systems" associated with RV's".....

Agreed, but the conversation is about beds/mattresses, not other systems.

Unless prices have come down (because of possible off-shoring the manufacturing of the pump), for the cost of replacing the pro-rated pump alone, a new mattress of equal quality could be had. I did enjoy the bed, while it worked...

Check out the reviews: Select Comfort review (http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/review-sleep-number.html)
Note the warranty rating. If the bed is so good, why is the warranty rating on such a fine product so bad ?

Regards
Gemstone

Cummins12V98
01-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Gemstone

The title is DRV furniture replacement and the op asked about replacement furniture.

You said "Agreed, but the conversation is about beds/mattresses, not other systems"

One a side note our mattress is a Sleep Number NOT Select Comfort. I believe ours is made in Utah.

Carry on!

terry and jo
01-30-2014, 06:38 PM
While my comment is based on personal knowledge from other Select Comfort owners that is pretty limited (no where 1600+ participants), the research done by Sleep Like the Dead was taken from comments on various online sources such as forums, many of which were forums not even close to being related to beds and mattresses. (That from some of their own reporting.)

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-methodology.html

I can honestly say that almost all the owners that I have either met personally or conversed with online have good things to say about their beds. Regardless of the product, there will always be detractors of that product. Note the differences between SOITC and 5th Wheel Forums.

What I can say is that Jo needs a soft bed because of her back and I prefer a firm bed because I will get a major backache on a soft one. Like I mentioned before, this is a case where people with two different preferences can BOTH rave about their bed.

As for warranties on the beds and the pump system, how many of the "bad reviews" come from folks who weren't happy with their bed to begin with?

Terry

Gemstone
01-30-2014, 08:21 PM
"As for warranties on the beds and the pump system, how many of the "bad reviews" come from folks who weren't happy with their bed to begin with?"

I can only comment on my own situation...when I was quoted a $500 pro-rated cost for a pump, I retired the bed to my daughters guest bedroom, and an air compressor is used to top it off when needed.

Regards
Gemstone

missourijan
02-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Look at the thread just above yours for the 2011 REPS3 for sale. They replaced their couch with the leather theatre seating. They bought it through Drv but I'm sure you could find it elsewhere to fit in that space. Theirs is a 38'.