PDA

View Full Version : Mor/Ryde IS Suspension System?

golf_bears
04-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm thinking of having the Mor/Ryde Independent Suspension System installed on my 5th wheel. Looking for input, good, bad, ugly, from users with actual experience. If you have the system or your rig please share your actual experiences, comfort ride, problems, ease of maintenance, etc.

If you would like to share what the cost to install was, I'd appreciate that info also.

Thanks for your input.

USA in a Chevrolet
04-21-2012, 12:05 PM
I believe in the MorRyde IS suspension so much I have installed it on 2 different fifth wheels. The first was on my Jayco Designer. I had about 30,000 miles on it before I went to MorRyde & put 20,000 miles on it after the install. The difference is amazing. Specifically, for DRV my experience is this. I bought a 2010 Select Suites 36RESB with the standard factory suspension (Trailair Equaflex). I immediately made an appointment with MorRyde & before I had the unit 2 weeks, I went to their facility in Elkhart & had the IS suspension installed. The ride is very nice since each wheel is independently suspended & each whell can travel in a range of 6" up & down. We were at the factory for a couple of days. You can stay inside your fiver overnight inside the factory. They treat you to breakfast & lunch each day. If you are not satisfied with the ride after installation, they will adjust the suspension until you are happy. Call them & ask for Ben Wiggington, the Service Manager. Tell them you were referred by Ray Williams. If you have any ohter questions, pm me & I will give you my phone number.

netjam
04-21-2012, 04:00 PM
When I ordered my 07 Elite DRV installed the Mor ryde IS. Had a lot of bounce (tipped over chairs, emptied cupboards etc) so took it to Mor Ryde after a year. They said DRV did a perfect job on the instal and the problem was that the rubber in their system needed to be solid enough to support 20,000# so the ride was rougher than a 15,000# trailer. Compared to the axel and spring system I have now. I'd say its no different except the IS stayed in perfect alignment for 4 years. I know most swear by the IS so perhaps my experience was unusual.

RickandJanice
04-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Just had MorRyde I.S. installed 5 weeks ago. Cannot believe the difference in the way our unit tows. Much smoother and less rocking on uneven surfaces. Can barely feel speed bumps or railroad tracks when crossing them. Also like the extra frame cross bracing the system adds. Have not had to grease it yet, but one grease point on each wheel set does it all. We replaced our 8000 lb axles with the 8000 lb I.S. and using existing brakes and wheels, cost was $2800 total and took 2 full days. Price can vary by $150 depending on additional tubing to assure rig is level with your truck and we did get a special winter discount of 10% that is offered between January through March.

Great experience at MorRyde Service center and great people to work with. Sergio was our technician and was very particular and knowledgeable about the installation. Ben and Andrew were both very nice to work with also. You will not find better customer service anywhere. Feel free to use our name as reference also, last name is Binns.

Carny Bill
04-21-2012, 11:10 PM
I have had an 2004 36ck3 and a 2006 Elite and a 2009 Elite with MorRyde from the factory. I have on order a 2012 38 foot Elite that I also ordered with MorRyde.
I am sold on their suspenion. Combined with a Trailer Saver air hitch the trailer floats down the road. Hardly ever anything out of place. Hardly any maintenance, just grease 4 points annually.
You won't be sorry........

Bill

golf_bears
04-24-2012, 07:46 AM
I'd like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions. I have a scheduled date in early June to have the system installed. Looking forward to testing the results.

Carny Bill
04-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Please let us know what you think of it............

golf_bears
04-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Will do, as soon as I get some mileage on it.

RGordon
04-24-2012, 12:44 PM
I personally have never been a big fan of MorRyde products, one mistake was their pinbox. I am a big fan of Trailair products, such as the Tri-Glide pinbox, along with the Trailair Centerpoint Air suspension. All you do is adjust the air pressure in the airbags for whatever ride you wish. Sorry that I was not able to through my full support like others have stated. This is just my personal opinion!

golf_bears
04-24-2012, 02:38 PM
The problem with the TrailAir Center Point Suspension is you cannot do any alignment to it if you have any unusual wear on the tires. I currently have the Center Point system and unusual wear on the tires. Only solution is to install the MorRydw IS System which has the ability to align each wheel independently and properly.

If you had gone through three axle replacements, four disc rotors, two calipers and one new wheel rim as I have over the past four years, you may want to consider the IS system.

RGordon
04-24-2012, 07:04 PM
I understand where you are coming from. I would have had some of the same issues with the Kodiak disc brake rotors if I had not drilled out the rubber grommets that the pads slide on. They have always been in a bind and would not release the brakes properly causing heat issues. No problems since and have never had any alignment issues or tire issues. Don't blame you for looking at something else!

anijet
08-30-2016, 12:06 PM
Will do, as soon as I get some mileage on it.

I know this is an old thread but I would like to know the outcome and your current thoughts on the MorRyde IS system.

I'm scheduled for the install but for the price I'm not sure it is the right thing to do. I'm OK with the current ride but the suspension, spring hangers and shackle bushings, are worn out. Also, I would like to get rid of the Nev R Lube bearings and go [back] to the old standard repack bearings which would require a spindle change.

I had to change an axle on the road due to a Nev R Lube bearing failure. Would rather not experience that again.

Cummins12V98
08-31-2016, 08:48 AM
Get it done you will not regret it one bit!!!

golf_bears
08-31-2016, 09:11 AM
Anijet,
Here’s an update on my change over to the MorRyde IS system from the 8000# axles with Nev R Lube bearings.
I had the MorRyde IS system installed on June 4, 2012 at the MorRyde facility. I did not change out the Nev R Lube bearings because they were newly installed, all four, in 2011 when I had one bearing burn out in Las Vegas.
Since then I have put over 25,000 miles or the RV. I lube the torsion tube twice per year. I have not had any issues since then, “knock on wood”. The ride, when pulling the RV, has also improved. I don’t think you’ll regret having the install done.
Can’t advise you on the Nev R Lube bearings though, your call on that. I assume you still have your 2007 MS and are doing the change out on it? The question for me would be “how many pulling miles on those original bearings”?
If you want to chat about it further, send me a PM and I will give you my phone number to call me at your convenience.

anijet
08-31-2016, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Golf. I changed all the bearings in 2010 when I lost the bearing/axle. They had probably 30,000 on them and I've probably put another 35K on the replacements. The originals always leaked a small amount of grease that would show on the outside of the wheels. It bothered me but I sent pictures to Kodiak and they thought it wasn't a problem. This set doesn't leak at all. I thought the no maintenance Nev R Lube were a good idea when we ordered the MS but after the problem I'm not sure. -- Still considering the change over, it's an additional $1500.

Cummins12V98
09-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the reply Golf. I changed all the bearings in 2010 when I lost the bearing/axle. They had probably 30,000 on them and I've probably put another 35K on the replacements. The originals always leaked a small amount of grease that would show on the outside of the wheels. It bothered me but I sent pictures to Kodiak and they thought it wasn't a problem. This set doesn't leak at all. I thought the no maintenance Nev R Lube were a good idea when we ordered the MS but after the problem I'm not sure. -- Still considering the change over, it's an additional $1500.

If you look at the back side of the rotor the NeverLube bearings will show when they are starting to fail by excessive grease coming out. So look to see what is normal then keep an eye from there.

anijet
09-01-2016, 03:11 PM
If you look at the back side of the rotor the NeverLube bearings will show when they are starting to fail by excessive grease coming out. So look to see what is normal then keep an eye from there.

Depends on which seal is leaking, the inboard our outboard. Inboards were dry each time I took the wheels off. I do a brake check fairly often -- and to make sure the linings were not getting greased.

Cummins12V98
09-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Depends on which seal is leaking, the inboard our outboard. Inboards were dry each time I took the wheels off. I do a brake check fairly often -- and to make sure the linings were not getting greased.

I am talking about the single sealed bearing. There is only one per wheel.

anijet
09-02-2016, 05:54 PM
I am talking about the single sealed bearing. There is only one per wheel.

Yep, it's called a cartridge bearing. It is one sealed unit that contains two tapered roller bearings and a seal on each side. One cartridge per hub. It can leak grease out either seal (inboard or outboard).

Cummins12V98
09-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Yep, it's called a cartridge bearing. It is one sealed unit that contains two tapered roller bearings and a seal on each side. One cartridge per hub. It can leak grease out either seal (inboard or outboard).

True, I thought you were talking about a different system.

Kevin at Kodiak told me that tip.

If your grease cap is on you really would not notice the grease starting to form like you would on the back side.

bigbird272
03-03-2021, 04:39 PM
Just had MorRyde I.S. installed 5 weeks ago. Cannot believe the difference in the way our unit tows. Much smoother and less rocking on uneven surfaces. Can barely feel speed bumps or railroad tracks when crossing them. Also like the extra frame cross bracing the system adds. Have not had to grease it yet, but one grease point on each wheel set does it all. We replaced our 8000 lb axles with the 8000 lb I.S. and using existing brakes and wheels, cost was $2800 total and took 2 full days. Price can vary by $150 depending on additional tubing to assure rig is level with your truck and we did get a special winter discount of 10% that is offered between January through March.

Great experience at MorRyde Service center and great people to work with. Sergio was our technician and was very particular and knowledgeable about the installation. Ben and Andrew were both very nice to work with also. You will not find better customer service anywhere. Feel free to use our name as reference also, last name is Binns.
How much grease and how often to grease . I know there is a zerc. Is it easy to see? I’ll be greasing mine this year.

wingnut60
03-09-2021, 08:17 PM
bigbird,
Last post was in '16, so may not get an answer soon. Not hard to grease, but had mine done at Morryde.

porthole
03-10-2021, 10:09 AM
How much grease and how often to grease . I know there is a zerc. Is it easy to see? I’ll be greasing mine this year.

MOR/ryde spec is yearly or every 6,000 miles.

My procedure

Cardboard under the the IS, roll of paper towels.
Pump grease until I see clean grease come out the ends.

Raise trailer off the ground.
Pump more grease until I see clean grease come out the ends.

Set trialer back on the ground.
Pump more grease until I see clean grease come out the ends.

Really doesn't take a lot of grease. I use a Milwaukee 12 volt grease gun, works great for this.

I use Red Line HP grease.

The torque tube assembly is 3 parts. The beam with the torque pin and spindle, the tube bolted to the frame and a fiberglass tube bushing/bearing. The fiberglass bearing is replaceable.