PDA

View Full Version : Slide Problem.

Dick D
11-30-2010, 04:46 PM
On my 05 33RS3 my door side slide is not working correctly. When I try to bring it it, the back end works fine, but the front part of the slide doesn't move.
It's too late to call the Factory, so does anyone have any idea's as to how to get the slide in, or how to make repairs?

billr
11-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Sounds like a sheared pin on the rack gear at the forward end. Had the same issue on ours.

You have to drop down the underside covering (just enough to access the mechanism) On ours the area was just in line and aft of the steps by the frame.

Once you can see it look for the gear that matches up with the rack. Its on the long cross shaft. The shear pin is in the gear and keeps it locked on the shaft. When you look at it, you can have someone bump the switch and see whats going on to confirm.

Just manually move the slide with some help and get it even front and back. Then rotate the shaft manually a bit and get the old broken pin out it its still even in there. Replace with a stainless steel bolt of same diam. You are good to go!

Bill

Dick D
11-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Billr

Thanks for the quick response. I will take a look at it in the morning, now that I know where to look.

Again, Thanks

terry and jo
11-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Just a thought, but a few years ago, I had problems with a shear bolt on a 26-foot SOB that we had. With it, I was told to replace the original bolt with a Grade 8 bolt instead of a Grade 5. Nothing was mentioned about stainless steel.

To begin with, I was concerned with using that hard of a bolt. (After all, I have an agricultural background with shear pins on balers and combines.) However, in spite of a concern that the hard bolt would just aggravate a more serious problem with some of the other mechanisms, we never experienced any.

If it is a sheared bolt, replace it and then check with DRV to see if there is a specific requirement on bolt types or grades. If you go that way, how about posting back as to what DRV tells you. I may want to have a few in my toolbox then.

Terry

Dick D
11-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi Terry,

We met at the Ralley at Carthage. We sat beside you at the Weenie Roast.

Thanks for the Advise. I thought that a Pin was going to be the problem, but had no idea where to look for it and I didn't want to cut the whole bottom off the underside looking for it.

Billr gave me a place to start looking for it.

billr
11-30-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm sure they do have a spec for the bolt in the engineering of the mech. I just used what I had with me at the time to get rolling. I used an aircraft SS 1/4" bolt.

Worth a call, but anything should get you going for now.

Bill

Motor31
12-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Keep in mind that you do not want to put in a real hard bolt in that spot. If there should be a problem moving the slide you want to have the shear pin or bolt break, not the rest of the slide mechanism. In addition to that a hard bolt will also tend to wallow out the holes it is mounted through making it sloppier and a looser drive mechanism. Better to sacrifice a cheap pin or bolt than the mechanism.

Dick D
12-02-2010, 07:51 PM
I want to thank all of you that responded.

With your help and advise I was able to drop a small portion of the belly cover and replace the shear pin. It was pretty simple and straightforward to do.

Of course, I started with the front (since that was the end that wasn't working only to find that the shear pin was fine, but I did learn that the cross shaft was not turning. So then dropped a small area at the rear and located and found the shear pin easily after moving some of the insulation. I found that the gear system is pretty robust and looks solid, so simply replaced the 1/4 X 2 1/2" bolt with a grade 5 that I happened to have in the tool box ( not even a special trip to town to get parts).

The entire only took about an hour so was able to leave Southwest MO for the Piney Woods of East Texas by 10:30 AM and as I write this I sit in the Piney Woods at Lake Toledo Bend.

Again thanks for all the Help

billr
12-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Great job Dick! Glad it worked out well for ya! Enjoy your trip.

Bill

sr
12-04-2010, 08:06 AM
I beleive, but not sure, the 05's had electric slides??? If so are there shearpins on the hydraulic slide??

wingnut60
12-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Think they started the hydraulic slide with the '05 models--that is what mine has.
Joe

Motor31
12-04-2010, 09:36 AM
The 05's have hydraulic rams for slide movement. The ram is only on one side though. That means it needs to have a "drive" to push out both sides at the same rate and time. To do that they use a "slave" drive. The gear mechanism on the ram side is connected by a rod that drives the gear mechanism on the non ram side to keep the slide from twisting. If the shear pin goes the slide will get crooked and bind going both directions so yup you do have a necessary shear pin in the hydraulic slides.

sr
12-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks, I'll have to get a couple of pins JIC!!!