PDA

View Full Version : About to place order

Mike2338
11-27-2010, 10:05 AM
We will be ordering next week and have decided to delete the couch and recliners.

On the 2011's with the dining 'hutch', what is the dimension for the side wall on the slide to the dining chair? Leaving enough room to use the dining chair comfortably.

Also, how many dining room chairs come with the unit?

Thanks!

Mike

hitchup
11-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Mike the wall dimensions depend on if you're looking at a 38' or 36' unit. Our 38' has just slightly over 7' of open wall space for couch/loveseat.

We have a LZB loveseat with a small Amish made table on my side and larger side table on DH's side. Still have plenty of room for the dinette chairs. The buffett & table unit is about 73" wide. Table is centered and is 29" wide.

Mike2338
11-27-2010, 10:20 AM
you are right I forgot to mention it is a 38 footer.

So 7 feet from the back of the dining chair and the side wall?

Thanks

m

terry and jo
11-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Mike,

I concur with Vickie and David. Our 2010 38TKSB3 leaves 7 feet with a dining chair pulled out where "I" can comfortably sit at the table. And "I" have a fairly sizeable girth weighing in at 218 lbs, give or take a few lbs.

The dinette comes with 4 chairs.

I don't know if you looked at the pictures that I put out on Photobucket of our new furniture or not, but I'll provide a link to that again here. Our La-Z-Boy Reclina-Way love seat is called the Maverick model and at the widest part of the arms it is 63 inches wide. If I remember right, the Pinnacle model of La-Z-Boy love seat is 56 inches wide.

http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z458/TerryandJo/Our%20New%20Home/

Ir you look at what I think is picture number 3 of 74 in my pictures, it has Jo and our dog, TJ, on the couch with an end table and speaker at the end closest to the dinette. That one will give a little perspective of how much room is left for the dinette chair.

I think you are wise to delete the couch and chairs. We didn't elect to get the leather recliners and the ones we got weren't really comfortable at all.

Good luck with your new coach (when you get it).

Terry

hitchup
11-27-2010, 12:36 PM
It's alway good to measure. We've been through many different furniture configurations over the last 6 years. Finally settled on current one over the summer.

john
11-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Mike,
Purchased our unit with 2 regular chairs and 2 folding chairs. With only 2 of us most of the time it works great and gives us a lot more room. Folding chairs look like regular chairs when open.
Also got the 4 step instead of the 3......

Gemstone
11-27-2010, 04:10 PM
You might also consider deleting the coffee maker, the entertainment system, the cheap bedding, and if they are still using cheap faucets, have those deleted too...you can provide better quality and at a better price.

Regards
Gemstone

Mike2338
11-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Well, spent afternoon at a couple of furinture stores.
First preference was a loveseat recliner with a matching couch but the mechanism was just a little too clunky for our preferences.

Ended up with a pair of recliners that are a little wider than I wanted to go with at 39" wide. Our first choice of sofa I thought maybe a little too deep. it is 44" in total depth.

What is the available space for the couch?

End results is we have picked fabric for the valance and another for the dining chairs. Then selected the fabrics for the recliners and sofa.

Our final selection is for a mattress. I am assuming the king size in the MS is the same as a residential at 76x80. True? Also, do we use a box spring for the mattress?

Thanks for all the help with measurements. We are not close to a dealer so it is difficult knowing what will work.

m

wannabe
11-27-2010, 07:09 PM
The 2011 Mobile and Elite Suites come standard with the new dinette table/hutch and 2 dining chairs. You may still order the 2010 dinette table and 4 chairs for a small charge.
Good luck!

Stripit
11-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Our final selection is for a mattress. I am assuming the king size in the MS is the same as a residential at 76x80. True? Also, do we use a box spring for the mattress?

m

Better double check w/factory re: mattress size. Most RV Kings are 72 x 80 ("East Coast King"), or 72 x 84. When we ordered our mattress from bedinabox.com, we bought a Cal King & had it trimmed down to our 72 x 80 size. You do not have room for a box spring.....most of the RV beds slide under the counter. You'll be lucky to have 9-10" thick mattress. Might want to go inspect a unit before you make your decision.

terry and jo
11-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Ended up with a pair of recliners that are a little wider than I wanted to go with at 39" wide. Our first choice of sofa I thought maybe a little too deep. it is 44" in total depth.

What is the available space for the couch?

m

Mike,

It would be a good thing to wait on the replacement furniture until you can measure both the area in the slide and the back area for the couch, providing you are ordering something with a rear living area. Our 38TKSB3 is fine with either two recliners in the slide or the couch in the slide. However, we have less than 36 inches between the back edge of our slides and the rear of the coach. Your 44 inch deep couch (presuming that you mean for "deep" to be from front of couch to back of couch) would not allow the slides to even be retracted into the coach, if the couch was placed in the rear.

That is why our La-Z-Boy loveseat is located in the door side slide. We have the option of moving our Lane euro-chair around to allow for the 36 inch rear clearance that we have.

As for the bed, I have just a FYI for you. With the king size bed, you will only have one side table by the bed. If you go with a queen sized bed, DRV will put in two side tables (actually not tables but small cabinets with storage underneath), making it also a little easier for making the bed. In our case, we went with a queen-sized Select Comfort (sleep number) bed. We have a select comfort in our home and wouldn't be without one. Jo even thinks the RV Select Comfort is better than our home one.

Terry

hitchup
11-28-2010, 09:03 AM
RV King in Suites are 72X80. Not a problem with sheets, but not many options for replacement mattresses. So we ordered our MS with a Qn. We like having night stands on both sides.

We found a Denver Mattress as a replacement. They have foam or standard mattresses with coils built into top mattress. We didn't quite measure the height correctly, but found that the mattress slides under the dresser okay.

If you're getting the 4th slide in the bedroom, this is a non-issue. Wish they had that option when we ordered ours in 2008.

The couch in the rear needs to be no deeper than 36" because the slides won't be able to clear it. We had a LZB Loveseat sleeper and had to switch from rear of coach to the dinette slideout each time we moved the MS. Not Fun, even with sliders under the corners.....

Motor31
11-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Way back in 05, we ordered 2 folding chairs and 2 regular dining chairs. Would do so again today. It saves a TON of floor space as well as providing storage space when hitting the road.

In regards to the mattress. The best option is to go to a regular big mattress store. Those places that specialize in beds and mattresses. We found that was the best option to get a king size (72x80) that was only 8" or 9" tall so it would go under the dresser drawers on the door side. It took only a little bit of looking and we got a really nice pillow top inner spring mattress for a great price. It's been over 5 years now and it's still like new.

The OEM mattress that came with the RV felt nice the first night but started to really give me back problems in very short order. We bought fitted sheets from wallyworld too.

rdunk
11-28-2010, 04:08 PM
When we bought in 2005, we did delete the two recliners also. A that time, the factory recliners were over-stuffed, had shorter than desired backs, and had somewhat narrow width seats. After some looking, we found La-Z-Boy recliners that met all of our needs - "Harbor Town". We bought two of them. The back is taller, and the seat is pretty wide, because of the narrower arms. In the RE3, the recliners go in the rear half of the dining slide. With these recliners, we had room for a factory furnished lamp table, between the recliners, and still had more room between the forward recliner and dining table.

We chose a leather covering, and we were certainly not disappointed when the chairs arrived. In our opinion, these recliners added to a more open look in the living area, which is a really good thing, when one is living in the RV fulltime.

FYI, here is the link to this recliner model - - - - If anyone is interested, this link has a "customize button" that can be selected for choosing the different colors for viewing on the chair.

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/12-3694/Harbor-Town-Small-Recliner/

Robert

golf_bears
11-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Mike2338,

You may not be aware that the internal tank gauges do not work well. I had the SeeLevel gauges installed by the factory when we ordered our RV. The SeeLevel gauges utilize external tank sensors as a result do not get gunked up. The internal tank sensors do get gunked up and give you false tank level readings.

If you are interested Google SeeLevel and/or call DRV. It's well worth the price to know for sure what your tank levels are.

john
11-29-2010, 09:23 AM
I installed the SeeLevel gauges this past summer. They work great. Wish I had them installed by DRV when I purchased, might have saved a few bucks. Hope they are at the 2011 rally.

Beachgirl
11-29-2010, 02:17 PM
We are ordering new and the SeeLevels are on sale! Which one do you recommend? I would like the LP indicator as well.
We are thinking the 712-P would be the one to get?

Mike2338
11-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks All for your replies.

We are changing to a smaller couch which will keep us in line with the measurements. The recliners are at the max for both width and depth.

The only modifications we are doing is having the SeeLevel gauges installed, sending DRV fabric to be used on the valances and a different fabric for the chairs. We are ordering custom fabric for the recliners and couch.

I want to up the size and quality of the TV's but am getting mixed messages from DRV and the dealer. The dealer is telling me the bracket used on the lift in the livingroom only fits a Sony brand. DRV is telling me any TV up to 45" across can be accomodated. I will be working that out this week.

Also having heated pads for the tanks and drain elbows but not the second furnace. I always get nervous when camping in the cooler temps.

Would like to upgrade the mattress but now have to find a 72x80. We may just end up ordering the DRV mattress and put a memory foam topper on it.

I guess after having it for awhile we will find other things we would have changed too.

Thanks again!

m

jcasey
11-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Sometimes people state--in their posts--mattress sizes and names that are not the same as commonly used outside of the RV world. While that might not be a problem for many, here is a web site listing mattress sizes and names that are usually used in the industry.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sleepexperts.com/img/body/mattress-sizes.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sleepexperts.com/mattresses/mattress-sizes.asp&h=300&w=279&sz=11&tbnid=aSOk9dYIYWN7vM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmattress%2Bsizes&zoom=1&q=mattress+sizes&hl=en&usg=__imAkqjHHgpG-Uiv0kVs1sr8-jPI=&sa=X&ei=mpf1TPvLOMT6lwfjveyCBg&ved=0CEAQ9QEwAw

The so-called "king size" mattress in a Mobile Suites is likely a "short California King (72 x 80)', which is a different size than a true "King (76 x 80) or standard California King (72 x 84)." The link above
gives what seems to be the accepted mattress terminology and sizes.

Incidentally, one can use a true "King" mattress in a Mobile Suites if one wants a bit more width. In our case, we had the factory make the bed platform a bit wider to support a true King---even though the standard
bed platform will support the King even if the King is a bit wider than the platform for the short-California King--as usually found in a Mobile Suites.

There also might be another short-king and a short-queen for RV application. I think there also is a "giant King mattress" for home use. But, I am unfamiliar with those mattress sizes.

I hope I conveyed the correct info on the Mobile Suites mattress sizes. If not, let me know.

5thwheeler
11-30-2010, 08:53 PM
It's my understanding that Garnet Technologies (SeeLevel Guages) will be at the Suites Rally in 2011 (River Plantation RV Park, Sevierville, TN)

Mike2338
11-30-2010, 09:04 PM
jcasey,

Thanks for the website but I am told the 'king' in the MS is 72x80. Same width but 4 inches shorter than the CA King.

m

jcasey
11-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes, the "King" in a Mobile Suites isn't a 76 x 80 standard King. I think it is a 72 x 80 mattress---or a short version of the California King. The non-short, or full version of the California King is 72 x 84

Now I am getting confused!

Beachgirl
12-01-2010, 12:03 PM
We are in the pre order stage.

Our dealer didn't think the SeeLevel guage was needed. He also didn't think we should do the roll out tray in the basement.

His recommends:dual batteries, Trail Air suspension w/o the pin box, BMW hitch, Fantastic fan in Kitchen, Power management, LP Quick disconnect for outside grill (door side), drawer under the bed, run RG6 cables to bedrm, dealer install PressurePro, Surge Guard Protector.

We were thinking 15.0 AC in bedroom, he recommended 13.5 so you could add the heat strip.

My own mods are delete carpet, delete oven (just a stovetop), 2 extra pantry shelves, one extra shelf in linen closet, add an outlet to the right of the stove,delete window in bath, add longer mirrored cabinet. Delete recliners, have LazBoy sent for the build, Queen bed. DRV to install Instant hot water faucet on sink, and tankless hot water on coach. Added tub combo.

So ?. What about the Gas Magnum Shocks? Upgrade microwave? Sleep number bed? Thank you so much. If anyone has any other mods, places to add outlets, etc, now's the time. :)

bstark
12-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Depending on the style of "camping" you do, he may be correct about the SeeLevel guages but I make that statement based on not needing any guages once you become familiar with your coach. If you are sitting in one spot for any length of time you'll very quickly determine how many days you can go with normal daily routines before dumping or fill up with fresh is required.

If you're going to require tank guages of any type GET THE SEE LEVEL ONES as the others aren't worth c**p! Opinion only here; DRV should be installing them as OEM equipment instead of the others anyway as they actually work and do not require holes in the tanks for the stupid probes.

Why delete the Trailair pinbox. I found that to be one of the best options I could have ordered and I kept it even though I later installed an air hitch on my International. If towing with one of the pick-ups I'd think it or a facsimile would be a must. Magnum suspension option used to include the heavier axles, hydraulic disc brakes and the gas charged shocks. I'd go with the gas charged shocks regardless. The roads ain't gett'n any better out there and the air pinbox and gas charged shocks will be helping your trailer out even if you don't notice any ride imrovement at all.

Now; dealer installed Pressure Pro? We're talking about a minimum of DIY skills here to find a spot in the cab for the panel and then hook power and optional antenna wire to it if you need it. Programming the thing is as easy as screwing the sensors onto the valve stems one at a time and waiting for it to sense the sensor before moving on to the next one.

I agree with his other suggestions of cabling to bdrm and hard wired 50 amp surge guard. His thinking about the 13.5K A/C in the bedroom has merit IF you cannot add a heat strip to the 15K unit. The 15 K unit can be ordered as a heat pump but it loses efficiency below 40F degrees whereas a heat strip doesn't and will easily keep providing heat below that mark. Only you know what temps you're likely to encounter in your travels.

I tend to agree with him about the roll-out tray. While it makes getting to stuff in the center of the basemant easier it takes up a lot of room itself and again; only you know how much "stuff" you're likely to be carrying down there.

Beachgirl
12-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I'll price the Pressure Pro to see how much we save with DIY.

The 15.0 ac can't do a heat strip.

His reasoning on the pin box was that if you had air on the hitch side you would get a trampoline effect.We are 5th wheel newbies, and still have to research hitches etc.

Anyone have microwave advice? Is the Advantium worth the upgrade?

Gemstone
12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
"run RG6 cables to bedrm" Why ? For what ?

For a PC, use a wireless router, for TV, use a HDMI cable (http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx)

I also use both the air pin, and air hitch, they work great together.

Agree about the oven delete....we cook all the time, and in 4 years of fulltime, we have never used the oven except for storage.

Regards
Gemstone

terry and jo
12-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Beachgirl,

You mentioned BMW hitch. Is that intended for the rear of the coach? Or, is it a B&W hitch which is a turn-over ball and using a "gooseneck" adapter that fits down over the turn-over ball?

If you are referring to the turn-over ball with a gooseneck adapter, I really advise against those with coachs as heavy as the DRV's are. From what I've been told, those type of adapters put additional strain on the frame of the coach, especially in the front.

Here is a link to a gooseneck adapter on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/5th-Wheel-Gooseneck-Adapter-12/dp/B000NDL4TU

Terry

The View 5046
12-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Unless Drv has made a change the RG 6 cables will already be wired to the bedroom. We also deleted the oven, never use the oven in our last 3 5th wheels.

As for the Trailair pin box, had them before and we have a Trailer Saver air ride and had no need for the Trailair pin box saved money. I deleted the bath room windows and should have deleted the window behind the TV never use it. One of the best options was the Winguard Traveler roof mounted HD dish. We also had Drv make a place for our HD receiver under the cabinets below the bedroom TV.

Beachgirl
12-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Thank you all for your replies. He must have been saying B&W hitches because he did mention turn over ball. I'm such a newbie I didn't get what he was saying, lol.

I'm not sure what he wanted the cables in the bdrm for...I was thinking I would just connect a DVD player via HDMI to the TV.

We have had a travel trailers for 15 years now, and I never use the oven, either.
Ok, I think I will do a search and get on top of this hitch business.

Also, thinking of putting a drawer under the queen bed...

Motor31
12-02-2010, 08:39 AM
When I ordered our rig the trailer saver hitch was part of the package. You got it free if you ordered the suspension from them. I would not be without it. There is a shock ON the pin box to dampen oscillation. No one I have talked to gets a "trampoline" effect. I also have air bags on my tow vehicle and certainly get no suspension bounce from them either.

We like the oven. Once an oven tie is in place it works great. Nancy uses it all the time for cornbread and other stuff. We wouldn't be without it.

Class 6 cables should be standard for TV purposes. It was back on 05, no reason to change now.

If you do camp in hot areas the 15k AC unit will come in handy. Frankly, we have found that we can heat the bedroom with a small portable space heater far warmer than we like it. Having said that I wish we had gotten the heat pump option there as well as in the main trailer AC. We do not spend time in a really cold area. We go to Tucson AZ for the coldest months. Yes it will occasionally get down to the 20's there. At that point we want the furnace to run as the basement needs to be heated to prevent freezing to the pipes and tanks anyhow. The space heaters mean that we can still have the heat pump and the space heater if all the park has is 30 amp service. That won't be the case with dual heat pumps unless you turn one off.

If you intend to use the tank gages at all the see level will work. Shortly after you get the unit the normal black tank gage will be non functional as it will get fouled. If you want to know the level in the tanks, including the grey, get the see level now. Forget the old style, they are a waste of time.

Shocks are a good idea on the suspension IF they do a proper job of placing and welding the mounts. I had to have mine re welded since the factory didn't do the job right to begin with. I found out by finding one shock hanging with the frame mount broken. Others have had shocks bent because the mounts were placed too close together. These units NEED good shocks to protect the trailer and contents not to mention maintain control of the rig.

Unless you need a super duper microwave or convection oven, the upgrade is really pricey.

wingnut60
12-02-2010, 08:53 AM
RG 6 cable is necessary for sat/HD signal--I thought they already put them in, but maybe not. RG 59 won't do the sat--in my '05, already have the 6 in from service to ent center--don't know about the bedroom since we don't use that TV.
Joe

The View 5046
12-02-2010, 09:08 AM
As for the Tank guages, they IMHO are useless. I never pay any attention to them. As someone on another said, might as well paint over them. After being in the Suites for awhile you will know when to dump. When at a site for extended stays I leave the Grey tank valve open. But never leave you black tank valve open except to dump. Use lots of water and back flush until the water is clear.

As for the B&W turnover ball with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. There is a 18,000 lb capacity when in use. As we all know several of the Suites are over that capacity. I used a B&W system with a Heartland Landmark and the 2009 Mobile Suites 36 Tk 3. I talked to the factory about anyway to increase the 18,000 lb capacity when we went to the 2010 38RSSB 3 with the vanity slide. Factory said no way. So I went with the Trailer Saver Air ride 5th wheel hitch 32,000 lb capacity.

If I was ordering a new Suites I would have Drv design a place that you will be able to mount the HD receiver or a DVR system, unless you want to have the systems set on the cabinet top. We had Drv design a place to set the HD receiver. Very Professional job by the way.

I have also had those heat strips, really wasn't what I expected. As said a cheap small electric heater will do much better. We do have a Fireplace in our Bedroom and it works great. We can heat the Suites with the two Fireplaces, however when below freezing I always use the furnace because it will heat the basement compartment.

golf_bears
12-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Beachgirl

You mention the Pressure Pro TPMS, you may want to consider the TST sytem. Here's a link.

http://www.tsttruck.com/

terry and jo
12-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Also for Beachgirl,

Just for your information, Jo and I got the Canadian package with two 30,000 btu furnaces and 2 15K A/C units, both with the heat pumps. We have a indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer and when the temperature is above 40 degrees, we use the heat pumps. If it drops below 40 degrees, then we switch to the furnaces.

Like Delaine and Lindy suggested, we are looking at purchasing 1 or 2 small electric/ceramic heaters to supplement our other heating systems, including the rear fireplace. We saw one at Walmart that looks more stylish than others made by Lasko. Here are links to their models. One model, the 6435 has a remote control and the other model the 6410 does not, although they both have the same specifications otherwise.

First the 6435:

http://laskoproducts.com/heaters/model_6435.html

Second, the 6410:

http://laskoproducts.com/heaters/model_6410.html

Terry

bstark
12-02-2010, 03:03 PM
The confusion on the Trailair pin box may be from your dealer stating the trampoline effect may be a result of adding the trailair pinbox to another air bladder system either incorporated within then hitch mounted in the trucks bed such as a TrailerSaver or an air suspension system on your trucks rear axle and I'm here to tell you tha's bunk of the first order!

As Mike explained above: the Trailair Pinbox has a shock abosorber to control/dampen rebound.

Your trucks rear suspension WILL have shock absorbers regardles if it is a spring with air bag assist or air only suspension.

I towed with a Gene McCall Airglyder hitch that had two air bladders for vertical movement with shock abosorbers and my truck also had a full air suspension but again with shock absorbers as all vehicles do. I never noticed any occaasion of the front of the trailer behving as though it were on a trampoline as all of these systems have different compression rates and are dampened on their rebound.

To look in the mirror and see the front of your trailer floating slightly while going over terrrble highway sections gives one a wonderful piece of mind reassurance that the pinbox framing of the trailer isn't being beat to death.

While having an air pinbox may not be of concern IF you have a Trailersaver or other air assisted hitch in the truck I would certainly have one REGARDLESS of what type of suspension your truck has. JMHO

Beachgirl
12-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Wow! I go on a cruise for a week and come home to some great, thoughtful replies! Thank you so much!

Terry: The Lasko heater is on sale at Walmart right now for $36.88. Doesn't appear to be the model with the remote, but the price is right! It's also quite classy looking. I am now leaning towards 15 btu in bdrm ac: we camp in the hot far more often than cold. Is there much of a difference between the 13 btu and the 15? And you would then do the heat pump on the bdrm A/C, yes?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Designer-Series-Oscillating-Ceramic-Heater/5130766#ShortReviewTitleBar

To Bstark, Terry , The View and others:

Ok, I think we now have a rudimentary knowledge of hitches, lol. Enough to begin asking intelligent questions, lol. I think I read elsewhere that Delaine thought the B&W was one of the best hitches he'd had; so that supports my dealer's thoughts; though with an MS38' I will probably run up against that 18k pound limit.

However, everything I've read has pretty much convinced us to use either the air pin box or an air hitch; air something! Since we are buying a new truck, we can choose either. Is the cost of a hitch plus TrailAir Pin box about the same as a TrailerSaver air hitch?

I really want to avoid any chucking, etc. So tell me what you think is the best way to go, pin box/ hitch wise. And if you say Trailair w/ triGlide, then also recommend a hitch. And also whether or not you think we should do both- the Trailair Triglide in addition to an air hitch such as TrailerSaver.

Thank you all again sooo much!

Also, I decided to go ahead and do the bunk bed mod. It might also appeal to some of you grandparents out there who don't have a washer/dryer in the coach. I am also adding the tankless hot water heater. I can already tell you that is a surefire winner! We've had one in our Sunnybrook for 13 years!

Thanks again! We finalize our order this week! :)

wingnut60
12-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Get the 15000 A/Cs, you can turn them down; but you can't turn the 13.5s up when maxxed out. Trust me, you need 2 in 100+ temps.
Joe

terry and jo
12-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Beachgirl,

From what I've been told by others here and on SOITC's forums, I would suggest the two 15K air conditioners, especially since you say you will be more in the warm country than cold.

While Jo and I think the Lasko is stylish looking, it is a ceramic heater. I don't know if there is a fan in the system. I do know it oscillates back and forth, so I would presume there is a fan. On one of the forums that I frequent, there has been a long running discussion of the Vornado brand electric heaters. Here is a link to that discussion. It runs something like 25 pages.

http://www.myrvtalk.com/interior/3077-vornado-heaters.html

As for the hitch, we have a Reese 20 or 22K fifth wheel in the pickup and the Trail-aire Pinbox with tri-glide on the MS. We pulled it to Carthage, MO back in October to a mini-rally and other than a couple of times on bridges, there was absolutely no chucking. I should also add that most of that driving was on Oklahoma roads. (Ask any RV'er about Oklahoma roads.)

We also have the Trail-Aire suspension on the MS as well. When ordering the MS, we didn't know about the tri-glide on the pin box, but ours came with it, so I would guess that it is standard with the Trail-Aire pin box. But, check with your dealer to see if it is necessary to also get the Trail-Aire suspension. By the way, we really like the system, even for the little time we've pulled the MS.

Terry

billr
12-13-2010, 07:35 AM
As far as hitches go, do get the air hitch in the truck. You won't be sorry later. If you use a Light duty truck (Any pickup model LTD) then the tri-glide on the trailair pinbox on the MS is a good choice to add to the air hitch in the truck. If you go with a MDT or HDT (as we use) no need for tri-glide since there is Zero chucking. Chucking is a result of the tail wagging the dog with the heavy trailer and lighter truck.

Any rigid hitch will not give you as good a ride in the truck or trailer in a LDT as a air ride hitch does.

I second the 2 15K AC with heat pumps. You will use them and they are always there in case you need them. Not so if you under equip in the start. We use the heat pump all the time unless really cold out. Wish we had the 15K with heat pump in the front. We have a 13K. 2 15K would also be much better for AC!

Bill

hitchup
12-13-2010, 08:01 AM
I agree about the 2-15k AC's. We were fine with 1-13.5k in the bedroom of our 06-ES 36TK3. But the 09-38' MS seems to soak up and retain the heat longer when you're in a sunny site. The 15k seems to make less noise.

We found this heater at a WM in Paducah, KY last month. It's really lightweight, sides and back stay cool, so can be butted up against the kitchen island. It has a lever to aim air flow up or down and throws off more heat with the fan, but is nearly as quiet as the oil-filled heaters w/o a fan.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Cyclonic-Ceramic-Heater/12568625

Like the idea of a tankless water heater. Eventually, we'll convert ours.

bstark
12-13-2010, 09:11 AM
All good stuff coming at you. As Billr has stated; you can do no better than a Trailersaver hitch in your truck IF it's a pick-up or a 450/550 Ford as an example. Something that needs mentioning is the rating of the hitch itself will not be a concern if you go with the Trailersaver as they are rated for 32,000lb's I believe. Along with this, if you get the Binkly head that comes with the Trailersaver you will have the absolute easiest hook-up/un-hook experience there is to be had. There can be no error in hooking up with the Binkly while some heads will give you the "high pinning" possibilities.

There are many good quality "robust" hitches out there like the Reese Signature series or the PullRite wrap around jaw type but, IMHO, none offer the complete all-round benefit package that the Trailersaver offers unless you move up to a very exotic hitch offered at greater cost (ET Junior for eg:) for some of the larger class 7/8 trucks.

If you are like most of us; budget is of course important but, following the logic that optioning up the coach for all contingencies and then cutting corners on the attachment between the truck and the trailer would in my mind provide you with a "false" savings as you cannot measure the value of the ride you're giving yourself in the truck or the ride you're giving your trailer and it;'s contents.

JMHO.

Beachgirl
12-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Thank you all so much for the thoughtful, helpful replies.

I'm going to switch to the 15 BTU a/c , front and back, w/ heat pumps. Thank you for your seasoned advice there.

I think we will go with the Trailsaver hitch, partly due to that Binkly head. Have only read rave reviews from users.

So last question! LOL Now that we've decided on the air hitch, should we also get the air pinbox with triglide? We are going to get the Trail Air suspension regardless.

Also, just how uncomfortable are those recliners? Deleting them only saves $400...ie we're paying $200. each. There is no Mobile Suite nearby or I'd just go plunk myself down.

I have been in them several times, but it's different when it's D Day, lol.
And are there handy outlets near the dresser in bdrm to place the heater? We aren't doing the vanity slide.
Also, another mod we are doing: having them install Hot Water dispenser to left of faucet. We love ours at home. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KOCV0C/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A7GBCNIY9L1WN

Thank you all SOOO much!

Beachgirl
12-13-2010, 10:36 AM
We're planning to get a 2011 Chevy; it's towing/ specs are quite close to the Ford F450.

I called Hensley (who makes the TrailerSaver) He thought we should forego the TrailAir pinbox w/ TriGlide.

1. It's no longer needed w/ an air hitch, and 2. It would create another pivot point= more movement.

So we will still get the Trail Air Suspension. Whew! Nearing the final moment here. DH recalls disliking the recliners so we will just order La Z Boys. I wish I knew what model Cardinal puts in their trailers as they were very comfortable.
Thank y'all again soo much!

john
12-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Have you taught about Mo/ryde Suspension. We love ours on our 2006, no air to check......no chucking with the Mo/ryde hitch.
How about 4 steps?

Beachgirl
12-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes, we did option the 4 steps. Thank you for mentioning it. :)

Does anyone know if the non slide out vanity in the bedroom has an outlet on it?

bstark
12-13-2010, 11:52 AM
In my mind you do not need the Trailair pinbox with the Trailersaver hitch and also that will eliminate an additional complication during hitching/unhitching. The tendancy of the Trailair pinbox to arc down when you come out from under the pin will no longer be added to the Trailersaver also wanting to rise when unhooking. The Trailersaver hitch will have a relativley convenient control you can use to release air from it "IF" required whereas the Trailair in most cases requires you to hop up into the bed of the truck to take the cap off the fill stem and depress the core with a key or something which can be a PITA.

This rise of the hitch bladders and drop of the pinbox lower jaw would require you to either remove air from them or to raise the trailer almost a full foot to align your height for backing under so that the two align for hook-up. You don't need that aggro. The Trailersaver can be optioned on install with an on-board Viair compressor capable of adding air on demand to the hitch itself, your truck tires, suspension air bags if added, the Trailair suspension AND your trailer's "H" rated 125psi tires. some of the 12v Viair's are quite capable little monsters that have a higher CFM rating than the cheap 12v jobbies you can get at any auto supply and it can be installed permanently under your truck alongside a frame member. OR you could just go with a 120v compressor capable of 135psi or thereabouts so it will push a full 125psi into your trailer tires without you having to sit there for an hour.

This is of course only necessary under very limited circumstances. You could trailer for years without having to release the air but if you ever do it's nice to not have to be a gazelle to do it.

Beachgirl
12-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Haven't finalized yet. I am having second thoughts about the 38 TKSB vs the 38 Rssb3. I love the look of the peninsula and the extra counter space. OTOH, it's not just the 2 of us,; we have 4 kiddoes still at home. I'm wondering if that J- hook counter will box us in and impede traffic flow.

Thoughts?

terry and jo
12-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Beachgirl,

Too bad you aren't in Oklahoma. You could come see our 38TKSB3. When we were looking, we drove from the Oklahoma City area up to Springdale, Arkansas to see a 38TKSB3 on the lot. I had read where someone thought the computer desk just took up too much space in the living room.

However, we are heavy computer users, so a desk is important to us. And, we didn't think the desk overpowered the room.

Now, in a previous posting, you asked about bedroom outlets. Ours has four in the bedroom. One is on the wall between the dresser and the overhead storage on the right hand side. There are one each over the two "night tables" that we have due to the queen bed. And the third is on the wall to the left of the closet and is close to the nightstand on that side. That one is brown. Check the photos below. Also, you can look at my Photobucket account below at the folder entitled Our New Home to see pictures of the 38TKSB3. If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Terry

Beachgirl
12-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Those photos were most helpful! Plus I got to see what our queen suite will look like! :) If you could do one more photo for me...we are thinking of getting drawers under the queen, but really need to be able to store a couple sleeping bags and pillows under there. Would it all fit?

I think the desk is perfect for a couple....since we have large numbers of people over, living space is a premium. :) IE no desk.

My angst is I love the look of the peninsula, but my older children are telling me it's just not very practical. Like having to run around the island to access the kitchen, or being stuck if someone has the fridge open. I'm going to sleep on it and call to finalize tomorrow. They are voting for the island. I might vote them off the island, rofl! Just kidding, they are great.

We do frequently have crowds in and serve buffett style when the gang is all around...we're talking 17 people or so...so traffic flow is a consideration, as is *counter space*! Hence my angst...

Thank you so much! We are just about DONE!! This group has helped us immensely! Nailing the hitch thing down was a biggie! Hopefully we will get to meet some of you at SOITC rallies and such.

The View 5046
12-13-2010, 04:09 PM
We have had the TK style kitchen on 3 different 5th wheels. We order our 38 RSSB 3 with the vanity slide and the kitchen has a 84" kitchen isle. The TK kitchens just didn't give us enoutgh room in and around the kitchen. We have a large furr kid and the 84" extended kitchen isle gives so much more room. and we lost no cabinet space. We use laptop computers so we had no need for the desk in our opinion the desk was wasted space. We had the desk before and really wasn't used that much. Other have different opinions. We also deleted the bath room window and now wish we had deleted the window behind the TV just another wasted window. The vanity slide is a plus for us more room in the bedroom and we also downsized to the queen bed had only king size in the other 4 5er again you gain more space.

We also didn't want the Trailair pin box with the pin weight of the Suites the Trailer Saver air 5th wheel hitch is a better option for us. Hitching and unhitching is much easier with the Trailer Saver, we have a standard pin box. One other thing if you go with the Winguard roof mounted Dish, I recomend you have Drv mount the dish as forward or as far to the rear as possible. Ours is mounted just a little forward of center and at time it would have been better far forward or as far to the rear as possible. We also went with the Elite Suites color on the Micro/Convection and the Fridge, we had two other 5th wheels with the Stainless steel and so very easy to damage, the Black doesn't show damage as much. The cabinet for the dishes is glass in ours and we wish we would have had solid doors there. Good Luck.

Beachgirl
12-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Thank you for your reply. I hadn't realized the stainless would show more damage. Our dealer already offered the black fridge at no charge. I wasn't sure if it would match the counter top. Damage could be an issue tho...we have kiddoes!! :shock:

Have waffled about the tv window. We sometimes would have the tv down during the day.

I think if I go with the island, I will have them put a door to the right of the oven, drawers in lieu of oven, then keep the cab door that is there on the right. Symmetry.

Another option offered was to keep the RSSB, but still put a J hook in. Then you get more counter space (ie left of the stove). But you cut down on your living a bit. All of y'all's experiences are helpful as we ponder. I so appreciate you all taking the time with so many petty questions!

terry and jo
12-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Beachgirl,

Your wish is my command. Sadly, I don't have a picture of Delaine and Lindy's (The View) kitchen arrangement so I can't get you a comparison of that island and the peninsula.

I am attaching three pictures of the space under the bed. It doesn't look like there is room for drawers and sleeping bags. You'll see in the photos.

Now, if Delaine and Lindy still have my e-mail address, they might could send me a photo of their island and I could post it. Or, they could post it themselves.

We considered the vanity (or fourth slide) in the bedroom. While it does give you more walking around room and a little more room in the closet, it is at the expense of overhead storage space, the two side storage cabinets between the overhead and the dresser, and space in the drawers of the dresser itself. If you are considering the fourth slide, I can post comparison photos on my Photobucket page. I don't want to post too many pictures on Fifth Wheel Forum's website because it adds bandwidth.

Terry

Beachgirl
12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Wow! There is certainly not room under there for a drawer and gear! It must be a tank under there. The under bed space looks different under the king. Thank you so much! I think I might skip the drawer. Thank you again!

terry and jo
12-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Because The View (Delaine and Lindy) posted the comment about the vanity slide, I've now posted photos that I took about a year ago of a Mobile Suites 36RSSB4 and a Mobile Suites 38TKSB3. They are on my Photobucket account at the link below.

We drove all the way from the Oklahoma City area to Springdale, Arkansas to see the 38TKSB3 because I had read somewhere that someone thought the desk overwhelmed the area in the living room. Since we are heavy computer users, we decided the desk space was important, so we elected to go with the 38TKSB3 after actually seeing the coach with the desk.

Jo and I had been seriously considering getting the vanity slide when we ordered our 38TKSB. But, after comparing the space lost in overhead storage, dresser drawer space lost, and the loss of two cabinets to the left and right of the window, we decided against the vanity. We would have gained some "walk around" floor space and a little more space in the closet for hanging clothes. But, we would have also lost a little space in the closet for shelf storage on the door side of the coach.

Each of the photos at the link have a description of what differences there are in the two versions. One other difference, however slight, is that the non vanity slide version had an additional mirror in the bedroom that could be slid aside to let one see out the window. The vanity slide version does not have that mirror.

Terry

http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z458/TerryandJo/Bedroom%20Dresser%20Space%20Comparison/

Beachgirl
12-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I just looked at those photos. I am so glad that we did not choose the bdrm slide, even tho the dealer recommended it. We really need the drawers for the 4 kiddoes, and the storage in the nonslide version is amazing!

That is also the first time I've really gotten a good look at the window mirror.

Thank you so much for sharing those and taking the time and trouble. I excitedly showed dh and we are now even more looking forward to this trailer.

We are also heavy computer users, but like to sit in our recliners with our laptops. :)

We agree the Queen set up will give us all the room we need.

Thank you again for taking the time and trouble. I really appreciate it.

The View 5046
12-13-2010, 07:05 PM
We also deleted the Oven we never use the Oven. Delaine can cook almost anything in the Convection oven. We actually have so much drawer space some of ours has nothing in them. As for the Vanity slide we think its one of our best options we need the room more that the drawer space. As for the Queen size bed the bed has two sliding drawers under the foot. We learned several years ago that the more storage space you have the more stuff you haul around you never use. Our basement is about half full. I will tell you, no matter what you order when it gets here you will think of something else. Or Drv will make changes thru the year. We have a early 2010 Suites and it has been many changes in the first year. Good Luck.

Beachgirl
12-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks for your post, Delaine. Were you guys by any chance going down I12
in Louisiana on Sunday morning on your way to Gulf Shores?
We saw a Suite!

Yes, we deleted the oven too.

We need all that storage. We have, blush, ten kids. Usually, we have 7 of them around at any given time, though sometimes all ten. Two are married.

It's true they will make changes. Then I will just have to practice the art of contentment. Big grin.

hitchup
12-14-2010, 08:05 AM
We had a 36TK3 with peninsula and would get caught in it when another wanted to access drawer or cabinet. That's why we ordered the 38TKSB3 with an Island (38RSSB wasn't a FP at the time). Then paid extra to have it extended. Now I think they might all be extended.
I like having the end cabinet on the Island and it's easier to move around both sides of kitchen so two can work in it at once.
Our Ent Ctr had to be somewhat customized. It is wider than 2011's 38RSSB models. The oven side of the kitchen is identical to our 36TK and provides plenty of countertop. Mixing, baking is all done near the sink anyhow. The overage kitchen storage goes in the Ent Ctr. [/img]

Beachgirl: our underbed storage is twice the size of Terry & Jo's. We have a Qn, but all the hoses from the w/d run down underneath in center of bed. If you are having bunks put into the w/d area, you may get more underbed storage since they can keep it open.

terry and jo
12-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Vickie and David,

Do you suppose they changed something from 2009 to 2010 on the 38TKSB3? Ours is a 2010, so Beachgirl may want to check with someone at the factory (NOT THE DEALERSHIP) as to whether the box that in under our bed would be the same in a 2011.

For yours to be twice the size underneath as ours would mean that there would be practically no box at all, because the box under ours takes up about half the room. Interesting.

Terry

Beachgirl
12-14-2010, 04:45 PM
I did call Kyle at the factory and ask about the underbed storage. He said it does vary, but the 2011 would have more than Terry and Jo's. I think I am going to opt for no drawer anyways so that I have plenty of room for sleeping bags, pillows, etc.

After much thought, I think what we like most is the peninsula. I figure that most of the kitchen activity that is non-cooking related involves the fridge and the pantry, neither of which are behind the peninsula. I just love that look!

It's a given that we are getting the 38', and that we are eliminating the desk.

Now I just have to decide do I want the 38 RSSB that has the extra counter top to the left of the stove and with an added J Hook - a peninsula- for lots of counter space; or do I want the 38 TKSB3 with the extra room there ( w/o) the desk. This would involve a larger entertainment center. Maybe it would the look like Vickie and Dave's? Is that the look minus the desk? It looks huge!

We decided against the bunk beds. Our youngest just has an inch to go and he will be too tall.

So kitchen larger? Or living room? We do plan to have the hi lO table and that does make it seem smaller. I keep combing the Youtube videos to see what the smaller living room is like vs the smaller kitchen.

wingnut60
12-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Just for another opinion: we got our TK3 in '07--2 years old. Have had it for 3 years now and just had the peninsula changed to an island at Indiana Interstate. My wife and I really like the ability to go thru the kitchen in 2 areas now.
Your call, of course.
Joe

terry and jo
12-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Well, this of course falls into the "two cents" worth category, but if you are going to eliminate the desk anyway, why not have the longer island like Delaine and Lindy (The View) have in theirs?

We wanted the desk, so the peninsula just extends the area of where we can place things in the desk and on the kitchen countertop. For instance, we may need to occasionally set a printer up there.

I will say that with the peninsula, if you need to reach the electrical outlet that is back behind that "roll-up" door on the cabinet, it is a good stretch with the peninsula in the way. If you had just an island, that area would be much easier to get into. I'm 5'8" tall, and I can barely reach that outlet from behind the peninsula. One can't at all reach it from the desk side of the counter.

As you can see in the photo, we elected to order the oven. Some things are just better if cooked over a long period of time. Jo's roasts just fall apart with a fork, oh, and beans. And cornbread. Damn, Jo's a good cook.

Terry

hitchup
12-15-2010, 08:40 AM
DRV will change many little things from year to year or even during a model year. It's hard to know when changes are made.

Terry is right about the plugs being easier to reach on the Island. You can add one to the right of the drawer unit if you get an extended Island. It would mirror the one on the garbage end. I just didn't think about it when we ordered, since I wasn't sure where plugs would be located.

We love the larger living area. It's especially good when we get a crowd visiting. The kitchen is more than adequate. We eliminated the gas oven, because I use the GE micro/convection or a Flavorwave oven for meals. Thanksgiving David did a great job with on a 10 lb turkey in GE M/C. Cooked in the Turkey bag and it fell off the bone.

A couple of older kitchen pics attached.

Beachgirl
12-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Terry and Jo:
The pix was great. What I am planning to do is have an extra outlet installed just below the counter, but to the left of the double doors, on the outside facing into the kitchen.

I know this is not the most practical choice, but dh and I just love the look of the peninsula. So we're going to go with that.

Now we are down to our last big decision: smaller 36TK kitchen, or smaller 36 TK living area/entertainment. Right now we are leaning towards the larger living since we also want the HiLo table.

Vickie and David:

Thank you so much for the photo of the large entertainment center. Now can I be a pest and ask you to share a photo of the whole shebang, top and bottom? Right now we are leaning towards the larger living room on the 38. I know you guys have the island so I won't get the effect of that solid wall next to it. But I'll be able to see how much floor space I gain. Thank you in advance!

If you guys think of other mods, fire away.
So far:
* 2 shelves in the w/d closet only on the left side, rt side left open
* Queen bed w/ 2 nitestands
* w/d prep in basement, but not in closet
* delete oven, drawers in place of
* 2 15k a/c w/ heat pump
* Trailair suspension only
* LP Quick disconnect for outside grill
* delete carpet as much as possible
* 2 extra shelves for pantry
* 1 extra shelf in linen closet
* Instant Hot water to left of kitchen faucet
* SeeLevel gauges
* Tankless Hot water (PrecisionTemp)
* Second dvd player prep in bdrm
* Delete bath window, replace w/ larger mirrored cabinet
* Extra outlet on outside of peninsula to left of cab doors, near top
* Delete recliners, will drop ship LaZBoys

I didn't list options, just mods.

Is one shelf extra enough in the bathroom linen?

hitchup
12-15-2010, 11:52 AM
We added 3 shelves in bottom of linen closet and none on top. Not sure how many we added in the pantry. But the 2011's are deeper than our 2009. So you'll have more room than ours.

Just a thought: if you add w/d prep in closet, too, it will give you the opportunity to add an all-in-one unit or washer only without much effort. You may eventually find you miss having onboard laundry with kids. You'll like the dual plugs and drain and faucets are high, so you could box those in maybe with a false wall attached to the shelves on the left.

Had to "clean" house for photo, but if you ignore the clutter.

RGordon
12-15-2010, 04:46 PM
All your items look good but the basement washer & dryer prep. This would be a waste of valuable space and would require you to make trips outside just to do laundry, such as days when raining. Better to do it in the bedroom so you can lay your closes on the bed. I can tell you are not getting it for fulltiming or extended stays. Our stacked washer & dryer is the best option we have. We went with the power king bed upgrade with memory foam mattress, which we like very much. We regretted not getting the heat pump in bedroom option. Good luck on your selection.

terry and jo
12-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Beachgirl may not be going with the washer and dryer because with the number of people in their family, the compact washers and dryers might not keep up with their clothes. Unless she was willing to wash and dry practically all the time.

My understanding is they plan on traveling with at least four kids. Unless I read things wrong. That very well could be my problem.

Terry

Beachgirl
12-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Well, it reminds me of the joke when people hear we have ten kids...."we know what you've been doing"...and I usually reply, " yeah, laundry!

This is our 4th RV purchase...and I would rather use the laundry at the campground and get everything done at once, or do it at whomsever's home I am visiting. We just didn't want the pipes et al showing in the closet, but we did want to leave the prep nearby in case we ever changed our minds. I think I must have confused RGordon into thinking I was prepping for laundry IN the basement. Instead of just tidying up my closet w/o completely doing away with future in-the-closet capabilities.

We actually are getting this for extended stays.

I ordered our Suite!! After much deliberation, we decided to go with the RSSB3. As much as I loved the TK, I had ears to hear those who had purchased one, and then traded/ altered to the island. The voices of experience resounded in my ears.

I did change the drawers under the appliance garage to doors w/ 3 adjustable shelves. I plan to use this as a mini pantry. I also ordered 2 adjustable shelves for the cabinet at the end of the island near the living room.

I think the RSSB3 lets me have my cake and eat it too. I get the extra counter to the left of the stove, and more living space in the living room, w/o sacrificing cabinet/counter space. I still think the TK has more charm.

All of the photos and commentary helped me so immensely. I just can't thank y'all enough for all the time and trouble you took.

terry and jo
12-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Well, for a thread that was started by Mike2338 (I think), this one has turned out to be helpful for more than one family that has been looking at DRV products.

We haven't heard much from Mike, but I'm assuming that they have ordered their coach as well. Now, we hear that Beachgirl has ordered hers.

All well and good, and I'm hopeful that we have all served to be wise counsel to the decisions of both of you. With all being said, I now have a new question, but it will be for a different thread since it is primarily about TrailSaver fifth wheel hitches.

Good luck to both families with your new coaches (when you get them). While we have had a few problems with ours, I am still glad that we bought a Mobile Suites.

Terry

Gemstone
12-16-2010, 07:01 AM
"Queen bed w/ 2 nitestands"

Have you considered deleting the factory bedding...their standard mattress is really junk.

"w/d prep in basement, but not in closet"

I would agree with the "prep" in the basement, that is where I had ours moved, not the appliances, just the hookups. I couldn't figure out why they engineered hookups behind the W/D location, where you could not reach them in case of a water emergency...may work for the combo machine, or the stacked unit like Sears sells, but not in our case, using stacked Whirlpool separates.

Regards
Gemstone

Beachgirl
12-16-2010, 09:59 AM
I didn't delete the mattress, but I did delete the rest of the bedding.

Not sure how much it saves deleting the mattress.

We are considering the black appliances, which is also causing us to consider the granite. The weight of that is daunting. However, I did find this:

http://www.flexstone.com/rv_manufacturers_GraniteLite.htm

hitchup
12-16-2010, 01:13 PM
The mattress will be fine for the time you use it. Getting a standard Qn will allow you to upgrade anytime in the future.

We had Black appliances in our 2006 Elite. That was one of the reasons we started with a Mobile Suite. Unless Dometic has changed, the black fridge gets dents and scratches and shows fingerprints faster than the SS. Plus I didn't like a slick Blk M/C oven.

The granite was nicer in the Elite, but we thought we would try solid surface. It shows scratches and gets dull, too, no matter how much I clean it. Now they are using Corian, which would be an upgrade from ours.

Beachgirl
12-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I just did the std Queen...probbaly put on a foam topper/ mattress cover at first, and see how it goes.

I went ahead and ordered the SS in the kitchen. We actually considered the granite, but the lack of sink covers nixed that. Not to mention the weight and cost! They said the weight was about 650 lbs more, and cost was somewheres near $1700. Eeeks!

I suppose either one of those fridges is going to show finferprints and dings. Sigh. I think I will miss the wood cabinet fridge that I had on my Sunnybrook.

I still feel good about getting the island- that's progress! LOL

bstark
12-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Congrats Beachgirl; you've carefully considered every angle and option and that's the way to get the most happiness out of one of these. Even if you later change your mind on how something is working out, you at least considered your choice rather than simply living with however the factory would have optioned it up.

Stubbing off the plumbing to the washer/dryer makes perfect sense for a later change of circumstances in your washin/drying protocols.

golf_bears
12-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Beachgirl,

Just a suggestion on the fridge. Wifee did not like the SS fridge so she called DRV and they put in the fridge with the oak panels on the doors.

We have a 2008 MS with the standard two door fridge. If you want the oak panel fridge doors give DRV a call, they may be able to accommodate you.

Beachgirl
12-17-2010, 12:00 AM
I googled the 4 door fridges...they seem to only come in SS or black panels. But it was worth a try, lol. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gemstone
12-17-2010, 04:38 PM
"Not sure how much it saves deleting the mattress."

IMO, it's more about quality than $$$, but just the same, going with the factory mattress would be like throwing a couple of hundred $$$ bills out the window. We didn't sleep on a junk mattress on the farm, and saw no reason to skimp when it came time for the RV....after all, we are told we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed. :lol:

Regards
Gemstone