PDA

View Full Version : Inverter/converter

Okie
11-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Question to those that use an inverter for AC when dry camping. When using an inverter are you getting the 12v supply to the 12v lights ect. in the coach or do you still have to have the converter for that? In other words do you need an inverter and a converter? I would like to be able to use an inverter for short periods of time when shore power is lost. I have read some of the specs on inverters and there is no indication of a 12v output except to the charger for the batteries.

Okie

wingnut60
11-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Don't have one of these-yet. But the inverter (12 volt to 110 AC) should be completely isolated from the converter (110AC to 12-volt)...it may be the same unit, but should be electrically separate components. It is smart enough to know which is which. The inverter should be taking 12 volt and changing it to 110AC apart from the converter; same goes for the converter when on shore power.
Someone else will explain this correctly I am sure.
Joe

Jimfla
11-16-2010, 05:29 PM
If you have an inverter you do not have a converter the inverter has a billt in battery charger 12 volt lights work off the batteries just like they do with converter when no shore power is available I have an inverter with 4 batteries