PDA

View Full Version : LP Detecter

RonS
10-12-2010, 12:01 PM
My LP detecter when off for no apparent reason. Nothing turned on, not using it, just loading for winter trip to Texas, in my driveway. Reset it many times and after a few seconds would sound again. Opened the windows and turned on both fantastic fans. Still would not stay off. So today took it to RV place for replacment, none in stock, but can get one on Friday for $64. Told him to order and I will pick up when it gets here. After I got home I took the shop vacume cleaner to it, reinstalled now an hour later still no alarm. What do you think, call it good and CXLD my new order?

rdunk
10-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Ron, we had a similar problem in the past, and it, after much continuing struggle with the "alarming situation", the problem and noise turned out to be the smoke detector directly overhead. It had a low battery.

Replaced the smoke detector battery, and no more alarming!!! lol lol -- What a deal until I finally found the real problem!!!!

Robert

BobW
10-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Last year we were in Quartzsite and ours went off. I disconnected it to find out the problem. It is directly connected to house power. No battery. I turned on the overhead fans, turned off the propane and still the alarm went off. Found out that the house next door had a leak in the bottles. Fixed them and everything was well again.

RonS
10-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Mine for sure was the LP detecter, as soon as I disconnected one of the wires it shut off. Now several hours after my shop vac all is still quiet. Since my first post I have cxld my order for new detecter. Will shop on the internet for better price if it again malfunctions.

matsonelite69
10-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey Ron, Ihave had the same problem, I hate to say this but it seems to happen in my unit after someone flushes the toilet, im not going to say you have the same problem but if you were loading up the walking around could have shaken up the contents. Our alarm also decides to go off in the middle of the nite,Not happy campers at 2am. We also have noticed it will go off when we are low on propane as well. Just a few things that have happened to us, Good Luck Have a great trip. Ronnie

Motor31
10-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Propane detectors tend to get oversensitive as they age. Cleaning may delay another onset but don't count on it. They normally have a warranty period as well. On ours I checked the back and saw the wear out date as well as company contact info. They asked me to send it in then tested it. When it tested as bad before the wear out date they sent a new one to us. It's been fine since.

RonS
10-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Motor31 - When I had mine out I did not look at the back, so thanks for the info and the next time it acts up I will check the date......Ron

BobW
10-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Mine for sure was the LP detecter, as soon as I disconnected one of the wires it shut off.
Well isn't that what's suppose to happen?
Now several hours after my shop vac all is still quiet. Since my first post I have cxld my order for new detecter. Will shop on the internet for better price if it again malfunctions.

RonS
10-17-2010, 09:13 AM
BobW I was responding to rdunk above who said that his was the smoke alarm. LP detecter has not gone off since I took the shop Vac to it, time will tell. Starting today we will be living in it till spring. If the LP detecter is the only thing that causes problem I will be a happy traveler.

terry and jo
10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
While on the topic of the LP alarm, Jo and I finally got to take a trip with our 38TKSB3 to the SOITC mini-rally in Carthage, MO. While there, we turned on the furnace (something that we hadn't used yet other than turn it on to make sure it worked) and after it had run a while, the LP detector went off.

My suspicion is that because of the first "burn" of the furnace, it may have put off fumes that triggered the alarm. Is it possible my suspicion is correct? Or, should I be testing for LP? At no other time have we smelled anything like LP (ethyl mercaptin) in or around the coach.

Your thoughts please. Thanks in advance.

Terry

wingnut60
10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Terry,
I am sure you are correct that it was the "first use" smell that activated the detector, but did it stop after venting the trailer? Or what did you do about it?
Can't be wrong about this, it is serious business.
Joe

terry and jo
10-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Joe,

Since we were "testing" still, we turned off the furnace and turned on the heat pumps. We needed to test those as well. They worked just fine. As for the furnaces, we are back home now and I'll "test" furnaces in the driveway. That way, if there are somewhat dangerous fumes, we won't be forced to stay in the MS.

Terry