PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling fan air flow?

audreyg
08-18-2010, 08:22 AM
My ceiling fan does not have much air flow in either upward or downward position. I wonder if it caused by the way the motor is recessed into the ceiling? Anyone else notice this? Any ideas how to fix it? Thanks.

terry and jo
08-18-2010, 09:25 AM
We noticed the same in our 2010 38TKSB3. However, there is a little more air flow with the fan in reverse, picking up air from below and spreading out to the sides.

I think you are right in that the recessed fan can't get enough air from above to flow down.

We were at a Bed, Bath, and Beyond store a while back and bought a Hunter oscillating fan to sit on the dresser in the bedroom. We may have to get another one for the living room if it stays hot here in Oklahoma.

Terry

Motor31
08-18-2010, 10:06 AM
In a stick house installation a ceiling fan needs at least 6" clearance from the ceiling for full function. We are not going to get anything near that space in a RV. It's more eye candy than function in these conditions.

berghild
09-01-2010, 12:58 PM
we went to a lighting store and sold us a saml fan that has a steeper pitch. it works great but we have to watch the position of the bladeas when bring in the door side slide.

BillA
09-01-2010, 01:37 PM
'scuse my ignorance but what is a saml fan? Did you change out the whole fan, motor and all or just the blades?

berghild
09-01-2010, 01:49 PM
oops. that will teach me to never punch SEND without proof reading first. It was supposed to be small fan. and yes, we did replace the whole fan. ours is broze with oak looking blade...i thing we ordered the blades separate

RonS
09-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I have also been looking for a different fan, but can only find one with a light. I dont want a ligth. Where did you get yours and does t have a light?

Motor31
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Try checking the ceiling fan area of both home depot and leows. They have lots of smaller fans without lights.

berghild
09-11-2010, 10:53 AM
mine was from a lighting store. it has a different pitch than came with our unit. i wish i knew how to send pictures. the gal that help us was very informative about the pitch issue. it still is a small fan but the pitch made a big difference

Motor31
09-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Be careful about the depth, droop and blade pitch on a replacement fan. There isn't much room between the top of the slide and the fan blades when you pull in the slides. A crunching sound would not be good.

berghild
09-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Yes, I bought an extra set of blades since I am the original "space cadet" when it comes to watching the blades when I bring in the slide. I crundhed one three years ago.
Now I bring it in really slow and if the blade is in the wrong place I will let it tap the blade and it gets into the right position. Howard will bring in the kitchen slide last and stand in the kitchen and move the blades with a long handle. It is a little bit of a hassel (sp?) but well worth it for our fan.
Cyndy

terry and jo
04-22-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm reviving this thread because the same topic is being discussed over on SOITC's forums. Someone remembered this thread and I remembered offering to post photos of Berghild's ceiling fan on the forum if they provided it for me. I contacted them via private message.

I am wondering whether Berghild is still active on the forums. It seems they last posted back in September sometime. Does anyone know if Cyndy and Howard are still around?

RodeWorthy
04-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Cyndy and Howard are very much around. We were fortunate to meet up with them again at the Escapees Park in Yuma in March. They had just taken delivery of their new (to them) lot and were very busy landscaping it to their specifications. They do stay busy but I know Cyndy will show up here eventually. Ask her about Howard's blog that he puts a lot of effort on. Armed with that site it would be easy to keep track of them.