PDA

View Full Version : window pane replacement

Charlie and Sue
07-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Just got my replacement windows from Hehr. Last time was full frames, not so now. Can anyone give me advice on removing old ones and installing new? Thanks, Charlie

ponch
07-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Charlie
Take the rubber seal off of the outside of the window then have someone go inside and push until you can get hold of an edge. Then just pull it out.
I am assuming that these are the old type windows not the new screens.

It will take longer to clean off the old glue/silicone than anything else.

Good Luck

keithandpenne
07-17-2010, 12:59 PM
If you do a search, there are many comments and directions on window replacements.

Try and do it in the shade in the cool part of the day as sealant is much easier to remove. If sun hits it, it becomes almost a liquid. Also, watch for the shims on the sides and top. They can fall out easily. The bottom shims may have compressed and need replacement as well. Take your time and it is not a bad job. Some use liquid soap on the seal to help with it's installation but I prefer dry.

Have fun.......

Charlie and Sue
07-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the help.
Charlie

wingnut60
07-27-2010, 10:36 AM
keith is right on in his recommendations, and he even took the time to bring me his extra spacers.

But even with the new spacers put in at the bottom of the panes, my back window has a gap of about 1/8" across the top--I filled the gap with silicone when I noticed it on a trip, will need to take the pane out and use taller spacers.

The operation is rather simple, just take some time and patience to do it right. The seals are easy to take out and put back, just take care there are no gaps at the corners and it seats all around.

Joe

keithandpenne
08-01-2010, 09:50 PM
You might want to do a dry/trial install without the glazing sealant to make sure the window size and shims are right before putting on the glazing tape. I have talked to others that thought the size was wrong when the only problme was the bottom shims had compressed and let the glass sag down. Get that right and the rest is down hill.