PDA

View Full Version : Power Loss

FD5
05-02-2010, 07:23 AM
I am loosing power between breaker box and power cord. My set up is with a surge protector and generator prep. I have 110v leaving both legs from the surge protector into the trailer at 110v+- but at the breaker box inside I only have 110v on one leg. Where do I need to start looking for my power loss?

Thanks,
John

billr
05-02-2010, 08:00 AM
I would start checking the main breaker in the panel, see if you have good power entering the panel from the surge protector to the main, both legs. Also check the neutral. All connections tight and not arced. If they get loose, they can heat up and cause arcing and can damage the main breaker.

As far as the Gen disconnect box, I'm not sure if the main is wired into it first and then to the main panel, if so, then look at that. It could be an issue inside it. Loose connection etc. The Gen protection is suppose to cut shore power if the genny is powered. So it may be the issue.

Just a few things for ya to start with. Good luck.

Bill

keithandpenne
05-02-2010, 11:13 AM
You have power at the power post breaker, then through the surge protector but nothing in the trailer, correct? Do you have any power on either leg of the cord? If you haven't, you might pull the cord where it plugs into the trailer, check voltage there. If no voltage there, you probably have an open in your power cord, most likely at the male end. We used to find many power cords would develop an open in the male end that plugs into the power post due to heat build-up.

As a park host, we were required to check the male ends before allowing anyone to plug in, it was amazing how many bad ones we found. We required their replacement before allowing to plug in as it would cause damage to the female receptacle in the pedestal.

RonS
05-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Keith - So how did you check the male ends? Can't see if anything is loose or not without taking it apart??
Thanks Ron

RGordon
05-02-2010, 07:18 PM
I would also have checked to see if you had 220 volts between L1 & L2. then each leg to neutral & ground inside the breaker panel.

bstark
05-02-2010, 07:20 PM
The simplest things first: Mains panel in the trailer as has been suggested.

The next one is not so simple but necessary as well; your Iota 50 amp transfer panel that is part of your genny prep package in the service bay near the convertor & water pump etc.

That little beauty is responsible to throughput your two legs, either from your incoming line or a generator to the mains panel.

I was having brown outs in the rig and upon testing found the power pedestal to be perfectly fine along with all of the wiring in the mains panel BUT when i took the lid off that transfer panel I could smell the ozone immediately. At least half of the connections in that box were loose!

Your problerm may lie within that panel.