PDA

View Full Version : water in rear storage compartment

jwbups
03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
The rear storage, entrance side compartment, area is always wet. there is a rubber mat inside that compartment but the plywood floor is saturated with water. We emptied the compartment and dried all standing water and after todays rain it had standing water again. I believe the gasket is not on properly and we recaulked around the seam of the cover. Anyone else have this problem. thanks, Jim

Beaver
03-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Look up in the area of your large side light and check the caulking where the rear cap wraps around the side. Good chance your leak could be coming from there. Check the other side too.

Motor31
03-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Chances are that you have a leak in the roof area and the compartment is just where it ponds up. That cap seal strip tends to flex a lot especially when the factory strips off a bunch of screws then just sticks the heads of the screws back in with caulk. Look for cracks in the caulk on both sides of the cap seam and then look at the trim strip on the side of the trailer.

I have lost count of all of the broken screw heads on the trim strips and cap seam covers on our rig.

I go up on the roof every 2 to 3 months to look for new cracks in the caulking on every opening. I'll be adding some eterna bond roof sealing tape to the cap seals where they go around the roof line as soon as the doc allows me to be active again after my surgery 3 weeks ago.

RodeWorthy
04-01-2010, 07:27 PM
In addition to the other conditions mentioned I would suspect a leaky window above the compartment and leaking down inside the walls. Check to see if the ceiling of your compartment is wet too - not just the floor. There was a post recently by Mike on how to remove and repair the windows seals.