PDA

View Full Version : new trick

ponch
03-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Now I don't want everyone to fall out of their chair when you read this but I found a new trick yesterday wile visiting a local street rodder's garage here in the valley.

Once in a while, yea right, we men have been known to drop an object that cannot be retreived by hand or magnet. Well if you will get your vacuum cleaner and place a leg of a pair of panty hose over the tube, the suction will pull the object onto the hose and hold it there untill you remove it.

I had never run into this before so I thought I would post it. Probably some of you guys have run into it before but I hadn't.

Motor31
03-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Some other ideas from a shade tree mechanic include the flexible claw style tool you can find in bargain tool bins. Put some plumbers putty on the end of an extending magnet for non ferrous metal items including inside a small socket to hold the bolt / nut in it. Place a small piece of duct tape on one side of a box end wrench to hold a nut you want to thread onto a bolt in a tight area. If all you can get into the area is one finger, wrap a strip of duct tape sticky side out on your finger and put the nut there so you can thread it on.

ponch
03-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I have heard of and used most of those especially when building my street rod but hadn't heard of that one.

Leave it to the shade tree mech to come up with something. wouldn't surprise me to find out that the vacuum trick came about from a woman try to retrieve something while using the vacuum. lol

sr
03-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Hey Ponch, What size of Panty Hose do you wear and what brand do you recommend??? Do you wear only the one leg after you cut off the other leg?? :lol:

ponch
03-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Just big enough to fit the tube""""

Mexican!

No both !!!

ROTFLMAO!

golf_bears
03-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Here's another shady mecanic tip. For all the wood screws that strip out of the cabinet door hinges and latches in your Suites, take a tooth pick, put some wood glue on the end of it, stick it into the screw hole, break the tooth pick off and screw the screw back in.

It will be better than new and best of all no panty hose required! LOL!!!

Jack in Alaska
03-18-2010, 01:59 PM
golf bears...

You do not even need the glue for this trick if not available. It doens't hurt to use it though.

I found out how to fix my furnace air vent louvered door that has become loose and saggy. I just mentioned it to my finish carpenter friend who tells me he can make it like new...isn't that right Larry??.... :P

chevman
03-18-2010, 09:42 PM
golf bears...

You do not even need the glue for this trick if not available. It doens't hurt to use it though.

I found out how to fix my furnace air vent louvered door that has become loose and saggy. I just mentioned it to my finish carpenter friend who tells me he can make it like new...isn't that right Larry??.... :P

that would be a yes.
chevman