PDA

View Full Version : %off MSRP

audreyg
02-25-2010, 04:56 AM
We are presently looking at a 36tksb3 which the dealer has discounted about 22% off list. This doesn't seem like a good discount to me based on my previous purchases and what I have read on the forums. This would be our first DRV. I don't know if they are discounted different or not. How much discount should I expect based on your experience? Thanks

Stripit
02-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Your only going to get the discount you ask for. Figure the list price and offer them what your willing to pay, that is how many do it and most seem to get close to what they offered. If the dealer is unwilling to work with you, shop via the internet and someone will.

hitchup
02-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Suites aren't discounted any different. It's the Dealers who determine the discounts.

Try: "Is that the best you can do?" If it's not what you're comfortable with, then let them know you appreciate their time and you're checking with another dealer.

Our first 5er, we barely got 10% off, but they threw in some items. We did a little better with the 2006 ES at around 16% and they took our 5er in trade. I've never figured the discount on the MS. It was a fair price to us. We got exactly what we wanted out of the trade-in, which made us happy.

morscuba
02-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Generally speaking the dealers markup is 30%, and about the same or a little more on the options. I start out at 30%. If I get down to 28 27% I will give a little on the add ons.
Good luck.

Motor31
02-25-2010, 11:06 AM
When we got ours before the recession we used the internet to get bids for build to order. I said on the e-mails I sent to 8 dealers in 5 states that if they were going to bid based on MSRP not to bother responding. My purchase price was more than 30% off based on MSRP and options I specified.

I sent it to myself with blind carbon copy to the dealers so none knew who the other dealers were. I listed the model and had, by factory ID number, all the options I wanted listed in the e-mail. I also let them know I had the factory price list for all of it to compare with their bids.

At this time with the current economy if they are not discounting at least 30% I would not bother talking to the dealer.

Any dealer that says they are selling more than they have on hand in the lot or that they can't get units to put on the lot because of demand is not worth talking to. They are trying to tell you it's a sellers market. I might have been born at night but it wasn't last night.

Ready2Retire
03-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Our new 2010 Mobile 36RSSB3 had a MSRP of $107,902.50.

We picked it up for $71,000 out the door for a 34.2% discount off MSRP.

I thought that was a pretty good deal...If you want to know where we got it, let me know and I'll provide you with the dealer name/number.

Good deals can be had....but you gotta shop around a bit...

Gemstone
03-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Another way to achieve a bigger discount is to strip a lot of the options out of your deal...for instance, you can provide a washer and dryer, better quality and cheaper than the factory (bought ours locally and had them shipped to the dealer for installation), same for the entertainment system, (TV's in particular), the bedding (the typical RV mattress is junk) , the easy chairs, coffee maker (our Cuisinart sits on the counter and rides in the sink when we are on the move), the faucets (not really an option, but ask to provide your own residential quality, we've replaced our factory junk faucets since purchase). Get creative, whatever options you can provide of better quality and price means you'll be happier, with more money in your pocket.
One place I would not scrimp would be the running gear...get the best axles, wheels, tires, brakes, and pin box they offer.

One piece of advice you did not ask for, but I'll offer anyway....don't let the dealer tell you that any 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck will do the job...DRV products are among the heaviest manufactured. Look at the signature lines of all the folks who have responded to your posting....none of us use a light duty truck....and I'd wager most of us had to learn the hard way.

Good Luck
Gemstone

rockyman
03-18-2010, 10:03 PM
if you want a great deal without the hassel call Hunter at allseasons rv, he deals in these and has the lowest prices. their website is www.allseasonsrv.com
Hope you get the one of your dreams, they sure are nice!

kingskids
05-23-2011, 09:43 AM
We made two dealers (different states) fight for our business. We told them both what modifications and customizations we wanted (actually gave them a spreadsheet with it all), then told both that "best price gets our order". We ended up with about a 35% discount.

dalehandsome
05-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Be careful. When we were pricing out our 2010 TKSB3 there was an item on the price list that said “Mobile Suite Package (forced) 9,425.00”. I have no idea what this item is, however, it has nothing to do with what you get with the Mobile Suites. It may be there to allow dealers to give you more perceived value or to help in getting financing. If the dealer is including this item, a discount around 36% would be good and if they are not then you should be able to get something around 30%. We did send out inquiries to all the dealers. Of those who responded, Heath at Wheels RV in Arkansas was the one we went with. heathb@cox-internet.com. We did have experience with another dealer who gave a good price up front but only discounted options added after the deal at 15%. Heath discounted everything after the sale at the same percentage agreed on for the unit. All dealers are also not created equal on service after the sale. This is a major investment and good research will pay off.

Pat L.
05-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Well let me throw in something that no one has mentioned. The dealers are known to change the MSRP and it is legal. When we got the spec sheet from our dealer, which we will never go back to, all of the prices had been blanked out. But I did see in the salesman's book a MSRP number that he was working off of. Later I contacted the factory and they sent me the original sheet that was about 8k less than the number they were working off of. So armed with new info I proceeded to beat the hell out of the deal. Walked out and went on our merry way for a few days. Then the dealer wanted to talk which we replied NO. Then the factory guy got involved and made a great deal. The big draw back was the dealer did not do a complete PDI, only about 20%. Sitting in their camp ground for over a week, on their nickel, things started to get done as I found them. Low and behold the factory has been the very best. They have taken care of everything for us. Discount came out to be around 38 - 40%. It was at the end of the year.

rotaxman
05-28-2011, 09:10 AM
We got about 28 percent on our 06 that we ordered in late 2005. I would think in this economy that the savings could be larger.

Agree with the post about Wheels Rv in Springdale Ar Heath is a stand up guy and runs a good business. If I were ever going to buy another DRV WHICH I NEVER WILL Heath would be the man.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry