PDA

View Full Version : very noisy main heat pump/ac

GlennWest
12-04-2009, 02:55 PM
My ac/hp is noisy enough that it actually interferes with listening to tv. It makes a bumping/knocking noise. Sometimes it vibrates the rv. Is it going out? I've only had this a few months but I don't remember it being quite this loud. First winter in it. First use of heat pump mode.

RGordon
12-04-2009, 03:16 PM
You have a dirt dobber nest stuck to your a/c fan blade. I have found then on the enclosed squirrel cage evapator fan blade and some on the outside condenser blades. Just remove outside a/c cover and you will see what the problem is very quickly.

GlennWest
12-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks. Surprised I hadn't thought of that. It's snowing outside right now. Will check as soon as weather clears up. I'm in Port Arthur, TX right now. It'll warm back up in a few days.

bstark
12-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Just dealt with this exact problem yesterday. Good sized mud-dauber nest on the condenser fan blade. Took the cover off of the evaporator side to check it out then moved forward to the front A/C and found another one! Sheesh, those things are nothing if not tenacious. Also found a Kajillion of those Asian beetles that look like lady-bugs clustered all through them.

Huck
12-05-2009, 08:40 AM
I've had mine make some bad noises from time to time.

Sometimes when it is running in reverse to thaw out it makes some strange noises.

A couple times I had ice build up and get hit by the fan blades. I thought it was going out the first time I heard that noise.

GlennWest
12-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Had to turn furnace on last night. Got down to 29 and heat pump couldn't cut it past 38 or so. Thanks again everyone.

Motor31
12-06-2009, 09:21 AM
The heat pump really loses capacity once the outside temp gets down to about 40. It seems it will raise the temp about 20 degrees above outside temperature and kind of "stalls" there continuously running. We got down to about 20 the other night. The furnace and a small space heater were very welcome helps in staying warm especially after I plugged the free flow air "vents" that MS put in the kitchen side slide seals. That "feature" is no help at all in the Winter.

GlennWest
12-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes, if there is one thing I'd want different in my MS it would be that "vent". Can't for the life of me figure why they designed it that way. I even had to "plug" that vent, mosquitoes were coming in.