PDA

View Full Version : Medium Duty Insurance classifications

jarajohn
11-17-2009, 08:02 PM
In negotiations with insurance co's have any of you had the insurance co's rate your medium duty's as commercial trucks? Have you convinced them that they are not commercial, only pleasure vehicles ?? I'm going toe to toe with Geico right now on a RV puller that I have insured as a pleasure vehicle for ten years and suddenly they wish to call it commercial because of it size.
Would appreciate your comments

Huck
11-18-2009, 09:46 AM
What state are you registered in?

All states seem to be different...

I'm registered in PA, and they go by gross weight. Com. or non com.

LindaH
11-18-2009, 11:30 AM
We used to have an MDT insured in both Texas and then South Dakota. As I recall, it was classified as a motorhome for insurance purposes...I know it was not classified as a commercial vehicle.

BillA
11-18-2009, 03:55 PM
You might try an independent agency that specializes in RV insurance such as Miller Insurance (800-622-6347). You most likely will have to insure both truck and trailer with the same company and the combination will be cateorized as an RV.

hitchup
11-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Keep Shopping.

When I called Progressive a few years before we had gone FT, they would only classify our F350 SD as commercial. So we went with GEICO.

But the F450 is considered an RV. Our coverage is through AON Rec (can't remember their new name), using Progressive or Nat'l Ins.

Motor31
11-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Call Farm & City Insurance Services. They are a broker and they have tons of experience with RV's and large tow vehicles. They have saved me a bunch of money and we use a HDT for a tow vehicle.

www.rvadvantage.com 800-331-1520

Trese Hallit is the RV expert, she is knowledgeable and very easy to talk to.

jarajohn
11-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your replies. We had been registered in Oregon but have now moved to Florida. I will give Geico one more day and then will call as suggested. Also have noted 4 or 5 advertisements in the Escapees Mag. that I can also try. Thanks for the help

LindaH
11-20-2009, 09:02 AM
When I called Progressive a few years before we had gone FT, they would only classify our F350 SD as commercial.
Either you talked to the wrong people, or something has changed.

We have a 1-ton insured with Progressive and it is not insured as a commercial vehicle.

hitchup
11-22-2009, 07:21 AM
When I called Progressive a few years before we had gone FT, they would only classify our F350 SD as commercial.
Either you talked to the wrong people, or something has changed.

We have a 1-ton insured with Progressive and it is not insured as a commercial vehicle.

Linda, I see the same issue pop up on other forums a few times a year. What broker you work with and if you're a FTer may make some of the difference.

We weren't FT and DH took his F350 to work everyday. So they couldn't write me a policy and transfered the call to their commercial division.

He still drives the F450 to work everyday, but they classify it as an RV because it's an MDT. When we had a Chevy 3500, they wrote a standard vehicle policy as FTer's and driving to jobsite everyday. BTW: The F450 policy is cheaper than the 3500 was.

wingnut60
11-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Even tho many ins companies can write policies in several/many states, it doesn't mean that what you can do in WA is the same in ME--insurance is a state-by-state regulated business. It took a lot of insistence to get my 450 insured by MetLife in TX as a regular truck for 'pleasure' use only, mainly because they had no listings for it in the computer--the VIN would not come up when they entered it.
Keep looking around, and try the recommended companies who are already familiar with RV tow vehicles.
Joe

LindaH
11-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Linda, I see the same issue pop up on other forums a few times a year. What broker you work with and if you're a FTer may make some of the difference.
We are fulltimers; however, we do not work with a broker...we deal directly with Progressive.

wingnut60
11-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Linda,
What has been your experience with Progressive on claims, if you have had any?
Joe

MDTdriver
12-07-2009, 10:31 PM
We have had an International 4700 insured by Explorer Agency (888-7746-6778) for 5 years for RV use only. We are reg. in Wi. and drive it with a car license, they also cover my 5th wheel and Honda which we pull.

Larry & Kathy and Meeko who love the 32 temp

LindaH
12-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Linda,
Joe
We've never had any claims, fortunately (knock on wood).

hitchup
12-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Linda,
Joe
We've never had any claims, fortunately (knock on wood).

My son has had a couple of dealings. If I were to just go off of those, we probably wouldn't have gone with Progressive. But reading other FTer's favorable experiences and considering the cost was quite a bit lower, we switched from Nat'l Interstate to Progressive on both our F450 and MS.

NI was much easier to deal with twice in accidents and we may change back in the future. But for now we prefer to keep it at Zero claims.....

BobW
10-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I have been with State Farm for 30 years. All they wanted from me was the photo of the hitch. They wanted to make sure I had a RV hitch and not a commercial hitch. Makes a big difference.

MDTdriver
09-26-2013, 07:12 PM
It has been a few years since posting on this forum, still driving my 4700 and same insurance co. Since 2004 no claims. They only take trucks over 12,000lbs. Have fun on your travels, we are going strong.