PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Bugs Off Front Cap of Suites

BillA
10-18-2009, 09:05 PM
I decided to wash our suite this weekend primarily to get the bug debris off the front fiberglass cap. I was not very successful. I was using a carwash detergent and scrubbed the cap three times, first with a soft RV brush and then with a soft carwash mitt. I would guess that 50% of the bug stuff is still firmly cemented to the fiberglass cap. The only thing that will remove it is concentrated pressure and scrubbing on each individual bug which could take hours. Does anyone know of a good cleaning product that will soften or dissolve the bugs without damaging the fiberglass?

Carny Bill
10-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Bill,

Yes...you won't believe it but use a clothes dryer sheet.

I wet it and put it under my brush. It works better than anything I have ever used. You will be surprised......Bill

RonS
10-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Yes dryer sheets work, I also use Purple Cleaner that I get from CarQuest Auto parst store. I always try to keep the front cap waxed.

2 DA WDS
10-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Dryer sheets are the best I have found. I wash the front first then go after whats left with dryer sheets. I use a ladder and hand because some of the residue is hard to see from the ground. Used sheets work just as good or maybe better than new. And a coat of good wax helps too. I have used Rejex before but sometimes its hard to find.

sr
10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
I use Bounce Dryer Sheets. Use it for the front of my truck as well. Have found nothing any better. The combination of the fabric softener and the coursness of the sheet takes them wright off.

Diesel-Gypsy
10-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Interesting..... :shock:
I never have any bugs there....?

Rick

2 DA WDS
10-19-2009, 11:02 PM
That makes me wonder Diesel-Gypsy, how do you get to that top of your truck to clean and wax it??
A friend of mine got one of those rooftop deflectors for his girly truck and said that instead of having to clean bugs off his suite he had to clean them off his deflector. But his was a lot closer to the ground.

BillA
10-20-2009, 07:36 AM
I guess dryer sheets are soft enough that they do not scratch the gel coat? I my search on the net for a remedy I came across Bug Bust (available at CW) and Bug Magic as two products advertised to easily remove bugs. Anyone have any experience with these products?

Motor31
10-20-2009, 08:19 AM
I don't get bugs on my front cap either. On the other hand it's pretty easy to take the truck to the truck wash and get those guys to get the bugs off. :D

billr
10-20-2009, 10:41 AM
No bugs on the trailer for me either?? :lol:

The do seem to just skip off the truck roof, maybe the angle, or maybe I just can't see them up there? :wink:

rjohnsonnm
10-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I also have used the dryer sheets and now my front cap is dull. No matter what wax I use it still looks bad.
Ron

Diesel-Gypsy
10-24-2009, 06:48 PM
That makes me wonder Diesel-Gypsy, how do you get to that top of your truck to clean and wax it??
A friend of mine got one of those rooftop deflectors for his girly truck and said that instead of having to clean bugs off his suite he had to clean them off his deflector. But his was a lot closer to the ground.

No such cleaning problems on my Volvo, I do clean some bugs out of the front grill, but that is ground level.
The windsheild is fairly east too...long handle squeegee, or stand on the valve cover.
It's just that the aero-dynamics of the Volvo are so good, bugs just glance right off it seems.

Underneath that smooth, aero-dynamic, curvacious exterior lies a mans truck though....nothing woosy about it at all....

Nuff said!

Rick

GlennWest
10-24-2009, 08:40 PM
bug and tar remover works great for me. I pull a lot at night. Those "love bugs" have been bad in gulf area also. They all come easy for me with lots of water following bug and tar remover.

ishie
12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I decided to wash our suite this weekend primarily to get the bug debris off the front fiberglass cap. I was not very successful. I was using a carwash detergent and scrubbed the cap three times, first with a soft RV brush and then with a soft carwash mitt. I would guess that 50% of the bug stuff is still firmly cemented to the fiberglass cap. The only thing that will remove it is concentrated pressure and scrubbing on each individual bug which could take hours. Does anyone know of a good cleaning product that will soften or dissolve the bugs without damaging the fiberglass?

im sure you are done with this one.. i was confused on where can i buy a bug deflectors?

terry and jo
12-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Ishie,

It is not designed as a "bug deflector," but the wind deflectors that some place on top of the pickups are designed to deflect the headwinds up over the top of the coach instead of directly against the nose.

In the process of deflecting the wind up over the front of the coach, the wind rising from those deflectors carry the majority of the bugs up over the top as well.

Terry

bucky49
12-14-2011, 06:24 PM
I use a micro fiber car wash cloth and plain water. Then use Turtles spray and wipe wax. No problem unless I let them bake in for weeks. I use same method all over trailer. Don't need a bunch of water so can do it in a campground with a bucket to rinse cloth, no hose.

RickandJanice
12-14-2011, 08:29 PM
I have found that RainX Bug and Tar Remover to be really good at removing the bugs that have baked on. I also really like Nano Wax spray wax by Eagle. Works better than anything else I have tried as far as keeping bugs from sticking. Just spray wax on and wipe off. Bugs will wipe off with just plain water and a rag or soft wash brush or pad. I apply the wax to the nose after every other wash just to make sure there is always a good coat on the nose all the time.