PDA

View Full Version : Living in a 5th wheel

HDFAN
10-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Hello everyone, I'm a soon-to-be fifth wheel owner with questions. My most important one is more of an opinion question. I would like to direct it toward those of you who have actually lived in a fifth wheel for a decent period of time, say 6 months or more. So here's the question: Given that the weather conditions where I live are decent, how hard would it be to live out of a fifth wheel for a whole year? We can shorten it to only a 7 month period but I was just wondering how you people felt about living in one for an extended period of time. We are going to have to move 3 different times while I'm on my clinicals so that's why we're buying one. So, just in your humble opinion, should we wait and only do it for 7 months, or did you enjoy it SO MUCH that you would recommend it for an ENTIRE YEAR. Just a little background on us: It will be my wife and I and our two dogs. We have the tow rig but not the fifth wheel yet and we're looking to spend $10-12k on the fifth wheel. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

wingnut60
10-02-2009, 10:56 PM
HDFAN.....You might want to repost this in the DRV section as this is the most active part of this website.

As to your question--hopefully someone will answer with some real life situations. As to me, we have 3 small dogs and are only out 2-3 weeks at a time. I don't think it is reasonable to get a livable fifth wheel for your purposes for the amount you mention--expect to spend at least 2X more, unless you are very lucky or settle for an older unit.

Joe

HDFAN
10-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I'm looking at older units. I've got my eye on an 02 Hitch hiker right now for $11,500. Just trying to do a lot of research before I commit. Thanks for the reply. Do you know anything about Crossroads (the brand)? Any good?

Motor31
10-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Answered in the full timer section. It's best to make your inquiry in one spot rather than the same thing in several places in the forum.

HDFAN
10-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah, sorry. I posted in this spot before I knew what a "fulltimer" was so I posted there as well.