PDA

View Full Version : Maple furniture stain

Gemstone
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
OK, I've done a search, thumbed through all 35 pages of posts, and can't find it.

I'm sure I've seen someone post the type, and where to obtain the maple flavor stain used on '06 ES TK3's or other models for that matter.

DW figured I was spending too much time loafing. She left three ink pens on the bedroom dresser.....when she found the leaks, she forgot that I used to refinish furniture for a living, and did what most DW's would do...she got out her trusty nail polish remover. 1000 grit wet/dry paper got rid of most of the stain, but it did penetrate the wood grain where she wiped away the finish with the nail polish remover. I'll need to get serious with the sandpaper now.

Anyone know of a source for a pint of maple stain ? I figure I'll need enough to do the entire top.

Regards
Gemstone

Motor31
09-03-2009, 10:58 AM
I doubt DRV used anything esoteric for a stain. You might try calling them and asking but I'd bet it's whatever stain they could get at the lowest price and you could get the same stuff at Ace, Leows or Home Depot.

2 DA WDS
09-03-2009, 04:03 PM
If its the cinnamon maple that the 05's used, JungleJim said Minwax Colonial Maple #223 matched real good.

Gemstone
09-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks, Tom....but I'm gonna hold out for an exact match....maybe someone will respond within a week or so. If I can get away with just repairing the two spots, that's my preference...
Otherwise, it means removing the top, taking it out of the rig to sand, stain and spray.
In the mean time, I've taken the spots down to bare wood, getting most of the stain out, then covering the spots with sanding sealer to keep wax from getting to the bare wood.

Regards
Gemstone

BobW
09-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Got a can from DRV. Don't know if they mixed to get what they have. What they sent was perfect.

Gemstone
09-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks Bob....I sent them an e-mail earlier today, no reply yet.

Regards
Gemstone

Gemstone
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
For those interested, the Cinnamon Maple Stain is sourced from:

Finnish Works, phone # 260-768-3220.

Wood products are sourced from:

Hoosier Woods in New Paris, IN. markde@maplenet.net
Apparently wood products are built to order by Hoosier Woods and assembled by DRV on site. I'm told the stain # for the model year 2006 was # FS-4930. For 2007, the number changed to: FS-6411, and are available for purchase in minimum quart size from Finnish Works. The product is classified a hazardous, thus must be shipped via UPS.

Regards
Gemstone

Gemstone
09-16-2009, 10:29 AM
As an FYI, the factory stain is designed to spray on, it is a thin, lacquer based stain, that while it is an exact match when sprayed, does not lend itself to be a wipe on stain. It's a close match when wiped on, but lighter. The cost to ship a quart was almost twice the cost of the stain.....given the cost, Minwax stain might be an option.

Regards
Gemstone