PDA

View Full Version : Sofa hide-a-bed

RonS
09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Has anyone replaced the useless sofa hide-a-bed. Any tricks that I need to know about removing the sofa in TK3. Will just replace with regular sofa, no need for hide-a-bed.
Thanks.....Ron

Carny Bill
09-02-2009, 08:31 PM
We did in our 06 and 09 CK3. Not too bad, just line your door way with duct tape, so u don't snag. Stand the hide a bed on end and rotate it as it goes out the door. Best of luck to ya.........

Motor31
09-03-2009, 11:01 AM
When we ordered our rig we had them delete the hide a bed and put in 2 swivel recliners instead. Lighter and far more comfortable as well.

RodeWorthy
09-03-2009, 08:12 PM
I believe mine has to go too. I made the mistake of paying extra for the 96" Elite sofa so the problem of removal is that much more difficult.

When we took delivery the folding bed mechanism was damaged and I requested a new sofa -- factory advised the only way to get it out was to take out the back window and pass the sofa out that opening. I rejected that option and had them install a new bed mechanism in the existing sofa. Down side to that was the new inards were dragged across the aluminum threshhold and badly gouged that.

I will try to get the sofa out the door before I take out the back window but it may be a no-go.

billr
09-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Chainsaw! :lol: (the sofa) :shock:

jdwilson3
09-06-2009, 06:32 PM
billr: NOT FUNNY...guy has a serious problem, how to get a 96" sofa out of his rig. You respond with CHAINSAW! The solution is a sawzall.

:D :D

Bigriver
09-06-2009, 07:09 PM
We actually utilize our sofa bed. Upon purchasing our 06' Elite RE3, deleted the recliners for a credit and added a futon. We now have two separate full size beds for my teenage daughters.

Now they can watch a movie in bed and have room for themselves.

BobW
09-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I have worked in the furniture bushiness for many years. The way I would do it is, take out the guts first. that would sure make moving it easy. The mattress come out, then open the unit. Take out all the screws and the metal bed will simply slid out from the bottom or top.

RonS
09-07-2009, 01:29 PM
My real concern is to get the new one in, I want one that I can lay on to take a nap when watching Judge Judy. I'm 6.2". The old hide a bed is going to the bone yard, and I do have a sawzall. Will check into rear window removal, going to Trailair in a couple weeks for upgrade (StageII) of level up system. Will look for sofa while in Goshen and I know I could find someone to take out rear window and swap things out and then back together. Will get on the phone after I find one that will suit our needs and still let the slides do their thing.

ponch
09-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Taking out the window is really very easy.

Remove the black seal on te outside and the have someone
on the inside gently push it into you hands. It really is that easy!

Clean off the old glue and reseal put the window back in place and push the rubber seal back in.

WALA couch out and couch in and window replaced. :D :D :D

RonS
09-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Ponch - Maybe I should wait until we get to the valley, then you could come over to supervise???????????

ponch
09-07-2009, 09:09 PM
LOL

southwoods46
09-07-2009, 09:14 PM
We have a 36 TK3 and removed the sofa through the door. Take off cushions, tie down the bed, stand sofa on end in doorway with top out and seatback towards the handrail and it comes out very easily, bottom(when standing) first. It is very heavy so a couple of good strong guys required. We replaced ours with two recliners. Not sorry! No need to remove the window if you have the sofa that fits between two end tables. If you have the longer/Elite length sofa, then I think the window needs to be removed.

RonS
10-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks to all that have talked me thru getting the hide-a-bed out thru the door. Did not have to remove the back window. It was heavy but my son-in-law and his friend are strong.