PDA

View Full Version : Bike Rack/Carrier

RonS
08-14-2009, 02:07 PM
I did a search but came up empty. Purchased (garage sale) a bike rack, now I dont know where to mount it. Any ideas. Dont have a receiver hitch on back of MS. In the past, just put bike between hitch and tail gate of dually, but getting things banged up. So have to come up with new plan.

missourijan
08-14-2009, 03:07 PM
We have a factory installed receiver on the back, but would never mount anything there again. Our bike rack cracked right at the "L" after going down the I 5 in Calif, which was kinda bumpy. Thank goodness the bikes fell and slid to the side of the road and didn't cause an accident. One of our pawn shop bikes was ruined. Soooo, we had a receiver made by a welder for the king pin. It looks like an upside down "U" with a receiver welded on top, and screwed into each side of the king pin. We traveled from Calif to Montana this spring and it worked great. Don't have a picture. It was less than $200.

RonS
08-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Tom&Jan - Do you have the trailair pin box, and is it a problem getting the bike into the rack and to secure it?? I assume you stand in the truck bed then have someoe hand up the bike, or use a ladder.

missourijan
08-16-2009, 08:05 PM
No, we do not have the trail air, would love to have it but don't. Yes, put the bike in the bed of the truck and then put it on the rack. It's not a big stretch. Will try to take some pictures in the next couple of days.