PDA

View Full Version : hot water heater problem

GlennWest
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I never had hot water until I got my propane filled. Does this mean my heating element is burned out or am I missing something. I'm very, very green to rv's.

bettyj
07-01-2009, 12:03 PM
The problem is:
You have two electrical switches one outside in the compartment with the water heater and another in the bottom cabinet by the stairs and outside door. It is where the vacuum cleaner and the electrical panel reside. The switch next to the vac cleaner needs to be turned on too. Looks like a light switch. It is in the very bottom cabinet on right and says Electrical Water Heater.

GlennWest
07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Found switch outside on hot water heater. It was off. Thanks. Next question, will electric heat very well or should I leave on propane. I know gas heats water much quicker in stick homes and these heaters are small. Again, thanks and God bless.

billr
07-01-2009, 01:05 PM
We use one or both sometimes depending on what power we are on 30 or 50 amp and if showers are done back to back.

If we are on 50 amp, we turn on only the elec and don't worry about running AC etc. And sometimes will turn on the gas heater to help it recover quicker. Then turn it off. It does go faster on gas, but costs.

If we are on 30amp, we do the same, but turn off the elec heater when AC is on etc. Just depends on power.

When we boon dock, its gas all the time. Turned off during the day after showers and dishes are done. It holds enough heat to last the day turned off.

Try out the different ways and you will come up with a good system for you. Just remember to turn both off when you disconnect the water. You need water pressure to the RV or water pump on so the tank is full all the time its on. Also turn off the elec when you don't want it anymore, or the next time you hook up and the power is low, and you crank up the AC, the water heater will be on and trip the breaker on the post.

I changed out that light switch used for the water heater for one with a red light so I can see that its on.

Bill

RGordon
07-01-2009, 09:38 PM
When we have our 12 gallon water heater on electric the wife and I can both shower and never run out of hot water.

bettyj
07-01-2009, 10:01 PM
We agree. Showers back to back depends on who uses how much water. Can switch to propane if you need hot water fast.

GlennWest
07-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks and God bless.

billr
07-02-2009, 10:25 AM
When we have our 12 gallon water heater on electric the wife and I can both shower and never run out of hot water.

Ok, now thats sharing! :lol: :lol:

GlennWest
07-02-2009, 11:49 AM
As my daughter would say, tmi. lol