PDA

View Full Version : awnings over slides

Carny Bill
04-04-2009, 09:02 PM
We had some very strong winds here in Illinois this last week. I just noticed the corners of the awning fabric has pulled out of the channel mounted to the trailer.

Anyone know the method to reinstall it. It appears there is a solid piece of plactic in the channel, I suspect it somehow is part of the holding method. Any help appreciated...Bill

jdwilson3
04-05-2009, 03:20 AM
Easy fix. Unroll the slide topper roller and "pin" the roller (I use a thin Phillips screwdriver). Once the roller has been pinned, you can pull the fabric out of the channels on both the RV and the roller tube. After you get it out, put it back in. It is easiest with two people on ladders at both ends of the slide.

Carny Bill
04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I guess the piece of plastic comes out and then is forced back in between the fabric, or does it slide in from one end?

jdwilson3
04-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Bill, it is a rubber piece with the awning fabric sewn over it, just like on the regular awning. There should be nothing to do, just pull it out of both the wall slot and roller slot, and re-insert.

Carny Bill
04-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I get it now...mine must be torn out..my fabric is seperated from the plastic piece.

jdwilson3
04-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Still an easy fix. A&E does not sell replacement fabric for their slide toppers, BUT, Carefree does! Same stuff, exactly.

When mine tore on my Avion, I got the fabric through an RV Tech who ordered it from Carefree.

By the way, Clear Duct Tape held it up very well until we were able to get the replacement. We were in Oklahoma when the topper tore, and it was 3 months before we ordered the replacement.

Carny Bill
04-06-2009, 08:41 AM
thanks for the idea's....I have a roll of the clear awning tape the cw sells.

have a good one...Bill

Carny Bill
04-17-2009, 10:10 PM
ok, today was finally a nice day in good ole Illinois with no wind. I closed my side, unwound the awning and locked it unwound. I could not find a way to get the awning material next to the trailer to slide out of the metal grove it is in. Any tips?

Huck
04-18-2009, 07:10 AM
did you remove the roller tube arms/brackets too?

Carny Bill
04-18-2009, 08:43 AM
No, I just closed the slide, unwound the awning to give me plenty of slack.

The awning is only pulled out about 1 1/2 foot from the end, so I thought I could slide the fabric with the plastic tube out of the end, tape the fabric over the plastic tube and slide it back in. The fabric and tube will not budge to side it out of the metal grove mounted on the trailer. I tried oulling plactic and punching and taping the other end with a plillips screw driver. Still no budge. I am clueless.

jdwilson3
04-18-2009, 09:30 AM
There should be one or two screws holding the fabric into the groove on the wall of the 5er. They are small Phillips screws.

Huck
04-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Use a screwdriver to spred the channel that the awning is slid into.
Then squeeze it back closed after you get it back in there.
It should be aluminum, so you should be able to work with it.
I have worked with them before.

Carny Bill
04-18-2009, 09:35 PM
That makes sense....today in good ole Illinois it's raining again, but when it quites I will try again....thanks again for the assistance....Bill