PDA

View Full Version : Suitable adhesive sealant for vinyl roof

RodeWorthy
03-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I need to mount some brackets to the roof of my '07 MS. I want to utilize an adhesive sealant and a single screw to secure each of them. I have obtained 3M 5200 adhesive sealant but I am advised it is too good -- it is permanent and very difficult to remove should it be necessary. My roof is the standard vinyl product used on the Mobile Suites. Anyone know of a good adhesive sealant that might be non-permanent, (i.e. removable with some effort)?

Also, am I correct that the roof decking is 5/8" plywood?

billr
03-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi Don,

Suggest using the self leveling sealant that DRV uses to seal the roof. I think its avail at most RV stores, call DRV to get spec.

It should be able to be removed if req.

Cheers,
Bill

Motor31
03-21-2009, 09:21 AM
I've used the same sealant as the factory on my roof to repair cracks in the beads around the vents and seams. It ain't removable unless you consider cutting it removing it. I would not depend on any glue, sealant or caulk used to hold an item on that EDPM membrane to be removable. That membrane can and will tear if you mess with it too much.

RodeWorthy
03-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I have additional information on adhesive sealants for use on the vinyl roof. DRV's Tom Peck has advised using SikaFlex http://www.sikaautomotive.com/ind-auto/auto-product/auto-product-flex.htm. I found Sika products at Home Depot but not SikaFlex.

I spoke with an associate at Home Depot and he was very high on the Sika Construction Adhesive. I bought some but on review of the technical data sheet I will return it.

I have decided to use the 3M 5200 Adhesive Sealant - fast cure version. It is a marine product for through-hull fittings and I have experience with it. It also is considered permanent. It is good stuff. The brackets I am installing are permanent so that is not such an issue. It will soften with heat to make removal somewhat easier and there is an expensive solvent that will break it down entirely if necessary.

Mike is right -- any use of adhesives on the vinyl roof and subsequent attempt at removal will most likely result in torn or otherwise ruined vinyl. Do not use these products unless you intend for it to be there forever.

Bill, the self levelling sealant such as Dicor Self-Levelling Lap Sealant is not an adhesive -only a sealant. You are correct that it is easy to remove.

Thanks for the replies.

On Edit: Modified references material for Sika Construction Adhesive and added SikaFlex which is produced by Sika's automotive division and recommended by DRV.

Diesel-Gypsy
03-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Ahhh...the roof is only 1/2" plywood not 5/8" as far as I know.
I wish mine were thicker...

Rick

RodeWorthy
03-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Thanks for reminding me about that Rick. I did confirm with DRV that the roof plywood is indeed 1/2". You folks with the big Volvo's could afford (weight-wise) the luxury of a thicker roof :) Being a dually guy I have to be content with the lighter weight roof.

jdwilson3
03-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Don, the product used is DICOR 501 (It is a self-leveling excellent product)