PDA

View Full Version : Double towing

BobW
02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Has anyone double towed with there DT? I would like to take our UTV with us, but I'm having trouble finding a way to do it. If I add a hitch to the back, it seems like there be little clearance to the back. Also check out this site swivelwheel.com they have a answer if I could find a way to connect it to the back. I'm looking at the one with two wheels. Also I just seen a F350 with a roof rack on top of the truck. Seems like it would be top heavy to me let alone the additional weight.

ponch
02-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Bob
We have a swivelwheel here in the campground, down in the RGV in TX, attached to a sob but he loves it. I am considering one myself.

You need a GOOD welder with knowledge of 5th wheels to install the hitch.

one such welder is in Granbury, TX. , Edwards welding service.
Ph.# 817-326-2473

BobW
02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Bob
We have a swivelwheel here in the campground, down in the RGV in TX, attached to a sob but he loves it. I am considering one myself.

You need a GOOD welder with knowledge of 5th wheels to install the hitch.

one such welder is in Granbury, TX. , Edwards welding service.
Ph.# 817-326-2473

Good information. I don't understand what is RGV means? Just where are you? We are going to TX in the next month around the El Paso area. Heading into Mexico.

layne
02-12-2009, 09:05 PM
We got our hitch in Granbury from Steve Edwards--he did a really good job and said the frames on DRV are the best. We tow a 14 foot v-nose enclosed trailer. We have had no problem other than being careful not to get in a situation where we have to back up. We are long since we have a F550 with star hauler bed on the truck, 36TK3 trailer, then the 14 foot trailer. When we haven't towed the motorcycle trailer, we've dollied a VW bug behind the fifth wheel; we never go anywhere when we're not towing behind the trailer.

ponch
02-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry Bob

RGV means Rio Grand Valley. Down in the ;lower tip
pf Texas.

Granville is up North of here.

Motor31
02-13-2009, 09:31 AM
We've been double towing for a little over a year now. I used a fabricator / welder in Tucson. Make sure there is plenty of "tongue" behind the trailer to allow the toad to clear the trailer, especially the ladder side. I did have to buy an extender for the hitch that moved the toad back a few inches.

Depending on what you have as a toad you may also need to set up a brake system for it.

BobW
02-14-2009, 12:00 PM
We've been double towing for a little over a year now. I used a fabricator / welder in Tucson. Make sure there is plenty of "tongue" behind the trailer to allow the toad to clear the trailer, especially the ladder side. I did have to buy an extender for the hitch that moved the toad back a few inches.

Depending on what you have as a toad you may also need to set up a brake system for it./Users/robertweigant/Desktop/bounder58.JPG.w560h420.jpg

As you can see the trailer does not articulate. So you can back up with no problem.

RussellQ
02-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I have a 2009 38 TKSB3 and I pull a Harley Superglide on a swivel wheel with the MS receiver. It is close but I remove the ladder and strap it on the trailer. I would like a little more room as it is not the easiest hook up for an old guy. I love the way it pulls. I had a 2006 MS used the MS receiver and slightly dented the ladder. it was slightly noticeable if you looked closely
I remembered to have a back-up camera installed on the new M/S when it was built so I can watch the bike and trailer.

Motor31
02-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Bob,

I have no idea what you are talking about there and your link is incomplete.

BobW
02-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Bob,

I have no idea what you are talking about there and your link is incomplete.

See the site
swivelwheel.com
or....
http://www.cruiserlift.com/index.html

Motor31
02-16-2009, 08:40 AM
That site really doesn't apply to us. We put the bike on the back of the truck. The only thing behind the trailer is the Jeep.