PDA

View Full Version : elctrical outlet

ponch
01-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Has anyone had too replace an electrical outlet?

I have one that has a burn mark on it.

lowes, home depo, ets or a rv store?

Thnaks

Gemstone
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
RV or Mobile Home supply will have these specialty outlets/switches.

Regards
Gemstone

bstark
01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I've replaced a couple and added a couple and haven't found anything unique in nature about the outlets used on the 120v circuits. Home Depot or Lowes will have more than enough varieties to go around.

ponch
01-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks bstark.

BobW
01-06-2009, 06:33 PM
There not the same as you find at HD. RV outlets have the contacts inclosed because most RV walls are very thin.

ponch
01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Good point Bob.

bstark
01-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Ponch, I should have clarified a bit further. The outlets used are of a type that allow for installation without a metal or plastic surrounding box with a strain relief clamping device as they reason these are not necessary for RV purposes and also because the very narrow walls don't allow for the use of a service box. They also use an outlet that has the push-connect type of connections which "hides" the contacts within the plastic body of the outlet. I prefer not to use these as replacements as the points of contact with the wire itself is confined to 2 small spots (of the same style as those crappy connectors used for tail-light wiring that we all end up replacing with soldered connections) that rely on the spring tension provided by the contact plates themselves. With the vibration these things get going down the road I much prefer the old fashioned wire-wrap-around-the-screw for reliability.

jack_diane_freedom
01-07-2009, 07:34 PM
My buddy purchased the plastic boxes and cut them down to fit the thin walls. Worked pretty good.

Wife of Big Doofus
01-10-2009, 12:05 PM
I can't find a light switch to match. The ones at the RV stores I've found are a darker bone color. Anyone know where I can order a new light switch? - it's the big rectangular one that is right inside the door of my 36SB that controls the lights over the sink/island.

Gemstone
01-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Call the factory or you might try here:

RV Parts Outlet (http://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/)

Regards
Gemstone

sr
01-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Ponch, I have replaced them as well. I use the typical "home outlets" from Lowes/HD, but i wrap the terminals with Electrical tape just to make sure nothing shorts them out. I prefer not to use the RV type just as Bstark mentioned.

ponch
01-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks Randy and everyone else that responded.

Ponch