PDA

View Full Version : fridgerator

ponch
12-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Well was working and checking things over so we can leave the 26th, opened the freezer door and everything was thawed and melted the fridge was warm also.

Checked all the fuses outside with an ohm meter and all check out fine.. However as I was pulling the fuses I got a whiff of an an ammonia like smell.

Right now the fridge is on gas. we'll see if that works. Before anyone asks the power is on and the micro shows it is.

Any suggestions????

john
12-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Ponch,
Mine did that. When I cleaned the ref. I moved the temp adjustment without knowing it. Lost a whole ref of food before I figured it out :oops:

ponch
12-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Nope John it 's in the right place.

I'm not sure the gas is working either. Ill check later

rdunk
12-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Ponch, I would assume that a "whiiiiiifffffff" of ammonia would indicate the cooling unit has a leak, and probably needs to be replaced. Hope that is not it, but, Dometic techs have a lot of experience replacing their cooling units (unfortunately for we RV'ers).

Good luck!

Stripit
12-03-2008, 07:14 PM
I think you might be in need of talking to these folks http://www.rvcool.com/

ponch
12-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Answered my own question.

ponch
12-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Well It is the cooling unit that went bad and has to be replaced.

Dometic in all their superior wisdom has decided that thoes of you that they paid for the fixes is just History.

I believe that they thought that there were just a few with problems and it ended up with a lot.

I talked to a technician today that told me that he fixed a unit (sob) this summer, tested it for two days. The customer picked it up and went camping. Later that week it burned to the ground.

The fix looked like a bandage approach. and it evidently did not work all that great.

So they are washing their hands after warranty runs out.

Needles to say they won't pay anything towards their mistake.

Good thing that I have CSP from Good Sams. They are picking it all up.

Everyone needs to continue checking weekly for a problem.

If you are not sure what to check for call dometic and listen to their description of what to check for.

Better safe than sorry

golf_bears
12-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Ponch,

Have you got a phone number for that Dometic voice message?

Take care and I hope all gets fixed quickly for your departure.

We hope to head out next week from WI for the RGV, so will be a few weeks ahead of you.

Drive safe and have a great Holiday Season.

Roland

ponch
12-05-2008, 09:16 AM
1 800 544 4881

Thank You

sr
12-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Ponch,

Did they have to replace the unit? What would have been the cost? I just subscribed to CSP. I am not a fan of insurance policies, but it sounds like we all need to purchase CSP when it comes to Dometic.

Glad you got it fixed before you hit the road.
See ya at Goshen in June!!!

ponch
12-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Randy

No they just replaced the cooling unit not the whole fridg.

Do not know what the replacement cost would have been. That being said insurance would only cover the cheapest route.

Csp is cheap compared to a fridge,furnace, awnings, every thing that had an OEM warranty Just one of these would make the payment 4 or more times.

Motor31
12-06-2008, 10:11 AM
The fridge is likely to be the single most expensive appliance in the rig and that includes the AC. I had to get a new cooling unit in an old RV I had about 7 years ago. It wasn't the largest model either and it still had a cost of over $900.00 then not counting labor. I had an extended warranty so my out of pocket was the $100.00 deductible.

ponch
12-06-2008, 12:35 PM
This one was $1040 + 280 labor + tax

ponch
12-10-2008, 05:30 PM
YAHOO Fridge is fixed!!! :D :D :D