PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Tank

mloftin
10-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Seams that my fresh water tank is filling up by it self, I had noticed a wet spot on the slab under the hook-up center after opening up the door I found that it was leaking out of the vent above fresh water fill. Turned the shore water off and turned the pump on and ran some water to lower the level. Last night I noticed another wet spot and again it was leaking from the vent, opened the cap and water comes pouring out, seams the fresh water tank is filling up on it on any ideas what could cause..

Motor31
10-27-2008, 10:38 AM
It has to be a check valve in the lines that stops flow from the lines to he tank. My guess is it has to be in the area of the pump. There should be a one way valve to prevent flow backwards into the tank from the pump. Try running the pump a bit and see if it seals up again.

I had a situation last summer that had me scratching my head. I keep the fresh water at 1/3 tank. I went to fill it since we were going to be dry camping a while and found the tank to be full and I had no recollection of filling it. Since we were in a park with full hookups I had no reason to fill the tank before that time. I was wondering if a bit of grit got into the valve and propped it open. It has not happened since.

jack_diane_freedom
10-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Had the same thing happen to us. Yes it is the check valve in the water pump. Since it is integral to the pump it cannot be fixed by itself. Requires a complete new pump.

wingnut60
10-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Same as Jack--got a new shurflo 5.7 to fix it.

mloftin
10-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the replies, that was what I was thinking that the only way water from the park up could get to the tank was through the pump, guess I will be replacing the pump..

wingnut60
10-28-2008, 02:49 PM
If you replace the pump, and it is a 5.7, might be worth calling Shurflo and seeing what a rebuild costs w/freight--then you have a spare.

I have one good one, one I haven't sent back yet.

Joe

rverdlm
10-29-2008, 08:53 AM
The pump has a good warrenty on it. I called SureFlo and they told me to take the pump to any of their dealers and get a replacement. I took mine to CW and they replaced it for me. The pump has a date on it so there is no confusion of it's age.