PDA

View Full Version : repairing window shades

berghild
10-26-2008, 12:14 PM
does anyone have instructions on how to re-string the day/night shades. I haven't a clue where to start. they were too tight I am sure, on this one window and I know I have a couple of others that should be loosened up a bit.
And perhaps there is a better string to use.
If you don't have instructions..do you have an idea how I can hole them up (it's the bedside shade) so that I can get a little air at night and then let them fall when I need to block the view? Last night I propped it up with a book, but then the bok was blocking part of the air!

jdwilson3
10-26-2008, 06:44 PM
http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2028&highlight=night+shades

wingnut60
10-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Cyndy,

Get the strings from the shade company as listed on the link--they will want to know how many you want to repair, and will send you enough string to do twice as many. Then, just get after it--if you mess up, save the string for a smaller shade. If I can do it, know you can. And remember, just loose enough on the adjustment to keep them from falling; too tight is what ruins the strings.

By the way, how is the refrigerator?

Joe

berghild
10-26-2008, 08:43 PM
refer doesn't know if it wants to freeze or go to 40 something. we are leaving Mexico tomorrow and will pick up the new thermistor that Dometic has sent to me in Ajon, AZ. We shall see, but I really don't think that is the problem anymore....I didn't before the new cooling unit either.....but we shall see...I kind of gave up for awhile and just used a ice chest...I wanted to be on the road soooo bad.
BY the way where is"the link" for the shades...I didn't see a link. I am tired so maybe I missed something.

berghild
10-26-2008, 08:57 PM
"I SEE, said the blind man"....I didn't know there was another post. thank you

wingnut60
10-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Specialty Window Coverings 574-262-5190

Read thru the link, it has lots of info.

Joe

berghild
10-26-2008, 09:08 PM
thanks....now hubby understands what I meant about loosening lup the screws....he thought I had a screw loose. THis will fix him...I'll let him restring them....he has more patience anyway. He used to do the mini-blinds in the old rig after the dog pulled them down. The dog lived.

golf_bears
10-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Once you receive your replacement string from Specialty Window Coverings along with the instructions you may want to fashion yourself a threading needle. I had to rethread a four string shade a few months ago. I fashioned a threading needle by taking a large paper clip, straightened it out and bent a small loop on one end to form a needle eye. Put the string through the eye and threaded the shade. It worked great and the rethreading went fast with no hassle.

Hope you get them rethreaded soon, take care.

bstark
10-28-2008, 07:17 PM
You can take a 16" piece of stiff wire and bend it in half and insert the halves into a crimp style automotive electrical 'butt' connector to make your threading tool also.

Use the bed as your work table so you can take the end pieces off of the shade rails and lay them out as they are intended to go back together. It's a safe bet the job gets done before bedtime that way also.

To avoid too much tension on the strings, use surplus string and when attaching those little plastic buttons back onto their holes in the wooden window frame apply enough tension to stretch the spring in the top piece just enough to keep the shade in it's fully up position.

Too little tension and the shade will drop by itself and it will stay as a night shade permanently. Too much tension and the string will abrade the holes in the shade and also fray so you'll have to repeat the job in a month or two.