PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Mistake

traveler
08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
After being able to "rub it in" for years, kidding a friend of mine for putting gasoline in his 350, I finally did it myself!

I put just under 2 gallons of gasoline in my Power Stroke 6 before I realized what I was doing and stopped. I called Good Sam and got hold of a diesel guy who said, while he could give no guarantees, he thought I could live with it.

I did the rest of my fill up with diesel and had, I think, 36 gallons of diesel and 2 gallons of gasoline in my tank. I was in Cincinatti, returning to Texas after two months in New York.

I headed out and did not seem to have any differences in performance or temperatures. After about 100 miles, I topped off with another 8 gallons of diesel, further diluting the gasoline in the tank.

Everything seems ok, but do any of you know if I should do anything to the truck. I have just done my 30,000 mile servicing and changed all the filters then.

Carny Bill
08-24-2008, 09:39 PM
a few years ago I filled my tank with gas.. Got about 50 feet and it stalled.

A mechanic friend of mine had me drain the tank, fill with fuel and add 2 quarts of motor oil. I still have the truck with 230k miles on it as a work truck.

RonS
08-25-2008, 08:21 AM
I did same thing w/5gal gas. I think my Duramax ran better. You will be fine, and dont need to do anything more than you have already done. I am no expert but being in your shoes I think all is well.

RonS
08-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Thinking back I now remember I also added about a half pint of 2-cycle outboard oil in the tank. That was about 15K miles ago, no problem with anything.

traveler
08-26-2008, 06:12 PM
I have run nearly 1000 miles since the screw up and put another 90 gallons of diesel inthe F350. No problems, runs as good as ever.