PDA

View Full Version : Slow draining shower

oldSalt
08-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Very slow draining!!

The last 3 nights or so while showering we've noticed that water builds up to about 3/4 inch above the drain. Last night I let the water run for 20 minutes and it maintained the 3/4 inch level. It took about 3-4 minutes for it to drain completely. I don't believe there is a partial clog as I have (very gently) used a small plunger on the drain. The bathroom sink is working fine. I keep the grey water tank closed and empty it every morning or so depending on usage of the washing machine. I know I can leave it open, and do on occasion, but prefer not to.

I checked the high point anti-syphon valve; but if it was shot all the drains would have trouble emptying.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Stripit
08-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Have you taken the screw out of the drain screen and cleaned out the hair? That is usually why it drains slow.

hitchup
08-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Get out your screwdriver and rubber gloves. It's not just hair, but slime builds up!

jack_diane_freedom
08-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Our bathroom sink did the same thing. Put some Drano down it and now it is just fine. Have had to do this a couple of times. I will go with the hair in the drain as others have suggested. The Drano works just fine and does not hurt the PVC drain pipes.

larry_electricguy
08-21-2008, 08:03 AM
WOW I didn't know that you could use stuff like DRAIN-O in the RV. Our bathroom sink has been filling about half way up before draining out. Will have to see if electric guy will allow me to put drain-o down the pipe!!

Betty

oldSalt
08-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone,

I'll give the old Drain-o a try.

Jim

jack_diane_freedom
08-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I see no reason why Drano could not be used as the drain pipes are black PVC just like a sticks and bricks.

Motor31
08-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Sticks and bricks homes don't use rubber sealed valves on the plumbing or have plastic (non PVC) holding tanks. Using drano may just destroy the seal on your dump valves. It's very caustic stuff.

jdwilson3
08-22-2008, 03:20 PM
AND, what will it do to the sensors?

wingnut60
08-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Not sure you can damage a sensor that doesn' t work.

jdwilson3
08-26-2008, 08:34 AM
OK, here is the sound of me knocking on wood.....mine have worked since the rig was new. We use "Pure Power" in our Black and Grey tanks. Maybe that has helped.

wingnut60
08-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Yes, knock on wood (or Corian?) Most sensors DON'T work from Day 2.
I know there are various ways to try to clean them, but some of them just malfunction period. Mine is one of them--they are no where near correct, so I don't rely on them. Visuals are foolproof, but not necessarily fun.

Guess it would be too costly to put in something that would work past the trailer warranty.

Joe

Motor31
08-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Not sure you can damage a sensor that doesn' t work.

Since it's sealed with a rubber gasket, you can make it leak. That would be worse than just not working.