PDA

View Full Version : Empty RV Parks?

BobW
07-21-2008, 01:41 PM
My wife and I are doing the Oregon Trail this time and in the last 8 RV parks, we've noticed that the parks we're only about 1/4th full. What have you seen out there? A number of people said they have seen the same thing. Also we've seen less RV's on the road. I think the high price of fuel has kept everyone home. Also the attendance at Quartzite was no way what it was in the past.

Gillesm
07-21-2008, 04:03 PM
We just did a week-end in Port-Sanilac Michigan and this way the campers were out and also a lot of units on the road,but most people are coming from short distances.

jdwilson3
07-21-2008, 07:13 PM
RV travel is generally down across Arizona. We are getting more "local" guests from within Arizona, New Mexico and California than in the past, fewer long distance travelers.

wannabe
07-21-2008, 11:15 PM
We were just at Inks Lake State Park, TX (Highland Lakes area) on Friday.
The campground was quite full....didn't see any open sites.
There were a lot of 5'ver, trailers, and pop-ups...even quite a few tents even in this heat....but only saw a small handful of MH's.
We also live near a resort town in TX and can hardly get out of our subdivision on the weekend for all the RV's coming in to town!

Good news here! Gas prices dropped by 10 cents overnight!

Motor31
07-22-2008, 09:47 AM
In traveling through Nevada, Oregon and Washington we are seeing parks with several vacant spaces. This includes places that had waiting lists in previous seasons. There was one park right on the water of the Puget Sound and they were only at 75% occupancy. RVing is taking a hit just like every other aspect of the vacation industry. Instead of vacations it's staycations to save money. Shorter trips or no trips and just stay home.

Haggis
08-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Was in the Glazier National Park middle of July/08. Park Warden said bookings were down 60% Found lots of sites empty all across the northern States from Montana to Michigan.

Motor31
08-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Something to consider is that CA., OR., and WA. all have high gas and diesel prices compared to other parts of the country. We are severely limiting our travels in Washington like we did in Oregon in order to prevent as much pump rape as possible.

Seattle is also raising prices on other things. It will now cost you 20 cents per each grocery bag, plastic or paper in the store. A nice new tax for anyone using the store and that includes grocery stores.

layne
08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
We are Southfork, CO and the parks here are all very nearly full. We're usually here earlier in the summer and we've never seen them so full. Everyone must be in this area!

golf_bears
08-06-2008, 08:16 AM
We are currently in southern NH close to the Mass. border. Campgrounds are full on weekends but plenty of space during the week. Campgrounds appear to be booked heavily for weekends and well into late August. We are making reservations about two weeks ahead and are struggling to get weekend space. Most folks we are meeting are from close by.

BobW
08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Here in Portland I've talked to a few dealers. They all say everything is fine. Bull. Three dealers have shut down in our state, that I know of and many laid off. Monaco has big problems along with all the rest. Alpha is down the tube. Most of the parks tell us that there business is local people and not many from too far away. All of the RV dealers have there Class A's in the back and there 5th wheels, campers and trailers up front. That's all that's selling. Walk into Camping world and it's like a ghost town. I agree, the hot spot RV resorts are doing OK. The high cost of fuel is eating away the RV industry and trickling down to everything else. Everything we have done and do will be effected by this.