PDA

View Full Version : Screws

BobW
07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
More of the same thing, broken screws. We are on a short trip around Oregon and before I departed, I went up to check the roof for leaks. The 4 screws that hold the ladder to the roof were snapped off at the heads. This is the second time I replaced the screws. The last time I made sure they were bigger, i/4 inch. I had to drill the holes out on the metal bracket for that. Well the snapped off again. This time I replaced them with stainless.
The other problem was with the screws that hold the metal plate under the bed that attaches to the pump the raises the bed. This was fixed by the RV dealer last year. All they did was tighten up the screws. I drilled out the i/8th holes to 1/4 and added some screw bolts. Well see.
Screws have been a really big problem with the DT. I think , so far, I've replaced 50 of them. :?

2blackdogs
07-12-2008, 07:51 AM
I too have replaced many screws in my 2006 36TK3. The 4 screws at the top of ladder were perhaps the most serious. I prefer to not use the ladder anymore.
Also check the screws on the slideout topper.

Gemstone
07-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Here's some of the screws that I took out of our '06 TK3...where the front cap meets the roof and the center roof seam. The screws were discovered after less than 2K hiway miles were put on the trailer.

http://picasaweb.google.com/goodwinfarm/RVDefects?authkey=kKGstGydhwg

Our unit is # 2701...it would be interesting to know whether other units manufactured around the same time are also afflicted with the defective screws.

Regards
Gemstone