PDA

View Full Version : Something in the freezer stinks

2 DA WDS
07-06-2008, 11:13 PM
We have the side by side Dometic fridge. At the bottom back inside the freezer there is a drain hole and little 'trough'. There is a reddish brown liquid that gathers there that stinks. There is nothing else in the fridge but ice and the ice maker. Anybody know what this could be? Leaking refrigerant? I'm guessing it must be coming from behind the panel that is on the back wall inside the freezer.

billr
07-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Tom,

You may know already about this, but just in case, there is a drain that goes out the back to the lower compartment vent with a black plastic hose that drains condensation, melted ice, spilled liquids, water from the fridge. Check that its not kinked or plugged? It should be sticking out the cover. I hope thats it.

Don't have to tell you I suspect, if it's not it, shut it down and get er checked out.

Good luck!
Bill

2 DA WDS
07-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Bill,

Yes, its actually gathering in the little trough that would channel it to that hose but there is not enough of it to actually get into the hose. We have just been taking a swipe at it with a paper towel. My DW 'the bloodhound' has smelled it a while but I didn't until this weekend when I sniffed the paper towel after wiping it up.

rverdlm
07-07-2008, 03:31 PM
What does it smell like? The refrigerant is ammonia. Is that what it smells like? Can you force water through the drain?

2 DA WDS
07-08-2008, 09:03 AM
It just smells bad, not ammonia. The drain is not the problem. The drain pipe actually has a collar around the hole inside the fridge. This leaves about 1/8 inch of trough that will hold liquid before it gets high enough to drain. This stuff never gets high enough to enter the drain hose.