PDA

View Full Version : Hitch

RonS
06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Did anyone ever try to pull the hitch release handle while hooked up? For years I was under the impression that the weight of the trailer would not allow the jaw to open. Wrong!! I have the valley extreme 20K, and it will open. Not a good thing. Now am looking for a way to lock the handle so some fine person does not give it a pull when Im away from the rig. I have a dually so whatever system used must be within reach.
Any ideas??

2blackdogs
06-02-2008, 08:38 AM
My TrailerSaver hitch came with a 18" pc of pipe and a rod with a hook on the end. It's the only way one could reach the arm and mechinism that unlocks the hitch. The hitch in my other truck had a plate that slid down over the grab handle and I padlocked it every time I hitched up.
Bob

billr
06-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I had a Reese before, and they have a place for a lock to stop the handle from being pulled. My Trailer saver also has a location for one and I ALWAYS use it! Yes they can be unlocked, so lock up!

Have heard a personal account of it being done to someone and off she came when they pulled out!

Sorry, not familiar with your hitch. You might try to have a piece of steel welded in place to put a lock through to keep the handle from being pulled.

Bill

Motor31
06-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Answered the same kind of post under the hitch area.

bstark
06-02-2008, 07:05 PM
My exposure to those hitches has been limited to the lighter 16,000lb and under but the ones I've seen all shared a common feature; the ability to remove a 1/4" or 5/16" bolt in the handle and replace it with a common spring pin so that you could easily remove the entire handle to prevent people from having entertainment at your expense.

ishie
09-02-2011, 09:49 PM
had a problem with my hitch i went to install my rails the other day and im coming up short. with rails and the frame brackets i need 54 3/16" from the back on the bed to the back of the front rail. that would put the rail under my aux tank. the 58058 rails are a 10 bolt design. i can go with rail kit 30124 witch is a 6 bolt design and ill have 52 1/16" inches. thats just enough room to mount the front rail and ill be able to keep my box. the first rail kit when installed would put the king pin 2 5/16" inches ahead of the center line on the axle. the 2nd rail kit would put the pin only 3/4" of an inch in front of the axle. how much difference is that that going to make on the front axle weight. another one is my hitch covers (http://www.stylintrucks.com/category/towing/hitch_covers.aspx) have a hard time looking for the 5th wheel hitch in the back of my truck. I generaly keep it installed since I don't haul much in the bed of my truck. Just hate to see it setting in the weather all the time, fading & starting to rust in places. Just curious as to what others do to protect there hitch with the exception of pulling it out. any help will do. thanks! :oops:

wingnut60
09-03-2011, 08:15 AM
My hitch pin is 1" forward of the axle and hasn't caused me a front axle problem. I also have a Retrax slider cover that keeps the hitch covered when not in use.
Suggest a sliding cover of some sort, or just take the hitch out, clean it good, remove rust spots, prime and paint.
Joe

Gemstone
09-03-2011, 09:28 AM
"Just curious as to what others do to protect there hitch with the exception of pulling it out"....

I'm not sure what needs protection.... I only use my hitch in case of emergency, the big truck does the hauling these days. My hitch comes out of the Dodge, sits on the ground and becomes the base for my DirecTV antenna.

Regards
Gemstone