PDA

View Full Version : Toilet question

Motor31
05-23-2008, 10:41 AM
I vaguely recall a topic a while back about a Sealand toilet that wouldn't stop flowing fresh water. Ours is now doing that. Why does it always happen before a holiday????

I tried to find the thread using the search but it must have been cut when the forum was pared down. I don't want an over flow so I was wondering if the poster that had the same problem would repost the solution. I am looking at taking the valve apart and repairing of replacing right now.

It's just the fresh water valve into the bowl that's the problem.

rverdlm
05-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Mike; I had that problem a while ago, but I don't think I posted it. The valve is very easy to take apart and clean. I put a little vasalene on the rubber seal before assembling it and I've had no problem since.

Okie
05-24-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't think I would use Vaseline on it because it is a petrolium product and can cause it to deteriorate over time. You can get some silicon jell at Ace Hardware that will work great and not have a negative effect. Just what I would do.

Okie

rverdlm
05-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Okie; you are right about using a petrolium product on some "rubber" products and I did actually use a silicon grease. The seal is most likely a synthetic "rubber" and may or may not be be problimatic with a petrolium product. I do though agree with you that if you can find a silicon grease it's a much better choice.

rverdlm
05-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Okie; you are right about using a petrolium product on some "rubber" products and I did actually use a silicon grease. The seal is most likely a synthetic "rubber" and may or may not be be problimatic with a petrolium product. I do though agree with you that if you can find a silicon grease it's a much better choice.

Motor31
05-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I took the valve assembly apart. The hardest part of the job was getting the outflow hose off of the nipple as it had conformed to the nipple. I didn't find it to be dirty or any material in there but wiped it down anyhow. I did find the little "V" style seal to be out of round. I suppose after almost 3 years of use the rubber is losing elasticity and consequently a full seal. Coating it in silicone grease purchased at a scuba diving store both lubed it and sealed it again. I don't have a lot of confidence that it's a "permanent" repair so I'll go get another valve assembly to keep when it does let go. Since it's a holiday weekend all of the RV parts stores in the area are closed so it will have to wait a bit.

hitchup
05-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Has anyone seen this blog on treating the seal with Lemon Pledge? Am sure it would help with the fragrance, too!

http://rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/2008/05/lemon-pledge-good-for-wood-and-rv.html

billr
05-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Mike,

Call Sealand/Dometic they may send you a new valve. They were great when I called for a seal kit. No charge and fast.

Bill

rverdlm
05-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Mike; I didn't have much confidence in mine after the fix ether. In fact I turned the water to the trailer off everytime we went away for awhile, but it's now been over 6 month with no problrms. By the way I didn't find anything obvious ether, but it only takes a little flake of calcium to get lodged in the wrong spot to make it leak.