PDA

View Full Version : Slideout seal problem

dshind
05-22-2008, 01:41 PM
We rv fultime.We live in a 36ck3.Had a problem with rain soaking my carpet on the kitchen slide.Looked on top and discovered the slideout seal that runs along the top of the slide in several places wasn't even touching the roof.Talked to Kent at Doubletree and he said it probably shrunk....probably from the sun.I told him the inside seal( under the outside one) was probably a half inch from touching the top of slide.He said probably shrunk from sun. I asked how the sun gets through the outside one to do that.He said heat transfer.I think this was a bad design and it's CYA time.By the way my side is not out of align and goes in and out great.Anyone have any ideas on a fix?
Thanks

Motor31
05-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Welcome to out of warranty out of concern. :?

Before replacing check to see if the slide has dropped. When it goes in does the edges of the slide have equal clearance all around the opening or has it dropped a bit? If it dropped it would have a larger gap on top than the lower edges.

If it didn't drop your only solution is to buy seal material and replace it or have it replaced. Measure the seal you have now and compare to new material in a supply store and see if it did "shrink". You'll also need an idea of what size seal to buy anyhow.

rverdlm
05-24-2008, 08:57 AM
First off, since this unit is almost 5 years old and the leak is new I don't see this as a design problem. I also doubt that the area of the seal has changed. I think you need to look for the source of the leak being some where else. Water travels many times long distances in the roof cavity before it finds the place to come in and make the floor wet. I would look for areas that need caulking such as around the windows or up on the roof edges.